• Advertisement

The Twisted Aftermath of.... Who Exactly?

Sweat

This is a novel I'm working on, and I think it'd be interesting to share it with you guys chapter-by-chapter. This is the intro.

I felt like I was a new man, and my brain had, too. I lost all of my memory, so I had no idea what was happening or who I even was.

All I saw when I woke up from what looked like a hospital bed was a sandy-looking and looking at me from what felt like my death bed were 2 guys in old school hazmat suits. Because I was expecting the worst, I pretended to stay asleep.

One was a very short man, and one was unnaturally tall. The shorter one said “He’s ready for testing.” The taller one says “General, may I start the process?” By the time he said that, I was scared out of my mind. Then, a man who is even taller than the tall hazmat worker came in front of my half-open eyes.  He had a neutral-grey lawyer suit. He was bald except for a set of sideburns which were very bright purplish-white.

He said “Yes, but I must observe so you do not mess everything up.”

And there was what I thought would end my life. I was confronted with a handheld machine as big as a printer. It had a small hose that was attached to a syringe. It seemed there was nothing in there. It took me a while to realize there was most likely evaporated liquid in there, considering the fact that it was leaking a bit. In fact, some of it dropped on my left arm.

It obviously wasn’t water. It burned so much that I was very close to screaming. At least I knew it was my best not to scream. Screaming meant dead.

Then, the general said “Begin.”

The shorter man jabbed the syringe into my thigh. It hurt so much, that I just sat up, yanked it out, punched the general unconscious, and ran away. The tall one almost got me, but I was able to pull off his mask and knock him, too. I ran out of a door. That was when I realized I was naked.

Chapter One: What do I do now?

Seriously, I had no idea what to do. I was naked, plus I was in the start/end of a long, very cold cave tunnel. The only light was some old flickering light bulbs on the walls, and everything seemed eerie. I had no idea what to do. The short hazmat guy in the room was in the corner while both the "general" and the tall hazmat guy were still unconscious. There were some extra hazmat suits on the walls so I put one on without the mask and bolted.

It was 5 straight minutes of running, running, and also.... running. I finally saw another door. I opened it, and it was a relatively short metal walkway and 10 feet of cave below. The walkway was very rickety, so it took a while to walk the whole thing. It was the final door. I opened it, and I was at the top of a tall building connected to a mountain. The building looked very old and half of it was completely obliterated.

Brave me ran down the 'good' end, but suddenly, 2 people in suits ran out of opposite doors. The both grabbed me on each shoulder. "Do you have any idea what risks you'll take if you go out there?" "What?" I asked. The other one just said "The city is immortal." I was confused, so I just walked out. There was a crapload of scrap-metal in the front yard or the building, but beyond it was what looked like normal suburban life.

I yell "What the hell is going on?"

"You don't want to know."

"YES I DO!"

Then I sighed and walked over the junkyard and into the town. I could see the two suited men in the junkyard praying. I was concerned both for them and me, but personally, I didn't want to know anything at this moment. When i walked down the sidewalks, I saw that every house looked different, but they were all in excellent condition. I was wondering who wouldn't have any of those houses. By the time I got to seeing houses with multiple lightning rods on the roof, I came to what I thought was the center of the town. It was a large white circle with a red house in the middle. When I arrived at this area, there were some people just relaxing. As soon as I said "Huh," they all ran into different corners of the neighborhood.

Then I saw the building. It was only 1 and a half stories (it's roof had been ripped off.) It was a very wide and extremely long. It was probably 100 feet by 100 feet in area. On the sign next to the entrance, it reads "Welcome to the Immortal City," and in smaller print "formerly the Stansen Estate." I don't understand why there's a welcome sign in the middle of the town, but I then realized this place was near the BEGINNING of the area.

I still didn't get this "Immortal City" stuff, so I went into the building.

Every room inside was huge in area, but they were all empty except for the atrium in the middle of the building where tons of people were looking out in the open. I peeked in and half of the people ran out and congratulated me.

I asked what happened and they said "They didn't catch you!"

"Who?"

"The general!"

"Uhhh.... they did."

At this moment, everybody started screaming and running away from me.

Chapter 2: So I guess I have to rethink my life.....

I was scared myself, so I ran out of the building. I ran faster than ever. Suddenly, there were 2 old muscle cars coming after me, and I was freaked out. They suddenly stopped aside of me and it turns out it was the 2 guys with suits. I had no idea what was going on, so I finally begged them to explain to me everything. One guy spent a lot of time talking.

"So they renamed this anonymous area the Immortal City after Frann Heskovv from Iceland nuked the city and became the dictator. Nobody yet knows how the city survived except for one building near that small mountain which was split in half. The one we work in. Before the nuking, you were the ambassador of the area. The old building was your center of planning. Sadly, you were on the half of the building that fell apart when the nuke dropped on the city."

"He and I were told to look for bodies on the obliterated side, and we found you. The General told us to bring it into the unknown tunnel behind the building for testing. That's when the General found out you were the Ambassador. You were actually extremely close to dead. We were told to inject a small amount of electricity into your heart so you could stay alive during testing."

I asked what the stinging liquid was and one guy explained everything.

"You see, that half-evaporated liquid is a cyanide-based elixir the General's Hazmat men created so when it is injected into you, you would be brainwashed to the extreme point where the General can control everything you do using satellite signals."

"Well why was everyone scared of me?"

"Since you were caught by the General, they assumed you were already brainwashed and that you were already ready to be controlled into killing everyone."

"So now what do I do?"

"Were you injected yet?"

"A very tiny bit."

"Well.... you will have to maintain a new identity on the other side of the area. Otherwise, anything you do will be assumed as bad."

"You guys better help me."

"We will. If you're alone, you can get killed."