box

300px-The_Hot_Shot.jpg
============ The Hot Shot ==============
Season 8
Aired on June 18, 2011
Wrote by Aaron Springer, Derek Iversen
Rating: (6.7/10.0) C+
=====================================
Apologies for holding this off for quite a while - Drive-Thru was just simply so boring I lost my mood.

The Hot Shot is Drive-Thru's partner - and it's barely more interesting than it. This episode doesn't have really any interesting history or anything, it had some promos, I remember watching it once one summer, but other than that it's mostly "ehhhhhhh". After watching the episode for the first time, I just kind of shrugged. It's nothing amazing - it's pretty substandard, but it's better than Drive-Thru which was just another Krusty Krab episode that OH MY GOD WAS SO BORING. Our writing crew this time around is, again, Aaron Springer with a friend - not Dani this time, but Derek Iversen of all people. How does this episode of SpongeBob hold up? Well, I suppose it's worth a look.

Actually, we don't begin in the middle of the Krusty Krab.. we're moving to different measures in this episode! Thank Neptune. If you may notice, Season 8 takes place in the Krusty Krab or with the Krusty Krew in almost the absolute majority of the episodes - the previous three were all KK related. This time around, we're moving to Boating School of all places, where SpongeBob is heading to another day of complete failure at the helm of Mrs. Puff. When he sees fish screaming and being happy and that kind of stuff, he thinks they're welcoming him. They aren't welcoming him, but they ARE welcoming a new student - the son of famous race car driver Tony Fast, Tony Fast.. Jr... who gets a pretty big fanfare. Let's talk about Jr. - I don't really like him. He's possibly one of the most boring of what will be the many original characters we'll get this season. The OWC worker was supposed to be there for like 2 minutes so nobody would really remember him - but Tony Jr. will be with us for the majority of the episode. I think my main problem with him is that there's just not really much of a character - He's really just.. the famous son of Tony Fast, the also famous race car driver. He's kind of smug and maybe is a bit of a troublemaker - but that's all we get. He's kind of like a flat piece of cardboard from one of those really cheap amusement parks - you look around and see a world of wonder, and then you see this thing and he's just kind of junk. Luckily, he doesn't ruin the episode for me because he's not a jerk like some other famous one-timers such as Craig Mammalton. They both by chance share a horrid name.

So Tony Jr. makes his way around school, with the other classmates absolutely gushing over him - boys AND girls. Mrs. Puff breaks in and announces that during his stay at the Boating School, he will receive absolutely zero special attention. She asks that Tony reports to the school obstacle course so she can examine his skills. She does break the special attention thing when she asks Tony to sign her lunchbox, so basically that rule went down the drain. A crowd cheers for him as Tony says reaally bad catchphrases and I mean bad as he drives through the obstacles. He's quite good, and for some reason Mrs. Puff gets an idea - Tony Jr. rubbing off his good on SpongeBob (a bit inappropiate for a kid's cartoon, isn't it) What she means is Tony Jr. mentoring SpongeBob. So she puts the two in the boat together and has Tony mentor him - at first it goes terribly, but then he just tells SpongeBob two words "be cool". Turns out, this works wonderfully, and SpongeBob actually begins to drive like a prodigy. After the fish and Mrs. Puff get surprisingly impressed, Tony Jr. tells SB that he can't teach him any more at this "square school" but he does invite him over in a very loose way for lessons at his house - which SpongeBob takes up.

At Tony Jr's house, his dad and mom are out - so they have a look at his dad's speedboat collection. Tony asks SpongeBob to pick his favorite - he picks the Daytona Classic. Tony wants to take it for a spin, but SpongeBob's a bit worried considering they don't even have licenses, but Tony Jr. just rips out SpongeBob's line about licenses and sandwiches from the first movie and replaces some lines. Cut to SpongeBob driving the boat - wait, what? SpongeBob didn't really oppose to this any more.. OK. Also, so far, we really haven't had any major jokes I've laughed, chuckled, or smiled at. They're all just kind of eh. So SpongeBob drives the Daytona Classic.. The thing handles like a dream, of course, and they seem to have an OK time riding it until we come across an unfunny troupe of car racers who stars an annoying female racer who continually goes "WHAT HE SAAAAAAAAAID!" That joke doesn't get old REAL QUICK. SB share an exchange between him and the car racers which is actually kind of chuckle-worthy on SpongeBob's end, and they ultimately get into a race. No verdict here - the whole scene turns into chaos and Tony Fast himself gets notified of the whole thing. Police are chasing TFK & SB and it's just wild crazy hi-jinks dawg including Tony Fast himself chasing the gang until they crash into the Boating School. Tony Fast Jr. leaves class forever and Mrs. Puff is heavily injured. The end.

That's The Hot Shot, and.. it's.. OK. The plot was sort of interesting, I suppose, and the characters are mostly done well, but... oh let's just get to the pros and cons.

+ Plot was actually interesting

+ No Krusty Krab, thank Poseidon Neptune

- Tony Fast and his son were boring shells of a character

- Generally an unfunny, forgettable episode

Next time, we review an.. indoor mini golf game?

• Like 1

Getting a bit late - but A Friendly Game will be coming soon, probably some time tomorrow. I've already also reviewed Sentimental Sponge, so as a bonus I'll paste that in too.