• Advertisement

Green Eggs and Ham (Netflix)

For most of my life, I've always believed that Green Eggs and Ham was un-adaptable (save for that one age old television special). I'm absolutely curious to see just how anyone could manage to work out a full-fledged series that's based on this source material. Given that this teaser presents us with Sam saying "Drop the flavor hammer," I am feeling pretty skeptical.

Edited by Steel Sponge

I predict (more likely), that the series will feature Sam I Am, basically telling all the different stories that Dr. Seuss has published either under his own name, or under the pseudonym Theo Leseig. Although admittedly, it would be a good way to give adaptations to Dr. Seuss stories that would be too short to adapt into a full-fledged movie. We'll just have to wait and see.

Even though this trailer does absolutely nothing of note (seriously its impossible to judge this teaser trailer more than any other teaser trailer in recent memory), I’m intrigued by this heavily because of who they have casted for their voice actors:

Adam DeVine as Sam-I-Am

Michael Douglas as Guy-Am-I

Diane Keaton as Michellee

Ilana Glazer as Eb

Eddie Izzard as Snerz

Tracy Morgan as Fox

Keegan-Michael Key as Narrator

Daveed Diggs as Mouse

John Turturro as Goat

Jeffrey Wright as McWinkle

Jillian Bell as Gluntz

I hope this is good because that’s quite the cast list.

• God Himself 1

It seems more like an animated version of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles with Dr. Seuss characters  than Green Eggs and Ham, aside from seeing the food in that one scene. But I really like how the animation looks. You don't see a lot of traditional animation nowadays, and it really looks beautiful. 

• Like 1

So Season 1 was actually really good.  Was the plot was a little contrived?  Yes.  But it’s an adaptation of a seemingly unadaptable Dr. Seuss property.  I didn’t have high expectations for it to begin with.  But the series makes up for it by being quite imaginative.  I think Seuss would be quite proud of how the team behind this (Ellen DeGeneres was one of the many involved as producer) made the final product.  It has his sense of creativity and vision.  And yeah there are pop culture references, but unlike basically every Seuss movie adaptation, the ones here are really damn clever.  

Also Negi’s comment about it being basically an animated version of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is 100% correct.  But add that in with really imaginative locations, incredibly clever writing, great voice actors, and beautiful animation (they really put those millions to great use, this is some of the best hand drawn animation I’ve seen in years).  Highly recommend.