• Advertisement

Disney's Big Hero 6

Clappy

Saw this earlier today.

I thought it was... fine? The plot was good enough, I guess. It felt like an episode of Scooby Doo. My main complaint was the lack of development on anyone but Hiro. They fucking knocked Hiro out of the park; his character was amazing and hands down my favorite part of the film. He went through a lot and the writers weren't afraid to get dark when they needed to. But, at the end of the day, this is a superhero team movie, and I never felt that they were a team. I didn't connect to any of the other characters - I thought they were cool and they definitely had potential, but they just didn't get developed enough for me to care about them as much as I cared about Hiro and Baymax. The writers sort of just cut corners and gave each character an easily definable quirk that could be used as their personality, and that's fine if you want to cut corners but I expect more from these guys.

Everything else was good enough. I haven't been emotionally invested in one of their movies since Tangled so I didn't exactly feel anything when the big emotional scenes (spoiler: they are big emotional scenes in a Disney movie) happen, but that's more on me and not on them because they executed those scenes just fine. The designs were fucking mind-boggling and were probably my favorite part of the film. The costumes looked so cool and the sets looked gorgeous and everything about Fred's house was amazing. I really want to buy the art book for it because I just loved everything they did.

Didn't stick around for the post credits scene but I definitely will when I eventually go to see it again.

While I think my expectations were way too high, I enjoyed this. Part of my problem was, like terminoob, not enough focus on the rest of the Big Hero 6 crew. Way too much focus on Hiro and Baymax. Which is what I expected but not so much that it would overshadow the other four as much as it did. Otherwise, everything else was great. I liked the villain twist, I did not see that coming. The jokes were good. The animation was gorgeous. While Disney has had two greater animated non Pixar movies in the past two years, Big Hero 6 continues on this renewed path of great animated films.

9/10

Didn't stick around for the post credits scene but I definitely will when I eventually go to see it again.

While I think my expectations were way too high, I enjoyed this. Part of my problem was, like terminoob, not enough focus on the rest of the Big Hero 6 crew. Way too much focus on Hiro and Baymax. Which is what I expected but not so much that it would overshadow the other four as much as it did. Otherwise, everything else was great. I liked the villain twist, I did not see that coming. The jokes were good. The animation was gorgeous. While Disney has had two greater animated non Pixar movies in the past two years, Big Hero 6 continues on this renewed path of great animated films.

9/10

Spoiler

I didn't think it was that much of a twist because Alistair's nose was too big and would never have been able to fit inside that mask.

Spoiler

I didn't think it was that much of a twist because Alistair's nose was too big and would never have been able to fit inside that mask.

Spoiler

I was going based off of Alan Tudyk syndrome since Disney likes to cast him in an antagonistic role far too often. See: 42, Wreck-It Ralph, and Frozen (despite him not being the main antagonist obviously)

Spoiler

I was going based off of Alan Tudyk syndrome since Disney likes to cast him in an antagonistic role far too often. See: 42, Wreck-It Ralph, and Frozen (despite him not being the main antagonist obviously)

Spoiler

I was half-kidding because it was obvious that we were supposed to think Alistair was the villain since we got no evidence to the contrary until the beginning of the third act, but he also just had a huge nose and that mask couldn't have contained a nose of that magnitude.