• Advertisement

Ratchet & Clank Series Thread

The visuals of that trailer look SO awesome!!!! B) I might just have to WATCH the movie based on the graphics alone! :D I'll have to watch it again later so that I can hear the trailer, because I can't listen to it right now. I'm at the library, so that's the reason why. But still, April's not too long to wait in the scheme of things!

• Like 1

Holy shit this looks gorgeous

The animators used Renderman, which is commonly used by Pixar to render their movies. That's why.

Although honestly I think the animation itself could use a bit of polish but the movie's being made on a paltry $14 million budget so I can't complain too much.

Anyways, as for my thoughts on the trailer. It was funny and charming although I still think the plot seems a little cliched and I wish they didn't spoil Nefarious' squishy form. 8/10

Edited by Teamwork

The animators used Renderman, which is commonly used by Pixar to render their movies. That's why.

Although honestly I think the animation itself could use a bit of polish but the movie's being made on a paltry $14 million budget so I can't complain too much.

Anyways, as for my thoughts on the trailer. It was funny and charming although I still think the plot seems a little cliched and I wish they didn't spoil Nefarious' squishy form. 8/10

Well it's cliche for the reasons you already said. They're fixing stuff to make it more in-line with the later games, which makes it extremely cookie-cutter and it's why I don't like Ratchet wanting to be a hero. They could go with the same exact plot but make Ratchet a jerk and it'd instantly be more interesting than what they're doing.

Also not sure how I feel about Lawrence-less Nefarious, or Nefarious being involved in general. I get that he's the big bad of the series and everything, but him being there right from the beginning makes everything feel... I don't know. Weird, I guess. I liked that he was a separate thing and was just kinda chilling and plotting everyone's demise while Drek and Fizzwidget/Qwark did their things. It effectively renders all the vid-comics in the third game inaccurate and even though they were somewhat flimsy to begin with I still figured the timeline of events was mostly true because that made sense. And like, what happens if they make a sequel? What are they gonna end up adapting? Are they gonna mash the second and third games together? Are they gonna skip the second game entirely and just go straight to doing the third game and just not have Angela or Fizzwidget and the Protopet or the Bogon Galaxy?

• Like 1

Well, maybe if the movie does well they will do more interesting things in the sequel/future games.

I think they involved Nefarious because he's a fan favorite and I guess they need someone to be Drek's lead scientist. 

And I think that the movie/Ps4 game serve as a reboot to the series so unfortunately a lot of things in the game are going to be effectively inaccurate. I think they replaced Talwyn with Cora for example.

If they end up making a sequel, my bet is they'll combine elements of the Future trilogy/GC and UYA. Going Commando was IMO the funniest in the series, but I don't really think it mattered much to the main plot apart from Thugs 4 Less and Ratchet building up his reputation. And UYA has too many innuendos to be considered kid friendly..

Edited by Teamwork

Well, maybe if the movie does well they will do more interesting things in the sequel/future games.

I think they involved Nefarious because he's a fan favorite and I guess they need someone to be Drek's lead scientist. 

And I think that the movie/Ps4 game serve as a reboot to the series so unfortunately a lot of things in the game are going to be effectively inaccurate. I think they replaced Talwyn with Cora for example.

If they end up making a sequel, my bet is they'll combine elements of the Future trilogy/GC and UYA. Going Commando was IMO the funniest in the series, but I don't really think it mattered much to the main plot apart from Thugs 4 Less and Ratchet building up his reputation. And UYA has too many innuendos to be considered kid friendly..

I dunno. They didn't necessarily need someone to be Drek's lead scientist. Whoever he had in the game didn't matter too much so he didn't really need to be working with anyone in particular, and him working with Nefarious just makes the universe seem so much smaller. Like there's no other threat aside from this one guy that everyone is connected to.

And replacing Talwyn with Cora is weird if they're rebooting it based off of the Future series, because that's where Talwyn was introduced. They could've just gone with Talwyn.

I dunno. They didn't necessarily need someone to be Drek's lead scientist. Whoever he had in the game didn't matter too much so he didn't really need to be working with anyone in particular, and him working with Nefarious just makes the universe seem so much smaller. Like there's no other threat aside from this one guy that everyone is connected to.

And replacing Talwyn with Cora is weird if they're rebooting it based off of the Future series, because that's where Talwyn was introduced. They could've just gone with Talwyn.

I don't know. I guess they just want to appeal more to kids with Bella Thorne voicing Cora and all.

I'm honestly more excited for the game over the movie honestly, but I will still see it anyway and hope for the best.

I like how in the trailer, they make fun of/parody/pay homage to the late guy (I think his first name was Don) who used to do all of those movie trailer announcements; the guy who would always start the commercials by saying, "In a world...", so that was a bit of funny humor! Enough said!

• Like 1

This is the worst "review" I've seen of the movie thus far. This woman has absolutely no knowledge of Ratchet and Clank whatsoever.

Well yeah, she says in the video that she doesn't know anything about the franchise and she's just going off of the trailer - she's reacting like a person who hasn't played the games. I agree with her that there's almost no cross appeal and I don't think anyone that isn't already a fan of the series will go see this movie, and if people do see this movie that aren't fans of the series then they probably aren't gonna like it at all. I thought her saying everything was derivative was a stretch because Kevin Conroy doing a voiceover doesn't mean anything and the Galactic Rangers aren't Green Lantern knock-offs and the Ant-Man connection doesn't make any sense at all, but she's also saying all that as an outsider looking in and the trailer didn't do anything to help get those people excited for the movie.

Even though people are super excited for this movie, they aren't marketing it very well at all because all the people that are excited for it are already fans of the series. They're not showing people who haven't played the games why they should give a crap and I think it's a poor move to try to rely so heavily on a pre-established fanbase because I doubt there's enough Ratchet and Clank fans out there to keep this movie from being a box office bomb. This was a fine trailer for fans of the games, but if you don't know anything about the games you're gonna probably react like this reviewer did.

• Like 1

Well yeah, she says in the video that she doesn't know anything about the franchise and she's just going off of the trailer - she's reacting like a person who hasn't played the games. I agree with her that there's almost no cross appeal and I don't think anyone that isn't already a fan of the series will go see this movie, and if people do see this movie that aren't fans of the series then they probably aren't gonna like it at all. I thought her saying everything was derivative was a stretch because Kevin Conroy doing a voiceover doesn't mean anything and the Galactic Rangers aren't Green Lantern knock-offs and the Ant-Man connection doesn't make any sense at all, but she's also saying all that as an outsider looking in and the trailer didn't do anything to help get those people excited for the movie.

Even though people are super excited for this movie, they aren't marketing it very well at all because all the people that are excited for it are already fans of the series. They're not showing people who haven't played the games why they should give a crap and I think it's a poor move to try to rely so heavily on a pre-established fanbase because I doubt there's enough Ratchet and Clank fans out there to keep this movie from being a box office bomb. This was a fine trailer for fans of the games, but if you don't know anything about the games you're gonna probably react like this reviewer did.

Which makes me concerned. At the very least the movie will be alright and entertaining despite the by-the-numbers plot. However, R&C is more of a niche franchise especially in recent years and a lot of critics/moviegoers might watch it and not understand the appeal of it (without playing the games) and thus give it a bad rap. See Amid's Cartoon Brew article for instance. Sure, he was kinda being a dick, but I imagine a form of that will be what most people perceive it.

I don't think it will bomb though. The movie has a relatively low budget and I think they'll make back a fair amount of profit via the PS4 game/Blu-ray and PSN sales of the movie.

As someone who played the first couple of Ratchet and Clank games, I'm slightly intrigued enough to check this out when it comes to streaming and/or Redbox.  The animation is pretty damn impressive for an animation studio who really doesn't have a mainstream studio like Pixar, DreamWorks, Blu Sky, Illumination, Aardman (lol I can't see them doing this adaptation though), etc.

As someone who's memories for most of the characters outside of Ratchet and Clank, this trailer did absolutely nothing to help refresh who the hell some of these people are.  That lady in the YT video above is right.  If that trailer can't help re-establish a former fan of the franchise  towards this universe, then what about the mainstream audiences in terms of trying to obtain crossover appeal?  Because everything about that trailer felt like fan service.

• Like 1

As someone who played the first couple of Ratchet and Clank games, I'm slightly intrigued enough to check this out when it comes to streaming and/or Redbox.  The animation is pretty damn impressive for an animation studio who really doesn't have a mainstream studio like Pixar, DreamWorks, Blu Sky, Illumination, Aardman (lol I can't see them doing this adaptation though), etc.

As someone who's memories for most of the characters outside of Ratchet and Clank, this trailer did absolutely nothing to help refresh who the hell some of these people are.  That lady in the YT video above is right.  If that trailer can't help re-establish a former fan of the franchise  towards this universe, then what about the mainstream audiences in terms of trying to obtain crossover appeal?  Because everything about that trailer felt like fan service.

Let me refresh you then.

The guy in the green leotard is Captain Qwark. He's a dim witted washed up celebrity with an ego and a lust for fame.

The crazy guy who uses the Sheepinator is Dr. Nefarious (before he became a cyborg). He's an egomaniacal genius with a few screws loose and a vendetta against Captain Qwark.

Edited by Teamwork

As someone who hasn't played the games, this trailer looks...okay?

I mean, it doesn't seem bad, but not like something I'd clamor to go see either. 

The movie is mostly being made for fans, or at least that's what the marketing is what's been leading me to believe. If you don't like the games/haven't played them, I'm not sure if I'd recommend you watch it. It's kind of a weird thing to explain but you experience most of the charm of the universe by playing/getting invested with the games. It does look decent enough to rent it if you're not a fan though. And it's being marketed/sold alongside a PS4 game even so they're expecting you to either be a fan of the games/run out and go buy the PS4 game after seeing the movie.

Edited by Teamwork

I was talking to my friend about the new art style and we both don't like Drek with pupils. He looked a lot better with just big green eyes.

I remember when a guy on the Ig forums found a leaked picture of him with pupils a year ago.... we flipped out.

But I think it was to make him more emotive.