• Advertisement

Bordertown

Joe Biden

3 minutes ago, Teamwork said:

It looks like something he'd make

Yes but I think that's because Mark Hentemann, creator of this show, is a Family Guy writer. Again, Seth has rarely to do with this show.

• Like 1

Yeah, just like on American Dad, Seth MacFarlane is just an exec producer. I don't know the full details about this show, but I'd assume that Mark Hentemann is not only also an executive producer but the showrunner too along with someone else and what WhoBob said is also true. The show was created by Mark, who also created 3 South for MTV which kinda looked like this visually. They did go with a different art style slightly for this show.

They have cartoonist Lalo Acaraz and the Ask a Mexican columnist Gustavo Arrellano working on this show and several writers who have nothing to do with Family Guy on staff. 

There have been a bunch of new clips for the second episode up. I think this was the worst of the bunch just because of the laziness involved with the explosion and not animating that part. The rest of the clips are hit and miss.

Edited by Sailor Man
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Teamwork said:

Oh jeez. The animation in that is genuinely awful and stiff. I could probably do a lot better than that.

Most animated sitcoms have never really had "great" animation to begin with, but Fuzzy Door productions stuff is usually like this. More robotic and stiff, so they have to rely more on the writing. Even Bob's Burgers looks weird, but the show is pretty well done from a writing standpoint so you get used to it and they do sometimes try to get some animation timing in that show too.

Edited by Sailor Man

Just now, Sailor Man said:

Most animated sitcoms have never really had "great" animation to begin with, but Fuzzy Door productions stuff is usually like this. More robotic and stiff, so they have to rely more on the writing. Even Bob's Burgers looks weird, but the show is pretty well done from a writing standpoint so you get used to it and they do sometimes try to get some animation timing in that show too.

I wonder why that is. Budget? I mean, a lot of kid's shows have really fluid animation, like Gravity Falls (which you should catch up on :P), recent Spongebob and Star. Those might have lower budgets than the average adult cartoons even.

2 minutes ago, Teamwork said:

I wonder why that is. Budget? I mean, a lot of kid's shows have really fluid animation, like Gravity Falls (which you should catch up on :P), recent Spongebob and Star. Those might have lower budgets than the average adult cartoons even.

Not really budget. They spend a lot of these shows at FOX. It's just how the creator wants it. Who knows why. Seth shows rake in tons of money. 

Edited by Sailor Man
  • Like 1

Just now, Sailor Man said:

Not really budget. They spend a lot of these shows at FOX. It's just how the creator wants it. Who knows why. Seth shows rake in tons of money. 

Maybe Hirsch's new show at FOX will have better animation.

I think the only characters that I kinda like are Ernesto and El Coyote. They could have just made the show centered around Ernesto and made it more a slice of life show, making it observational about what Latinos go through when they emigrate to the US and live here for a long time and then keep that Pablo Barracuda character in too. At least it wouldn't involve another dumb dad because Ernesto's the character that has it made on the show and is more successful than Bud. That would have been more relatable to a group of people and there would have been a lot more potential in the concepts. Just change up the character designs a little bit and this could have been a decent show. They could also get rid of some characters that are absolutely unnecessary and don't add anything to the show like Gert and maybe try to rework JC's character some more.

Edited by Sailor Man
  • Like 1

I got to finish the second episode. A little bit of an improvement over the first. this one actually got some more chuckles out of me and a moment where I was actually laughing. Still not great, but it's less boring than the first episode. I'm gonna keep watching this to see if it starts picking up some more like American Dad did. 

Overall, I'd say the show is more mediocre than outright bad at the moment. Very little cutaway gags at all in this show.

Edited by Sailor Man