• Advertisement

Minions (film)

Clappy

I'll probably catch it one day cuz Sandra Bullock is playing the villan...still haven't seen Inside Out ether.

You should see Inside Out. It was amazing. Everyone I know absolutely fell in love with it, including me. 

Also caught this while I am on vacation. Movie theater is so close and is the perfect thing to do when it storms up here.

Spoiler

It was ok. I will never fully understand the boiling hatred for these characters. As a movie though, this is not as strong as the Despicable Me movies. I didn't expect it to be as good so while it didn't exceed my expectations, it didn't necessarily underwhelm them either.

What certainly was it's strong point though was it's physical comedy. I enjoyed that aspect as it certainly brought shades of Three Stooges level of humor which did the film well. I also thought the voice acting was great. Most of the characters felt alive with the talent involved. I loved Sandra Bullock's character as she played a great foil for the Minions to work with as well as Jon Hamm whenever he appears too. Almost to the same levels as Steve Carrell with the original movies. Oh and the animation was really good, but I expect that since the Despicable Me movies have always had that and I didn't expect any less effort from Illumination Studios on that aspect. Say what you want on the strengths and weaknesses from Illumination compared to other animation studio rivals, but they are always visually eye pleasing.

That being said, the plot could have used more effort. When the film strays away from the plot for more Minion nonsense, it drags noticeably. I kept waiting for either the joke or to go back to focusing on the plot. Also while I felt the physical comedy worked, the other jokes were either hit or miss. You can definitely tell that the jokes that missed were aimed for a much younger demographic, which I can respect since I know Minions is aimed for the younger aspect of the Despicable Me fanbase.

So yeah, Minions is definitely not the worst thing ever like Reddit makes it out to be. It's a perfectly planned spinoff in essence since as I've noted in this thread, Minions are popular in pop culture and make tons of money in merchandising. Universal/Illumination made this at the right time and while I'm unsure as to if this is getting a sequel or not since the ending lead up right to where the Despicable Me movies begin, this spinoff will be and is profitable. So yeah, this is what I thought it would be. It's passable and ok. Don't need to see this again, but it does make me excited for Despicable Me 3 in two years where the Minions can go back to being the comedic relief to an actual story. Right where they belong.