• Advertisement

Cars 3

I like Cars.  I hated Cars 2.

That being said, I'm not against a third movie.  I just hope the plot is better than Cars 2, which I have faith the plot will be better since Pixar has indicated to focus on the quality ever since Cars 2 happened.  It's obvious why they are making a third movie btw.

And Cars makes tons of money in merchandising no matter how much these movies make at the box office.

I like Cars.  I hated Cars 2.

That being said, I'm not against a third movie.  I just hope the plot is better than Cars 2, which I have faith the plot will be better since Pixar has indicated to focus on the quality ever since Cars 2 happened.  It's obvious why they are making a third movie btw.

And Cars makes tons of money in merchandising no matter how much these movies make at the box office.

It was obvious why they made a second movie too; why's everyone acting like this is so new? I'm pretty sure I kept saying over and over again that Cars 2 was made for money.

It was obvious why they made a second movie too; why's everyone acting like this is so new? I'm pretty sure I kept saying over and over again that Cars 2 was made for money.

Well if I rewind back to 2011, my initial thoughts were that John Lasseter wanted a second Cars movie so he can make a better movie since there was so much negative backlash against the original Cars.  I mean I knew sequels were made primarily for money, but I thought Pixar didn't have those intentions.  Oh how naive I was.

Flashforward to present day and I've just come to accept the fact that sequels just exist for money, just like Cars 2 was.  I'm ok with that, but if I end up watching the movie, I have the right to complain about how bad the movie is/was. :P

Well if I rewind back to 2011, my initial thoughts were that John Lasseter wanted a second Cars movie so he can make a better movie since there was so much negative backlash against the original Cars.  I mean I knew sequels were made primarily for money, but I thought Pixar didn't have those intentions.  Oh how naive I was.

Flashforward to present day and I've just come to accept the fact that sequels just exist for money, just like Cars 2 was.  I'm ok with that, but if I end up watching the movie, I have the right to complain about how bad the movie is/was. :P

What? Sequels don't exist just for money. Cars 2 does, yes, but that's not the golden standard of sequels. Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3 don't exist for money, Monster's University doesn't exist for money, and Finding Nemo 2 isn't being made for money. Pixar's a company that needs money to function, so every once and a while they're going to make movies purely for money purposes, but more often than not they're going to make movies because they want to make movies.

• Like 4

What? Sequels don't exist just for money. Cars 2 does, yes, but that's not the golden standard of sequels. Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3 don't exist for money, Monster's University doesn't exist for money, and Finding Nemo 2 isn't being made for money. Pixar's a company that needs money to function, so every once and a while they're going to make movies purely for money purposes, but more often than not they're going to make movies because they want to make movies.

I'm not making that out to be a bad thing. Hell I love good sequels like the ones you mentioned (although I wasn't as big a fan of Monsters University as everyone else on this site, but it was still good). Not all sequels are made for money yes, but if they make a good amount of money on merchandising, then the temptation will be there for a sequel like there was with Cars 2 and now possibly Cars 3. Like you said, studios need money to stay alive obviously.

What I failed to mention in my first post and should have realized it earlier is if they (not only Pixar, but any studio) put time and effort into the film, then of course they are going to see the results payoff like they did for both Toy Story's and I hope Finding Nemo 2. I have faith in Pixar which is why I will be tempted to see Cars 3 despite me not liking Cars 2.

We should all shut up, but unfortunately, I've already devised an idea for a drinking game where you take a drink in the Planes/Cars threads when you see the word "money," so there's nothing I can do.....except this:

*Lots and Lots of Jets and Planes commercial, wherever I'm supposed to find it*

Now I can shut up.

We should all shut up, but unfortunately, I've already devised an idea for a drinking game where you take a drink in the Planes/Cars threads when you see the word "money," so there's nothing I can do.....except this:

*Lots and Lots of Jets and Planes commercial, wherever I'm supposed to find it*

Now I can shut up.

Do you even drink?

• Like 2