• Advertisement

Why Did Sporadic Airings Begin?

Ron

As you all know, SpongeBob has one of the most confusing airing patterns of any show. In Season 1, they aired weekly according to the production code. Season 2 and 3 mixed up the episodes, but they still aired very frequently, often on a weekly basis like Season 1. Then, in Season 4, which lasted two years unlike the previous three seasons, we entered into the sporadic airings we now know of. No more weekly airings, just random broadcasts of new episodes. It's been that way ever since, except now it's worse in that they air a buildup of a new episodes all at once.

Can the movie be directly to blame for this, or are there other reasons that have contributed to this confusing pattern? What are your thoughts?

Nickelodeon, in recent years, hasn't seemed to have been able to keep a consistent schedule with their programming. 2007-2009 were the worst years, when Nick would only air new episodes in either marathons or premiere weeks.

I guess they feel that if they make the fans wait several weeks or months for new episodes, and then premiere the episodes as events, they'll get better ratings. However, I personally think more fans will look forward to weekly airings, such as Friday night (like they were briefly doing last September).

Plus, they already air four hours of SpongeBob reruns each day. I'm pretty sure most of us are bound to get tired of the same reruns.

Edited by SpongeSebastian
blahblah

Nickelodeon, in recent years, hasn't seemed to have been able to keep a consistent schedule with their programming. 2007-2009 were the worst years, when Nick would only air new episodes in either marathons or premiere weeks.

I guess they feel that if they make the fans wait several weeks or months for new episodes, and then premiere the episodes as events, they'll get better ratings. However, I personally think more fans will look forward to weekly airings, such as Friday night (like they were briefly doing last September).

Plus, they already air four hours of SpongeBob reruns each day. I'm pretty sure most of us are bound to get tired of the same reruns.

I know I do. They need to cut in half the amount of reruns they air, and focus on establishing a consistent airing pattern.

It's not SpongeBob only, they do this for the other series too. Well, I assume that the most viewers of the Nick channel are kids. Kids can watch same episodes over and over again. Also, if you are really fan of some series you would enjoy watching old episodes too. So, amount of reruns they air won't drastically reduce the amount of viewer.

Lets look at this from the other angle. If they air new episode, for example, every friday the season will end in about 6 months. What should they air during other 6 months? I think it is better to air new episodes frequently through the year instead of give us all at once and left us waiting 6 months for more episodes. I know by myself that every time I watch all episodes of some series at once I miss the next episode even more.

btw. I have just made my first post on the SBCommunity that is posted directly from SpongeBob Wiki. :)

I don't know what caused it, but it annoys the heck out of me. No show I've ever seen has been as sporadic as this one.

The iCarly fandom says hi.

Lolno

iCarly is inconsistent, but not nearly as sporadic and odd as SpongeBob's patterns are.

Lol, I'm exaggerating mostly :P .

Unlike SB, iCarly airs just a few new episodes at a time and then take long breaks, but with iCarly, its only because S4-6 have no more than 13 episodes, so they naturally have to be spaced out a lot.

For SB, I have no idea.