• Advertisement

Itchy and Scratchy Reviews

MMM

This idea of reviewing every Itchy and Scratchy episode shown on the show came from a combination of both a video that marathoned just about all of the Itchy and Scratchy cartoons from The Simpsons, and me wanting to give myself something incredibly ludicrous and challenging to review. Most Itchy and Scratchy episodes are around 15 seconds long, and a lot of them are pretty much Itchy (the mouse) comically torturing Scratchy (the cat), paying homage to Tom and Jerry. This and the Treehouse of Horror episodes are probably the only things The Simpsons has continuously used at still has ever since the beginning of the show. Treehouse goes back to early Season 2, but this can go back to those crude Tracey Ullman shorts. So, I guess this means i'm doing two of the most iconic Simpsons...well, Treehouse is a lot more of a tradition. Anyways, enough jibber jabber. let's get on with the show. Trust me, this will be a show cause i'll deeply embarrass myself.

Untitled #1 (The Bart Simpson Show, Season 3, Episode 3, MG38, 11/20/88)

This is back where it all started. This episode features a normal chase between the two, and Itchy pulls out a picture of a woman. It distracts Scratchy, but that's a bad thing...cause, you know. Itchy then blows Scratchy up, yayyyyy. Apparently Homer thinks this too violent for people Bart and Lisa's age to watch (he was a lot different back then. A lot different.). I think that it's pretty normal as far as Itchy and Scratchy cartoons go, but sometimes that's good for firsts. Itchy and Scratchy is clearly based off Tom and Jerry, but I think these earlier shorts emulate Tom and Jerry the most. But, which would you prefer? The Bart Simpson Show or this?

Untitled #2 (Simpson Xmas, Season 3, Episode 5, MG40, 12/18/88)

This is likely one of the most uneventful Itchy and Scratchy episodes ever. It may even be the most uneventful. Simpsons Xmas is really The Simpsons version of Night Before Christmas. The cartoon is shown at the very end, and it's Itchy and Scratchy waving to viewers at home in a Christmas like background. The cartoon has good....uh...animation, I guess. Very....fluid...waving. Okay, it's just on in the background. For something about the Simpsons short, Lisa gets some dolls of Life in Hell characters, a cool comic Matt Groening used to make. Alright, I promise the next one will be better. You try doing this sometime.

Untitled #3 (TV Simpsons, Season 3, Episode 19, MG48, 5/14/89)

This is the final Simpsons short that aired before The Simpsons became an actual show. Trivia aside, the full version has never been seen, cause freaking Homer Simpson was like "imma be meanie and not let kids watch ichi and scraji". His young Bartholomew says it was educational, something I will take note of actually not really. But, here's what we did see. Another Tom and Jerry-esque chase is our beginning. Scratchy accidentally axes himself, and some stuff happens that we don't see, and it ends with Scratchy falling off a cliff. Tom and Jerry is kind of known for having good timing, and that's displayed in some points here. Mostly i'm talking the quick and swift scene of the Scratchy axe, like how the axe just sort of hovers in the air for a second. Also, when Scratchy lands from the fall, he becomes flat as flat bread. It looks he fell on the camera, but what happened? Minor nitpick, though.

That concludes our three installments from the Tracey Ullman Show. They were all good, but pretty average as it goes for Itchy and Scratchy. Well, the second one was just sorta there for background scenery, but reviewing background scenery just isn't my thing. Next time, i'll be reviewing the Groening, Brooks and Simon era of the actual show, Seasons 1 and 2. Let's see if it's better or worse. Until next time.