• Advertisement

051. Party Pooper Pants A.K.A. Spongebob's House Party

storytime7

Party Pooper Pants is an episode that tends to divide people. I saw some really good defenses and attacks on it. In my opinion, I'm kinda in the middle of that. 

Let's start with the Patchy stuff. Now it's not particularly rant-worthy like the horrendous segments from Truth or Square, but it's all stuff we've seen before. Not really anything important. The Underwater Sun was great, though. 

Now for the part I actually care about in an episode. The idea of having a House Party was a creative idea, but that doesn't excuse them from not doing enough creative stuff with it. It starts out nice. I liked the 19 seconds thing and the baked piñata with deviled eggs was HILARIOUS, along with the other cooking stuff. And we realize SpongeBob can find where kindergarten classmates live. Creepy. And SpongeBob's schedule was funny at first and his reaction to 40 seconds, but it all went down from here. SpongeBob is an unlikeable a**hole who only cared about his boring way to do a possibly good party. The othe characters were fine, but WHY does SpongeBob have to be so not himself, when it's classic SpongeBob (Season 1-4 IMO), where he's RARELY the bad guy!At least he gets his proper comeuppance with his arrest, which even though for ridiculous reasons, still helped a lot. And when he got back he realizes the key was under the mat, which a) he should've remembered, and  B) THERE WAS NO MAT!!! And SpongeBob just thinks it was the best party ever without learning anything. 

So, I don't know what to think about this special. It was a pretty mixed bag. I'll just give it a 5/10. 

For some reason, a lot of people consider this special one of the weaker episodes in the classic era, and I really don't see why. In fact, this episode is probably in my top 10 list best episodes ever. It's partly nostalgia, but also just the vibe and the colors that make it stand out. In my opinion, the episode is really rewatchable as well. The Patchy parts get old a little faster, but are still fine and are not too long, plus that song is awesome and stuck in my head a lot.

The main character being SpongeBob, who is paranoid his party doesn't go well, while everybody is just enjoying themselves without being led by SpongeBob's 'How to throw a party-kit' was a very funny plot to focus on. All things bad that happened to him were all just consequences of him not loosening up, which was funny and even kind of relatable. This episode also stands out because of the fact that this is one of the rare times all main characters, and even characters like Larry, Mrs. Puff and Scooter are at the same gettogether. This episode makse me very happy. I don't agree that SpongeBob was out of character, since he has been kind of delusional and compulsive before (Employee of the Month, As Seen on TV and the first 20 seconds of The Bully).

10/10 ❤️

Personally, Spongebob wasn't a jerk. He probably just got worried about safety from reading the instructions, resulting in him becoming a control freak. And he got locked outside. Jerky. I also hate the cops. They artest him for NOT INVITING THE COPS TO HIS PARTY.

Me: I hate you.

Good 8/10

Highlight: 40 Seconds

Lowlight: The cops