• Advertisement

291a. Swimming Fools

Jjs Goodman

I am SHOCKED that this episode actually got AWAY with referencing the ending of the 1950's movie, "Sunset Boulevard"! By this point, I think it would be a lot BETTER if Mr. Lawrence and the other writers of this series, started looking for someone OTHER than Squidward to be put into situations that involve him getting into pain and other humiliating experiences! While this episode at LEAST gives a justifiable excuse for the situation Squidward is in (Spongebob builds a pool, Squidward is secretly jealous of it, but doesn't WANT to admit that Spongebob's pool looks good), this sort of plot has already BEEN done before in "The Paper" and "The Idiot Box"! Not only that, but they drag out Squidward trying to deny wanting to go into Spongebob's pool for too long, before he finally does it! When Squidward finally DOES get into Spongebob's pool, what happens is that Squidward falls asleep and has a dream, featuring SOME of the octopi who haven't been seen since "Squidville". Unfortunately, Squidward falls asleep for SO long, he doesn't wake up until morning! Not wanting to be caught by Spongebob, Squidward runs inside the toy shed, which is unfortunately the FIRST place Spongebob and Patrick go to. Squidward tries to pull a variation of the "Nobody Here But Us Statues" writing technique, which backfires when Patrick decides that Squidward would be a PERFECT floating toy to play with! Needless to say, Squidward has to SUFFER Patrick blowing into his MOUTH, and being played with in the ROUGHEST of matters possible! Finally, Squidward has HAD enough and SCREAMS to let the air out, and FINALLY admits to Spongebob that Squidward was jealous of his pool. I'd feel a lot more SYMPATHY for Squidward, but he "Could've Avoided This Plot" if he had just been HONEST with Spongebob from the beginning! You would think that after being allowed to use Spongebob's pool anytime he wanted, Squidward would get to enjoy himself. But no; Patrick accidentally cranks the diving board SO high, Squidward is actually OUTSIDE of Earth's atmosphere! And when Patrick tries to crank the diving board back down, the crank BREAKS: causing an overly long scream as Squidward falls down, gets burned by re-entering Earth's atmosphere, falls smack down into Spongebob's pool, resulting in him floating like the ending scene from "Sunset Boulevard". And than, Squidward's body breaks into pieces, due to hitting the water so hard. I'd give this episode a 6.5 out of 10 at BEST! Enough said, true believers!