• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2016 Edition!

I'm kind of surprised "Dunces and Dragons" made this list, but only because I honestly didn't think it would make it on this list! Of course, "Big Pink Loser" is a great episode and definitely deserves to be on this list! Enough said! :D

For anyone not already aware, this list will be on hiatus for the next week while I'm away at sleepaway camp and obviously have limited electronic usage (for the better I guess). For now I'll just release the last eppy I have commentary for.

#32. "You like Krabby Patties, don't you, Squidward?"

186.png

"Just One Bite"

(w/ 73 points on 7 lists) Highest Ranking: #8 @Spongetron Robotpants

"SpongeBob tries to get Squidward to try a Krabby Patty"

More: You'll get my commentary later. :P Just gotta get this out. You're up Milkmaidman...

Milkmaidman: This is a classic episode. It is a great example of SpongeBob using simplicity to it's advantage. It's no secret that Squidward detests his job at the Krusty Krab, so is naturally refusing at ever eating a Krabby Patty. The episode focuses on the big moment of him tasting the burgers, and secretly gets addicted to them. It's a twist you see coming, but don't at the same time. And yet, both of the main characters seem normal throughout. You can kinda sympathize with Squidward, so it all works. The animation is more notable than anything. Many a internet meme were created with episode, using the close up faces, and it adds a new layer of comedy to this episode.

• Like 1

I Had an Accident is very random but that's what makes it so funny to me. I laughed at everything in this episode. Even that dumbass ending.

Fear of a Krabby Patty is definitely a fresh start to a season that thankfully grew on people after years.

Krabs a La Mode is one of my favorite episodes of all-time, I'm so pleased it made the list. Such an intellegent concept, really funny jokes and a fast paced plot. <333333333333333333333

F.U.N. isn't on my list but I can see why it's on this list. It's definitely a charming and cute episodes and a great start to SpongeBob/Plankton dynamic.

The Paper isn't an episode I'm deeply crazy about but it's an episode that took a simple concept and made it fun.

I think More made enough points why The Great Snail Race is amazing and it doesn't deserve the hatrid It has gotten. The plot is well-done and jokes are very memorable.

Dunces and Dragons isn't one of my favorites but it's definitely fun and charming episode to be on the list.

Big Pink Loser is fefinitely a classic and hilarious from start to finish.

I can't believe Just One Bite has so many memorable quotes and faces. One of my all-time favorites.

HEADS UP HERE!

You may wonder why I'm randomly posting here during the break, and I have an announcement.

Due to More having this weird thing called a life sounds interesting I might need one of those I'm temporarily taking over the list. I'm looking to resume this tomorrow, so thanks for putting up with the delays so far, really hope to get this back on a regular schedule I promise.

• Like 8

Sorry for the delay but I was feeling a bit sick yesterday so I happened to fall asleep a few hours earlier than normal. :P

To make up for my incompetence and to get us back on even numbers since after number 2 literally everyone will know 1 and there's no purpose in hidden tension here's 3 in one!

#31. "Felicitations, malefactors!"

375.png

"Plankton's Army"

(w/ 75 points, on 5 lists, highest #1 @Dr. WhoBob)

"Plankton enlists the help of his family to steal the formula."

Trophy: Ah, this classic. From every point it had a gag worthy of a laugh, such as Plankton's family being hillbillies instead of criminal masterminds, Plankton always being squashed on, the ending with Squidward's guess, and somehow just laughing about the name Sheldon itself was funny. It did pretty much everything right here, and it deserves a placement somewhere on here. It is a shame Clem never learned to read...

WhoBob:  I'm not surprised that this was below the list, it's one of the most forgotten SpongeBob episodes but I'm so glad this masterpiece made it to the list. This is my favorite SpongeBob episode of all-time. Sure, It may not be the smartest or the most emotional episode, SpongeBob has ever done but this episode has a lot memorable gags inculding amazing facial expressions by Plankton and Karen's making fun of Plankton's first name. This is the "Plankton trying to steal the formula" episode at it's finest because it's really creative and funny to see Plankton teaming up with his relatives to steal the formula. I'm so surprised that SpongeBob was barely in this episode but I'm glad he barely appeared in this episode. Not because I hate SpongeBob, I love this yellow dude but it's really great to see Plankton having his solo episode. Not the mention this episode shows us that we don't always need SpongeBob as a main character for a good laugh. Whenever I think of this episode, I always smile because this episode is that good.

#30. "I've done it. I've discovered the perfect patty batter!"

411.png

"Friend or Foe"

(w/ 77 points on 5 lists, highest #5 @jjsthekid)

"Mr. Krabs tells the story behind his and Plankton's rivalry."

Trophy: Ah this one, here we go. This story was pretty great up until the ending to be honest, it feels like they had no way to get out of it for the sake of the status quo because they couldn't change the show. Well the story in itself was well thought out with the characters, and the development made sense enough. The ending didn't bother me that much, but what did...you already know it. Patchy.

Honest Slug:  Friend or Foe is arguably the best story ever told in SpongeBob. It just does about everything right. Mr. Krabs' and Plankton's origins as enemies are extremely interesting and the conflict is set-up in such a way to where you can see where they're coming from. The episode is very well-paced with little-to-no filler and has some great emotion. It even has some of the last good Patchy segments. I know some people hate these segments but at least compared to the ones later on it at least tries to tell jokes, isn't laboriously long, and has effort put into it. I think they did a good job mixing things up a bit without completely giving up doing whatever they want, a la Atlantis SquarePantis. Episodes like this are why I put seasons 4 and 5 in a "Silver age" where even though the era wasn't perfect at many moments it could capture the heart, characters, and spirit of the original run.\

#29. "I'm so cold that...I'm shivering!"

227.png

"Survival of the Idiots"

(w/ 79 points on 6 lists, highest #8 @Brady Corduroy)

"SpongeBob and Patrick get trapped inside Sandy's Treedome."

Trophy: This one was...alright. It did have its' moments and all yeah, but I personally just can't call this a top 25 episode mainly due to the competition it has. The story was good and so were the jokes and the ending was well deserved to both of them, I just can't find myself to put this above others for no specific reason. :/ Well here's someone to convince me otherwise!

SpongeyKid: 

To start off, this definitely has to be one of my favorite episodes. While I haven't made a top list of my favorite episodes, I'm still sure this one would be up there. There's just so many awesome jokes and factors that make this episode really good. Of course there's the obvious "who you callin' pinhead" joke, which is always funny, but there's also lots of others like patback, open sesame, SpongeBob and Patrick using Sandy's fur etc. 

Around every corner there's a joke to laugh at. I also really like the snowy/wintery atmosphere of the episode. Just having SpongeBob and Patrick fooling around makes for a great episode a lot of the time and this is a great example of that. So many classic moments and this episode offers the characters at their best. So yeah, definitely a really awesome episode, never gets old. I would also like to point out a face that to me, personally, is even funnier than the pinhead one!

FPTeYSq.jpg

• Like 8

10:00 PM update because Carson Wentz woo!

#28. "Maybe I should stop making people smell me."

325.png

"Roller Cowards"

(w/ 79 points on 6 lists, highest #2 @Honest Slug)

"SpongeBob and Patrick are afraid to ride a new roller coaster at Glove World."

Trophy: If you told me before this list was completed that this would be this high, I'd laugh. After thinking about it, even though I don't find it anywhere near my top 25, I'm perfectly fine with this. It goes after the fear of roller coasters to the target audience, and the way of making it look like a safe death machine with explosions and injuries was the perfect way to take a comedic approach about it, up until the paranoia took up mirror reflections and ice cream cones, and being afraid of The Mitten. xD Gags like Larry's adrenaline and Old Man Jenkins wanting to go on the ride also made this episode. While I say I don't have the personal connection that I assume got this in others spots, I can most certainly say it's representation was well deserved on this list.]

Honest Slug: Roller Cowards is one of my favorite episodes for its excellent story, characterizations, and humor. SpongeBob and Patrick are very likable as they both try to go on the roller coaster thinking the other wants to go, while hiding the fact that they don't, they seem like good friends and it really helps the plot out. The story is nicely built up too, as the episode goes on the tension gets higher and the jokes get funnier, that is part of the reason why this episode is such comedic gold. This episode is hilarious from the Fiery Fist O' Pain itself, SpongeBob talking to ice cream, Larry saying "Maybe I should stop having people smell me", SpongeBob and Patrick being afraid of the kid ride, and so much more. Often in seasons 4-8 SpongeBob and Patrick's childish behavior made them grating and annoying, this episode executes it in such a way to where they are very likable and you can feel empathy for them. Some of the best episodes are the relatable ones such as Procrastination and The Secret Box. This is one of those and one of my favorites in general.

#27. "Even Mrs. Puff's hair curlers?"

448.png

"Life of Crime"

(w/ 79 points on 8 lists, highest #3 @Cha)

"SpongeBob and Patrick accidentally steal a balloon."

Trophy: Oh this goody. This snuck in mine at 22. This episode knew what it was doing with a good plot, and humor all around that it just has to be a classic. The fact that they just up and leave everything over a balloon of all things, just for it to be on Free Balloon Day. The fight between SB & Pat was hilarious as how they pretty much backstabbed each other simultaneously before breaking down and just being all out zany due to fear works so well. Glad to see this on here, even if it's a few spots lower than where I find it myself. Also I do like those buns and thighs

Hayden: Now here's a semi-classic. Right down to the coy fire underwater jokes, the reference to Kruff with Mr. Krabs "borrowing" her hair dryer, Patrick thinking he'll eat it now, and the cops making them do about 5 seconds of jail time. It may feel simplistic, but it's a nice change of pace for the Krabs lesson to be wrong, and for SpongeBob/Patrick to get themselves into trouble by way of their own exaggeration. Happy free balloon day good samaritans.

• Like 8

Ayo ayo ayo ayo

#26. "Yeah, it's fancy talk."

188.png

"Sailor Mouth"

SpongeBob and Patrick learn bad words from a dumpster.

(w/ 80 points on 7 lists, highest #4 @Honest Slug)

Trophy: Ah the good ol' pottymouth episode. The way it went about them not knowing anything was hilarious how they just bring it into a restaurant, and they can't control themselves in daily lives and just always blurt it out even over board games, as ways of "enhancing their sentences". There were also good jokes such as Old Man Jenkins' Jalopy, Mr. Krabs and his mother, and it's a laugh all the way through that I had this at 18th.

Katniss:  I love this episode. The show took the concept of swearing and handled it in a great way. It has a good moral for kids about using foul language, but even better than that, it’s just plain funny. From the Bikini Bottomites’ reactions to SpongeBob and Pat cursing, to Eels and Escalators, to Mr. Krabs swearing like a sailor after stubbing his toe, the jokes land perfectly. It’s :dolphinnoise:ing great.

#25. "Hey, I think I found our pants. Oops, these are yours."

220.png

Pranks a Lot

(w/ 81 points on 5 lists, highest #2 @4EverGreen)

Trophy: Oh haha guys. This is the one you've been waiting for ever since I was forced into this I auto called this commentary anyways. You all want to know what I really think after I've annoyed you all seemingly by random, well, I have my reasons which I'm going to force down your throat! I have a...bias against these types of episodes which always gets me SUPER nitpicky about them, way more than I would with any episode. The part is..."pranks".  I understand why others wouldn;t but even without the bias I have against pranks, levelheaded as possible, I find this the worst episode, so seeing this above SO MANY OTHERS! My thing against pranks is that you can basically outright go far enough to act like a jerk, and just brush it off because it was a prank. This stuff always bothered me as a kid...so no matter what I was disliking this from the very start.  Alright, got that out of the way. Alright, I have a few major nitpicks here, and the main thing is SpongeBob and Patrick scare others away as a prank...yeah because that's just a fine excuse to get people fleeing in horror. Like, I know they can be naive and all, blatantly stupid. I looked into this and SpongeBob has no problem with this whatsoever....IS THERE NOT A PROBLEM WITH THIS? IS THIS ALL OK BECAUSE IT'S A JOKE? Like...WHAT? I can see Patrick not noting this but SpongeBob can't be this den...oh right APFG. Still....am I the only one who has a problem with SpongeBob being fine with scaring people away, even his dearest friends? The entire town was deserted...this also goes into another point. Nitpick no 2: Invisibility Spray and ghosts. Alright, so there's this amazing technology which can be used to turn people invisible in local prank stores of all things...and nobody knows about this. The ghosts were always visible in every other appearance so that theory is out like the episode LOVES to imply has to be out, so wouldn't anyone else know this by going to the store? Nope, moving on! Nitpick 3: The ending, Krabs just gets everyone there to laugh at them as payback, and while most say it was deserved, it just feels forced more than anything and it's really awkward to watch. Like I know it's a cartoon and all so I shouldn't be looking into it that much, but I always do for the worst ones. Sorry if this just seems like incoherent ramblings, I can go more into it but I don't want this to take up the entire spot. TL:DR, I've always hated prank episodes so I got really nitpicky about this and hate it for literally the same reasons you probably love it, I feel like you deserved at least a half-effort given explanation. Now here's an actual positive note on this.

4EverGreen:  This is a pretty absurd concept for an episode, but it's done very well. It starts with a ridiculous premise, and just keeps running with it for all its worth! The Invisible Spray makes everyone in Bikini Bottom believe that Spongebob and Patrick are ghosts, and they intend to use this to their advantage. They decide to scare everyone, for the humor of it! They think they will become the ultimate pranksters, but it's Mr. Krabs who gets the last laugh in the end, by exposing them to the whole community! Maybe next time, Spongebob WILL just stick with the whoopee cushion! 

• Like 1