• Advertisement

Is character abuse overhyped?

E.V.I.L.

I figure I should post this here too.
Disclaimer: I did get rather bitter near the second half so forgive me if my rant seems way too mean-spirited to be considered rational. :P

_________________________________________________________________________________

1) Intro:

Alright, there are many reasons to not like a pre-movie and (especially) post-movie episode: flanderization of characters, awful execution, mean-spirited jokes, and filler. I can understand all these reasons. However, there's no denying that many of these are often nitpicked at and overused just to find points to hate an episode that, frankly, are not even justifiable. This thread, let's focus on abuse. Sure, there are the obvious ones like A Pal for Gary-- never mind the fact that there's also extreme OOC problems; however, are episodes like Professor Squidward, Krusty Towers, and Jellyfishing ACTUALLY abuse?

2) Definition:

What does character abuse even mean? I can't speak for everyone here, but for myself, character abuse must:

1) have the abused character do NOTHING wrong; make them as innocent as a pretty princess

2) have the abuse overstep it's boundaries. Gary abuse will take less to be awful as he's an innocent character. In contrast, Squidward is vain, so it takes far more to truly be 'abuse'; applies to Patrick and Krabs too.

3) not have enough at the end to make up for anything

a)

Here's the problem: calling situations in which the character deserved everything 'abuse' is like calling situations in which evil characters are evil 'justified'--being rude is never okay and in the perfect world of cartoons, it should be dealt with accordingly. Of course, if a character in generally nice such as Gary, then being rude should be taken more seriously because that's incredibly out of character.(SB in A Pal for Gary) On the other hand, if a character is generally rude like Squidward, then being rude should be taken less seriously with MORE DOSES of less serious karma. In illustration:

Gary is a nice pet lel------> Gary destroys Bikini Bottom -------> SpongeBob grounds him for a LOOONNG time

Squidward is a snarky octopus ------> Sleeps on the job -------> Gets paycheck cut --------> Insults SpongeBob ------> Gets another paycheck cut ------> destroys Bikini Bottom -------> forced to do community service for the rest of the year

B)

There is but ONE exception: the abuser MUST apologize and make things up. If not, it's abuse and it's mean-spirited. A Pal for Gary could have gone like this

SpongeBob is an oblivious idiot ------> Gary saves him --------> SpongeBob feels bad, apologizes, and promises to get him any treat he wants

How Dumped SHOULD have been (2 scenarios)

Patrick gives snail back---------> His rock is taken away by a bunch of snails

Patrick gives snail back ------> Patrick apologizes to SpongeBob for literally making him miserable for life until Gary came back ----------> They all make up and go take Gary on a walk... together!

Sounds cheesy? You're ultimately watching the wrong show. Of course, the creators would make those endings amusing--for non-sadists--somehow. They could add humor, bring out SpongeBob and Patrick's goofiness, or just show them happily together later; just DON'T end it in a mean-spirited note!

3) Episode examples:

Now that messy mess is over, what in the show truly IS abuse? In my opinion, A Pal for Gary AND Dumped both constitute as character abuse and I won't explain those again. Here's other episodes that are, in my opinion, some kind of character abuse, and I'll elaborate why.

a)- Abuse

I'm With Stupid:

SpongeBob is trying to help Patrick -----> Patrick is helped ------> patrick begins to make fun of SpongeBob and amke him feel bad to the brink of literal insanity ---------> *no karma for Patrick whatsoever*; *no apology*

Good Neighbors:

Squidward literally just wants to relax quietly in his own home -----> SpongeBob and Patrick continually bother him -------> SQUIDWARD GETS BLAMED FOR THEIR ACTIONS! -----> .... okay, here's an exception to the no karma rule: when there's little remorse or guilt while THE CHARACTER GETS PUNISHED for something not done by him.. that's jerky.

Choir Boys:

Squidward wants to go to the Choir -------> SpongeBob STALKS him and outperforms him ------> Where's Squidward's apology from SpongeBob? Why does SpongeBob win in this episode?!

Yours, Mine, and Mine

SpongeBob wants to share a toy ------> patrick won't let him and is a complete ::dolphin noise:: --------> Patrick not only doesn't apologize or get karma but HE ALSO SAYS A VERY DOUCHEY RESPONSE PAIOGIWHIGHWPVI

One Coarse Meal:

Plankton literally was tame with his attempt; he just gave up rather than put up a fight -------> Mr. Krabs ::dolphin noise::ing scares Plankton to suicide -------> Mr, Krabs not only refuses to apologize or gets LITTLE karma but he also LAUGHS. He freaking LAUGHS! LAAAUUUGGGHHHHSSS!!!!

Gone:

I shouldn't even have to explain this. SpongeBob is a person--a being that thrives on socialization--and he did not deserve any of that episode as he's often nice along with his mean moments. It doesn't help that they all go and ditch Patrick later?!

The Sponge Who Could Fly:

SpongeBob does EVERYTHING for people------> Bikini Bottomites treat him like crap ------> even if there was a slight apology, it wasn't even close to enough for me personally.

See, those are some great examples of character abuse.

B)-overhype

You want to know when my blood boils? When people either:

a) overblow tiny things into 'abuse'

B) call things abuse when the character clearly did something to deserve it

Let's take a look, shall we

The Camping Episode:

Squidward is a douche and does everything SpongeBob and Patrick told him NOT to do -----> Sea bear attacks him ------> SPONGEBOB AND PATRICK SAVE HIM -------> Squidward and them make up

Where on earth is the abuse in this? if anything, Squidward's just getting what he deserved.

KRUSTY  TOWERS:

Squidward is a douche and refuses to do his job -----> Patrick is a douche and refuses to be respectful to Squidward ------> Mr. Krabs is a douche and refuses to treat his employees with more respect -----> SpongeBob... I got nothing. This is precisely why I don't get why people target SB out of all.

But yeah, anyways ------> THE HOTEL ::dolphin noise::ING EXPLODES AND SQUIDWARD/PATRICK GET THEIR BONES OBLIBERATED WHILE MR. KRABS LOSES BUSINESS!

HOW. ON. EARTH. WAS. THAT. ABUSE.?! The only explanation I can think was SpongeBob being abused, and from SpongeBob's personality both generally and in this episode, you could tell he was proud to serve the hotel and was excited at the end. Please stop picking out things in good post-movie episodes to call them bad. rolleyes.gif

Professor Squidward:

Squidward illegally impersonates Squilliam-----> remember, he BREAKS THE LAW! -------> once again, he STOOPS DOWN TO A CRIMINALS LEVEL -------> He gets turned in by Squilliam (I would do that if I were him) and bam Squidward is arrested

So, how is this Squid abuse? Don't give me this "I don't think he deserves it in my opinion and you should respect my opinion" BS because I know most people who say that would not flinch a finger if this weren't their favorite SB character. Squidward wholefully and painfully deserved everything; he can be successful and beautiful without having to imitate Squilliam

House Fancy:

I can see the argument that he got his toenail ripped off. Other than that, he won. End.

Suction Cup Symphony:

gEn236W.jpg

He won in one of the few times post-movie he wins... THANKS. TO. SPONGEBOB. AND. PATRICKEND

4) Conclusion

Final verdict: Character abuse IS a problem and there is absolutely no denying it. However, when there isn't any darn character abuse, then I think people need to stop nitpicking beyond crap just to hate an episode. Don't get me wrong; I have nothing to enjoy about Professor Squidward. It's not rage-inducing, but it's very blah compared to the few Season 6's I find genuinely enjoyable: Suction Cup Symphony, first part of House Fancy, Krabby Road, etc. Also, don't use the excuse "other characters get away with it". Well other people get away with murder, but why does that mean you should? Finally, make sure that before calling something abuse, you double-check to see if the character did anything douchey/rude in the beginning and/or the abuser eventually makes it up. Those critical reasons are what seperate Cephalopod Lodge from Club SpongeBob; that is Squidward was enjoying his private life in the former while he was butting into other people's in the latter. 

5) Your input please sbface.png

What's your opinion? Do you think I'm being way too harsh? Am I not being harsh enough? Do you really think Squidward is flawless and innocent enough to never be touched? Can a paragraph be all questions? I hope you enjoyed the read-- unless... did you tl;dr this? Did you think I was going to not make that a question? Please tell me your opinions though?!

• Like 3

I honestly think that the barometer on whether "character abuse" bothers me personally is how funny it is. Episodes that just have Squidward, or Plankton, or whoever meeting misfortune after misfortune with no real punchline are the ones I dislike. And that does come down to telling a cohesive story, which kind of ties in with your main point. If the character doesn't deserve the abuse in some way, then the abuse should consist of maybe a couple of throwaway gags, and definitely not the focus of an episode.

But it is also definitely over-reported. People say "Krusty Towers" has abuse? Really? How do they even watch the show? Boggles my mind.

• Like 3

I honestly think that the barometer on whether "character abuse" bothers me personally is how funny it is. Episodes that just have Squidward, or Plankton, or whoever meeting misfortune after misfortune with no real punchline are the ones I dislike. And that does come down to telling a cohesive story, which kind of ties in with your main point. If the character doesn't deserve the abuse in some way, then the abuse should consist of maybe a couple of throwaway gags, and definitely not the focus of an episode.

But it is also definitely over-reported. People say "Krusty Towers" has abuse? Really? How do they even watch the show? Boggles my mind.

Humor is definitely a very important factor; it's another reason why the abuse works in The Camping Episode but NOT in Choir Boys. The Camping Episode did a great job at walking the fine line between slapstick humor and abuse by not letting it go too far, keeping it funny, and giving a reason to make it seem like that's what should happen. In contrast, Choir Boys is awful because SpongeBob is literally STALKING Squidward, only to ruin his day in the most unfunny way when he deserved absolutely nothing.

And yes, on that SBM thread, people were complaining how overrated Krusty Towers was because it had too much character abuse which I thought was pooey because everyone lost in the end and everyone was a douche. (except maybe SpongeBob. He did seem excited at the end though so oh well) Saying episodes like Krusty Towers and Suction Cup Symphony are abusive are just nitpicking at that point just to have a reason to hate post-movie episodes that aren't that bad. :P

I was typing something super long that no one would've read, so I'm just going to agree with this instead.

Also, that's a horribly formatted post. It's a chore to read.

I was typing something super long that no one would've read, so I'm just going to agree with this instead.

Also, that's a horribly formatted post. It's a chore to read.

Thanks for the input. I'll make sure to type more organized next time.

In short, if it wasn't for character abuse, Donald Duck and Tom [Tom and Jerry] would be flat out boring characters, for example.

Those shows are about teasing though so 'abuse' is sort of the main point. :P