• Advertisement

Total Drama All-Stars

Steel Sponge

Spoiler

Alright, so we got the Final 2, which are Zoey and Mike/Mal. Who am I going to root for? Between Zoey and Mike/Mal, (or MALejandro, as I'd thought I'd coin myself) I got my money on Zoey at this point.

Eh, I'll write a review of this season later on.

So apparently the feedback for this season was so negative that Fresh TV caught wind of the backlash, and is letting fans send them emails to express their concerns (according to jjs who provided me with this information).  So I figure I'd vent out my problems with this season because while I still consider Total Drama Action the worst of the series, I think this is probably my second worst season.  Going to put this in spoiler tags for those who haven't watched it yet or missed a few episodes, so keep reading at your own risk.

Spoiler

POSITIVES:

-Alejandro.  I think they handled his character perfectly this season.  From his return to the game in dramatic fashion to out strategizing Heather in what was my favorite elimination of this season.  Also, with that being said, I kinda wish Heather made it further this season too.  I think Alejandro blindsiding Heather with the immunity idol could have been done post merge.  It would have made that much better of a lasting impression, but at least Heather/Alejandro got together.  They are probably my favorite shipping on this show since I love their dynamic a lot.

-Mal.  Pretty good antagonist.  Not great like they were making him out to be, but I love how dirty he played.  Very evil and got me to hate him.  Job well done.

-Chris and Chef.  They easily got the best laughs from me this season like usual.  Eventually I'll grow tired of them, but I'm not there yet with Chris and his narcissism or Chef and his macho, yet soft side self.

-Owen not being a competitor.  THANK YOU!

NEGATIVES:

-Oh boy, where do I start?  Well let's point out the obvious flaw.  WHAT DO YOU EXPECT WHEN YOU HAVE A 13 EPISODE ALL STAR SEASON?  You get rushed plots and rushed conflicts that don't really get proper time to develop.  They should have saved this for a 26 episode season like an All-Star season should have got.  I really hate this new 13 episode season shit we've gotten for two and soon to be three years in a row.  Cut it out with this shit Tom McGiilis and Jennifer Pertsch.

-Duncan/Gwen/Courtney/(and somewhat Scott) triangle (or square) - I was looking forward to what was going to happen next in this triangle.  Man did they fuck this up.  They spent most of this season wronging Duncan for what they did to Courtney.  You know, as much as I like Duncan, I wouldn't have minded to see him get some karma if they were going to get this route.  But what did they do?  They made Gwen out to be the victim.  For God's sake, what do these writers have with their Gwen obsession?  Are the writers forgetting Season 3?  Gwen was just as much at fault for the cheating as Duncan was.  So Duncan gets karma, but Gwen doesn't?  Putting her on the Villains team was not karma.

Oh and since when were Courtney and Gwen ever best friends?  They cooperated for only one or two episodes in Season 3 and they automatically became best friends?  That's bullshit.  Those two were never friends to begin with.  They emphasized their friendship heavily this season and I think it was done just to get Gwen sympathy.  I feel no sympathy for anything that happens to Gwen.  I can't think of a more bland character that the writers love more than Gwen.  Yet, she makes it incredibly far this season anyway because...SHE'S GWEN.  God, I hope they are done bringing Gwen back after this because once again, she made it so much further than she should have.

Also, the Duncan/Gwen break up was handled badly.  Not surprised there because it was just Duncan asking Gwen if Courtney is talking about him.  But Courtney hooking up with Scott?  Ugh, I already hate the fact that Scott's character got turned into an absolute dumbass after becoming a great villain in Season 4, but they couldn't have forced a relationship any worse than Courtney/Scott.  Once again, the writers rushed something that didn't even need to happen.

-Bringing back half of Total Drama: Revenge of the Island cast.  I get they wanted to do this for interaction purposes, but that means you are bringing back seven cast members of a half season, while bringing back seven cast members of a whole three seasons.  At least bring back more interesting characters that didn't get a chance for full development from ROTI.  I mean B, Dawn, Brick, and so many more could have had a chance to get some more development since some of the ones they brought back were rather pointless.

-Most importantly, the eliminations:

Lindsay: They brought her back to vote her off first.  Not going to complain about it there 

Lightning: It might be bias, but I love Lightning.  I know he already won once, but so did Cameron.  Lightning has just as much an interesting character, maybe even more so than Cameron.  But the writers freaking love Cameron when he got overexposed with the amount of time that was given to him.  I feel like they could have done more with Lightning, but whatever.  At least I like the reason for his elimination, which can be better said than others.

Jo: They absolutely butchered a possible rivalry with Heather.  Otherwise, why is she an All-Star?

Sam: Very surprised he got eliminated when he did because he was getting an Owen edit.  Otherwise, why is he an All-Star?

(Cameron gets saved)

Heather: Already mentioned how badly they fucked her elimination up.  Should have saved it for later in the season.

Sierra:  God talk about annoying characters.  Hated her in World Tour, but understood why she made it as far as she did.  Was even more obnoxious this time around.  I muted some of the scenes she was in blabbering about Camcody.  God she should have been eliminated very early.

Duncan: Once again, his karma storyline sucked.  I was glad to see him get eliminated to put an end to this, but getting arrested for blowing up Chris's mansion?  I just didn't like how they handled Duncan this season at all.  At least make Gwen legitimately feel the consequences of karma.  Not make her act overemotional until she became friends with Courtney again.  Oh and once again, Cameron gets saved.  The writers' massive boner for Cameron is way too obvious.

Cameron: How am I not surprised he gets eliminated in the special 100th episode.  He should have been gone so much earlier.  His character seriously had no reason to make it as far as he did.  I get they wanted to use him to reveal how evil Mal truly was, but Cameron should have not made it this far in the game.  I'm really sick of him.

Alejandro: Wish he made it further, especially since he was the only character who I really had no problem with the way he was booked.  Oh well.

Courtney:  I seriously hated how they tried to make Courtney out this season. She's a bitch.  She is uptight.  They tried to make her likable this season and feel remorse for being the victim of cheating.  But these writers just don't get it.  We are suppose to hate Courtney.  To me at least, she is the character I love to hate.  Her bitchiness makes her likable.  Which is why I was glad to see her get the move to the Villains team because that's where she belongs.  Except they moved her there to patch things up with Gwen.  Fuck that.  Oh and as for as much crap as I gave Action, the episode Courtney got eliminated in (Sundae Muddy Sundae) is by far the worst of all time to me.  Just a horrible viewing experience from start to finish.

Gwen: I already ranted enough about Gwen, even in my elimination order for Duncan.  Her purpose making it this far is beyond pointless.  Next.

Scott: Hate how they handled his evil villain to oblivious dumbass change.  Just because of that, he shouldn't have made it as far as he did as well.

Zoey/Mike: I'm grouping these two together for a reason.  Both are two of the blandest characters in Total Drama history and it's only fitting they got so much screen time this season.  Absolutely made my viewing experience of this season unbearable.  I get why Mike made it as far as he did.  He was the antagonist.  I have no problem with that since the antagonist always has to have his just desserts.  But why Zoey?  I think Mal as the villain would be even more memorable if he eliminated Zoey as quickly as possible just to prove how diabolical he really was.  I mean I couldn't think of a better way to make Mal a far memorable villain than to eliminate the girl Mike loves.

But Zoey herself is just incredibly bland and incredibly boring.  She has no real personality and absolutely nothing memorable about her.  Which ironically I can use this argument for Mike without his personalities.  He is very boring and has nothing really memorable about him than his personalities.  They already got far too much screen time in Revenge of the Island, both of them.  Now they got far too much screen time in All Stars.  Can't wait for both of them to be away from my television screen in Pakitew Island.

I've already written a lot about how much I hate this season.  The more I think about it, maybe this season will replace Action as my least favorite, but Action just got so much wrong and dragged on for far too long.  Revenge of the Island is still a pretty bad season of Total Drama.  I think the main problem with it is trying to fit so much into a 13 episode season.  They should have seriously saved this for a whole 26 episode season order than trying to cram so much in a half season like they did.  Either way, I have a good feeling Pakitew Island will restore my faith in the Total Drama brand.  But for one of my favorite animated television series, this was incredibly disappointing.  I can definitely understand why this season got so much backlash and I guess you consider me one of the ones who is complaining about it too.

• Like 1