• Advertisement

Dreamworks dumbassedly states that only small children watch animated films

Burgerpants

3 hours ago, Fred Rechid said:

Yeah, only small children watch animated movies.

South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut? That's definitely a kids movie.

Beavis and Butt-Head Do America? All the kids will enjoy that!

Sausage Party? You look me in the eye and tell me that that's not the perfect movie for kids.

I don't agree that only kids watch animated movies, as evidenced by my other posts in this thread, but those are horrible examples to use. Sausage Party was/is a huge risk for a studio to take because while everyone is aware that animated movies can be "all-ages", they still have a very obvious stigma of being just for kids and marketing an animated movie strictly for adults is risky. Of course adults will see it because of the cast, but R rated wide-release animated movies not based on an existing property aren't something that's actually ever done. There's plenty of indie animated movies that are super adult (ie: basically anything by Bill Plympton and Don Hertzfeld), and foreign animation can be mature as well (Ghibli movies, Sylvian Chomet), but that's a whole different ball game. Depending on how well Sausage Party does we'll probably see a surge of "adult" animated movies, but that's still not a solution to "all-ages" because that's just targeting one demographic instead of the other. We need movies that everyone can enjoy, not just a select pocket of people (yes we can have those too because we obviously need movies like that, but the market for animated movies shouldn't be divided into a "for kids only" category and a "for adults only" category - if we can get shows like Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, and Regular Show that can appeal to anyone in any demographic then movies should be the same).

The other two are movies based on pre-established properties that had huge followings already and it didn't matter too much if they made any kind of profit because South Park and Beavis and Butthead were both (or still are, in South Park's case) hugely popular shows (not to mention those movies came out in the 90s). The solution to ending the stigma of "only small children watch animated movies" isn't to just suddenly make R rated animated movies that kids aren't even allowed to see because that doesn't help anything - it's to actually make normal (PG rated) animated movies that everyone could enjoy watching so kids can enjoy them, adults can go "oh, cool, I don't want to shoot myself in the face when I watch this", and teenagers can go and not be embarrassed that they still watch animated movies.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, terminoob said:

I don't agree that only kids watch animated movies, as evidenced by my other posts in this thread, but those are horrible examples to use. Sausage Party was/is a huge risk for a studio to take because while everyone is aware that animated movies can be "all-ages", they still have a very obvious stigma of being just for kids and marketing an animated movie strictly for adults is risky. Of course adults will see it because of the cast, but R rated wide-release animated movies not based on an existing property aren't something that's actually ever done. There's plenty of indie animated movies that are super adult (ie: basically anything by Bill Plympton and Don Hertzfeld), and foreign animation can be mature as well (Ghibli movies, Sylvian Chomet), but that's a whole different ball game. Depending on how well Sausage Party does we'll probably see a surge of "adult" animated movies, but that's still not a solution to "all-ages" because that's just targeting one demographic instead of the other. We need movies that everyone can enjoy, not just a select pocket of people (yes we can have those too because we obviously need movies like that, but the market for animated movies shouldn't be divided into a "for kids only" category and a "for adults only" category - if we can get shows like Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, and Regular Show that can appeal to anyone in any demographic then movies should be the same).

The other two are movies based on pre-established properties that had huge followings already and it didn't matter too much if they made any kind of profit because South Park and Beavis and Butthead were both (or still are, in South Park's case) hugely popular shows (not to mention those movies came out in the 90s). The solution to ending the stigma of "only small children watch animated movies" isn't to just suddenly make R rated animated movies that kids aren't even allowed to see because that doesn't help anything - it's to actually make normal (PG rated) animated movies that everyone could enjoy watching so kids can enjoy them, adults can go "oh, cool, I don't want to shoot myself in the face when I watch this", and teenagers can go and not be embarrassed that they still watch animated movies.

I was joking with my post.

• Like 1

Aaaaaahhh.

On 6/11/2015 at 6:56 PM, terminoob said:

I have opposing statements!

I think they're totally being dumbasses. Their track record gives me no hope that they can single-handedly turn the industry around. I mean, seriously, just think for one second about how stupid this is.

- They have evidence that kids aren't seeing as many animated movies now than they used to.

- They have evidence that all-ages are seeing more animated movies now than they used to.

"Kids", let's say, is... 7-12 (those are arbitrary numbers - they could be like 4-8 or 3-9 or whatever, the point is that there's a small gap).

"All-ages", let's say, is... 7-40 (again, kind of arbitrary - the point is that the gap is huge).

By definition there are less people in the "kids" demographic than there are in the "all-ages" demographic, and there are even less people in the "kids" demographic now than before, but DreamWorks is still only going for that demographic.

There's no way they won't lose money no matter how you look at this. They're aiming at a demographic with fewer people in it. They could make movies the whole household could watch on a rainy day - now they're making movies that only the youngest kid will be watching (and even they'll stop watching a couple years after getting the DVD because they'll grow out of the demographic that movie was made for in the first place). They're being stupid. They're the ones that are perpetuating the myth that animated movies are only for kids because they're too rigid to adapt with the times. And you wanna know the kicker? DreamWorks was ruling the all-ages demographic just ten years ago when Disney was the one floundering. DreamWorks' early canon includes Prince of Egypt, Spirit, Road to El Dorado, Antz, and Shrek - not to mention Kung-Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon coming along only a few years ago. Disney's canon in the early '00s was Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Home on the Range, Brother Bear, and Chicken Little - all of which were bombing at the box office while DreamWorks and Pixar were thriving. There's absolutely no reason why DreamWorks should be doing anything that they're doing.

Old summer memories.

9 hours ago, terminoob said:

New summer memories. :)

10 hours ago, terminoob said:

That stigma has still persisted even though there have been many great animated films that appeal equally to people of all ages. I personally believe it will never die, and it's mostly because the general public has a very poor perception of the animation process and assume it's just one guy in a room hitting an animate button and making quick cash or something. Their perception would completely change if they knew about the passion, blood, sweat, tears and sheer work that goes into animation,

Well, to be fair, adult animation in the cinema in the mainstream is kind of a thing of the past now. You don't see any modern Bakshis making a 21st century version of "Heavy Traffic" or something and getting a huge release like these kiddie Dreamworks and Pixar movies do...

• Like 5