• Advertisement

terminoob's Sketchy-Sketchbook

terminoob

Work in progress/first time using Illustrator. We got assigned a typeface and had to choose a movie genre that fit the "look" of the typeface and illustrate a scene based on the genre using five letters/numbers/special characters we chose (I chose T, I, O, 3, and %). I decided to do film noir. Still have to add the background and color.

o875Zti.jpg

I'll upload more crap once finals are over.

Hey I use Micron ink pen too ;3

You just keep getting and better, good job! 

Thanks! I've started to ween myself off of Microns. I got a Pentel Brush Pen that I'm using more and more, and it gives me much better line weight and it's a lot easier to shade because it can just make blocks of dark. Once you get the hang of how to use it it's really really amazing. If I'm doing something like that voodoo crocodile drawing a few posts up then I'll use like .3 Microns so lines can be consistently small, but other than that it's Brush Pen all the way.

Cool, cool. Makes me want to post up my own art again...

Wait, you said you go to MassArt, right? Funny, that's actually not far from where I live. Actually, I was pretty close to signing up for the college nearby that, Art Institute of New England (though that may just be a safety/backup school). But I'm taking a year off now instead of just zooming off to college once September comes around... I decided I wasn't ready to go to college, yet. Plus, I was kinda late... I'm gonna work on my portfolio and some other stuff in the meantime once my HS Senior-year ends.

Cool, cool. Makes me want to post up my own art again...

Wait, you said you go to MassArt, right? Funny, that's actually not far from where I live. Actually, I was pretty close to signing up for the college nearby that, Art Institute of New England (though that may just be a safety/backup school). But I'm taking a year off now instead of just zooming off to college once September comes around... I decided I wasn't ready to go to college, yet. Plus, I was kinda late... I'm gonna work on my portfolio and some other stuff in the meantime once my HS Senior-year ends.

Yeah, MassArt; though I'm transferring to SVA at the end of the semester. I didn't have a great art program in high school, so I think if I had taken a year off I wouldn't have progressed enough skill-wise to a point where I'd be happy and could see myself doing it in the future. I more or less treated my time at MassArt as my "gap year(s)" because it was cheap enough where I won't be in debt for the rest of my life but I still got art school experience and the type of teaching and guidance I needed to help further my skillset.

If you want to be an artist/go to art school, then on your year off I'd suggest (in addition to drawing everyday) to know what it is you're drawing. Learn how things work and get confident in your lines. If you don't then you won't improve (or you'll improve very minimally). If, for example, you want to draw cartoons, you need to ground the cartoons with a sense of realism by making sure that a moose looks like a moose and a squirrel looks like a squirrel and a baby wearing a hockey mask and holding a flamethrower looks like a baby wearing a hockey mask and holding a flamethrower. Even aliens and monsters and mechs are based off of reality by taking attributes from real life and distorting/adding to them (Beast, for example, wasn't just a random drawing; he was created by combining different animal parts). It's a lot of reference/observation drawing at first, but it'll separate you from the schmuck next to you who's just freeballing it.

-

Teaser of things to come

Spoiler

FLl29i6.jpg

• Like 1