• Advertisement

Ratchet & Clank Series Thread

Uncharted 4 is releasing two weeks after the PS4 game and Dark Souls 3 the same day. You might be thinking this won't be a big deal since R&C has a radically different audience from both games, but the gaming media will almost certainly be focusing more attention on those games, meaning the game won't get much exposure outside of the marketing for the movie.

Luckily in terms of the movie, Angry Birds got moved back 3 weeks after this, but if the marketing for the movie is awful, I don't think the game is going to do too well, assuming it doesn't have decent legs into the holiday season.

I'm kinda worried.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/08/ces-2016-3-awesome-ps2-games-that-deserve-the-ratchet-and-clank-treatment

It's not a fucking remaster, IGN. Really bothered that so many people think that it is. It's been stated since the announcement back in 2014 that it's a from the ground up re imagining with elements of the PS3 games/movie thrown in. Really hate how a lot of the press neglects to do the proper research when discussing R&C...

Edited by Teamwork

Movie comes out in a little over 3 months. I really hope the movie has a decent marketing campaign or I think the franchise is toast to be perfectly honest. The game is launching at an awkward time and the movie thankfully has a few weeks to itself without any major competition. Focus/Sony better not screw this up or I don't think we'll be seeing anything R&C related for a long time.

5 hours ago, Teamwork said:

Movie comes out in a little over 3 months. I really hope the movie has a decent marketing campaign or I think the franchise is toast to be perfectly honest. The game is launching at an awkward time and the movie thankfully has a few weeks to itself without any major competition. Focus/Sony better not screw this up or I don't think we'll be seeing anything R&C related for a long time.

Even if this has the best marketing in the world this movie will only ever appeal to existing Ratchet and Clank fans. No one else is going to bother to see it. The games have a decent following so I'm sure they're going to keep coming at a somewhat steady pace if they decide to continue them, but the movie won't be a smash hit because they're not trying to appeal to anyone but fans.

45 minutes ago, terminoob said:

Even if this has the best marketing in the world this movie will only ever appeal to existing Ratchet and Clank fans. No one else is going to bother to see it. The games have a decent following so I'm sure they're going to keep coming at a somewhat steady pace if they decide to continue them, but the movie won't be a smash hit because they're not trying to appeal to anyone but fans.

Eh, I'm sure a good amount of families would watch it anyway and then buy the game if it's advertised before the movie in theaters. And the series' sales have kind of plateaued since CiT and I'm not sure Sony would be open to supporting Ratchet if the game and movie fail. I mean they're releasing Uncharted two weeks afterwards. I think most of this was the fault of the trailer which according to my friend (who saw a pre release screening a year ago) didn't exactly make the movie come across well. I mean, Nefarious' squishy form was one of the movie's biggest spoilers and they just had him in for a cheap joke. And this reminds me, he had a pretty interesting story about said pre release screening. I think he signed an NDA so I'll have to tell you via PM if you want.

Edited by Teamwork