• Advertisement

Super Mario Sunshine

CyanideFishbone

Discuss the least critically acclaimed of all the mainstream Mario games, which is actually my favorite.

I have my reasoning. This is my favorite mario game because it feels different. It's not in the Mushroom kingdom and i love the tropical feel of the 7 enviorments, and even the final boss ties in with it being in a volcano. You could argue that Super Mario Galaxy has the same different feel, which it does, but the galaxies in galaxy weren't immersive like Sunshine's levels. Sunshine's levels (That is, except Ricco Harbor and the hotel level) were really big, so you could just not do the Shine mission and just go walk around and do stupid stuff, and i still hold in my words that Delfino Plaza is my favorite hub in any Mario games. There's just a lot of stupid shit you can do there, but that's why i like it so much. 

Darn you, E.V.I.L. for reminding me of this awesome game.

Discuss it here.

The game's bosses were also hard. Screw you, Eely-Mouth.

SMS>SMG>SM64>SM3DW>SMG2>SM3DL

My personal opinion on the 3D Marios. Sunshine personally is one of my favorite games ever (it's pretty much top but these things always fluctuate depending on my mood :P )

Like you, I enjoyed that Nintendo actually tried to do something new, something they downright refuse to do with Mario anymore, especially with 2D Mario. =/ Oh and I pretty much loved all the levels in Super Mario Sunshine, along with the whole Isle Delfino thing where it actually felt like a connected world with actual (silly) characters. Oh, and I'm probably in the minority but I freaking loved F.L.U.D.D and the stepback from traditional Mario enemies and platforming... if a Mario game could be like this again, my life will be complete. Sadly, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

The only problems I had with this game were some of the blue coins and the boss battles. (dear god, they were awful except for Phantamanta)

Realistically, it's not the best Mario game in terms of how things "should be", but I enjoy it more than enough so I do really enjoy it and it still remains my favorite Mario over SMG and SMW.

Edit: Few addendums

Delfino Plaza for best Mario hub anyday and they've gone nothing but downhill ever since with that. Comet Observatory was cool but Starship Mario? @_@ Mario Galaxy 2 was really when they started getting a bit too linear.

Oh, did i mention the water looks amazing in this game? Because it does, k.

SMS>SMG>SM64>SM3DW>SMG2>SM3DL

My personal opinion on the 3D Marios. Sunshine personally is one of my favorite games ever (it's pretty much top but these things always fluctuate depending on my mood :P )

Like you, I enjoyed that Nintendo actually tried to do something new, something they downright refuse to do with Mario anymore, especially with 2D Mario. =/ Oh and I pretty much loved all the levels in Super Mario Sunshine, along with the whole Isle Delfino thing where it actually felt like a connected world with actual (silly) characters. Oh, and I'm probably in the minority but I freaking loved F.L.U.D.D and the stepback from traditional Mario enemies and platforming... if a Mario game could be like this again, my life will be complete. Sadly, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

The only problems I had with this game were some of the blue coins and the boss battles. (dear god, they were awful except for Phantamanta)

Realistically, it's not the best Mario game in terms of how things "should be", but I enjoy it more than enough so I do really enjoy it and it still remains my favorite Mario over SMG and SMW.

Edit: Few addendums

Delfino Plaza for best Mario hub anyday and they've gone nothing but downhill ever since with that. Comet Observatory was cool but Starship Mario? @_@ Mario Galaxy 2 was really when they started getting a bit too linear.

Oh, did i mention the water looks amazing in this game? Because it does, k.

Yeah, i hated the manta level. I still think Secret Of The Village Underside is the hardest mission in the game. It took me 5 years to beat, no kidding. I finally did about a week ago.

I like 2D Marios regardless, but i think Nintendo should take a break from them. Also, tone down the Koopalings, Nintendo. Sure, they're awesome, but....

I think we need SMS 2 in 2015. That'll sell lots of Wii U's. 

Also, my favorite level to play around in was definaintly Noki Bay or Pinna Park. Darn spinny pirate ships.

Noki Bay is still my favorite song in the game. It's so relaxing.

I think if they make SMS 2, don't involve the Koopalings. Just keep it Bowser and Bowser Jr. I'm fine with the Koopalings, but i don't think they should be used. Keep it Mario, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr. and maybe Luigi or Toad. 

Yeah, i hated the manta level. I still think Secret Of The Village Underside is the hardest mission in the game. It took me 5 years to beat, no kidding. I finally did about a week ago.

I like 2D Marios regardless, but i think Nintendo should take a break from them. Also, tone down the Koopalings, Nintendo. Sure, they're awesome, but....

I think we need SMS 2 in 2015. That'll sell lots of Wii U's. 

Also, my favorite level to play around in was definaintly Noki Bay or Pinna Park. Darn spinny pirate ships.

Noki Bay is still my favorite song in the game. It's so relaxing.

I think if they make SMS 2, don't involve the Koopalings. Just keep it Bowser and Bowser Jr. I'm fine with the Koopalings, but i don't think they should be used. Keep it Mario, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr. and maybe Luigi or Toad. 

Honestly, I don't think Super Mario Sunshine is hard at all except for that Lily Pad mission.... I beat SotVU on my first try... not that hard. :P

I don't think Nintendo should take a break from 2D Mario, I think they should actually try. New Super Mario Bros 2. was not trying; New Super Mario Bros. U was trying but ultimately failing at not making it dull. 

And no, we do not need another Super Mario Sunshine. I'd prefer it immensely that they make a new 3D Mario rather than milk one of their unique games. (sorta like what they did with NSMB) And by new, I don't mean Super Mario Galaxy 3-- forget Super Mario 64 2! Enough of both of those games. =\

Oh, also, screw the koopalings. They were a nice novelty when they came back from Wii... now NSMB wins in the boss battle category for being the only one to have original ones... yeah.

And, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm sick of Bowser and the princess being kidnapped. Pull a Mario 3D World on us Nintendo and make Peach and Rosa playable again. ^_^

Here's mah idea

Bowser has mysteriously dissapeared and Mario has gotten enough coins to take Princess Peach, Toad, and Luigi to Isle Delfino again! However, on their flight there, their plane is shot down by Bowser and Bowser Jr and crash on a island and all 4 are separated. However, they end up on another island inhabited by Piantas called Isle Pianta (how original). However, Bowser has inhabited this island and stole all the Shines, turning the Island dark. Mario must save all the shines, and rescue Peach, Toad and Luigi and bring back peace to the island! 

Some parts of the island will be based off of Hawaii and California! One of the 7 stages will be based off of San Fransisco and there will be a Alpine Mountain-kind of stage! 

Honestly, I don't think Super Mario Sunshine is hard at all except for that Lily Pad mission.... I beat SotVU on my first try... not that hard. :P

I don't think Nintendo should take a break from 2D Mario, I think they should actually try. New Super Mario Bros 2. was not trying; New Super Mario Bros. U was trying but ultimately failing at not making it dull. 

And no, we do not need another Super Mario Sunshine. I'd prefer it immensely that they make a new 3D Mario rather than milk one of their unique games. (sorta like what they did with NSMB) And by new, I don't mean Super Mario Galaxy 3-- forget Super Mario 64 2! Enough of both of those games. =\

Oh, also, screw the koopalings. They were a nice novelty when they came back from Wii... now NSMB wins in the boss battle category for being the only one to have original ones... yeah.

And, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm sick of Bowser and the princess being kidnapped. Pull a Mario 3D World on us Nintendo and make Peach and Rosa playable again. ^_^

I didn't know what you had to do with the stupid throwing Piantas lol.

Yeah, but i'd still like Sunshine 2 sometimes. I really liked 3D world and land, it was really interesting seeing 2D Mario elements clash with 3D Mario. I liked the first two NSMBs, but they got really bland. I think if they make a 3rd in the future, we need it to be harder and more original. 

Yes, and in my idea for SMS2, Peach is playable, but you have to unlock her.

Also, i love Piantas :P

I didn't know what you had to do with the stupid throwing Piantas lol.

Yeah, but i'd still like Sunshine 2 sometimes. I really liked 3D world and land, it was really interesting seeing 2D Mario elements clash with 3D Mario. I liked the first two NSMBs, but they got really bland. I think if they make a 3rd in the future, we need it to be harder and more original. 

Yes, and in my idea for SMS2, Peach is playable, but you have to unlock her.

Also, i love Piantas :P

In my idea, we need a new location, a new mechanic, new power-ups. One powerup won;t do me over, even if Super Mario 3D WOrld is a nice game.

And.... nice avatar?

• Like 1

(Combo breaker time)

Might as well get myself an emulator for this game so I can play it.

But I do have a GameCube, so I dunno how I'm going to play SMS when I only have that.

I'd look online or second-hand game stores, if you have one. I got mine at GameStop about 5 years ago when they still sold hand-me-down Gamecube games.

This is not the least critically acclaimed Mario platformer and it's not as original as some fans like to say it is. I still think it's one of the weaker 3D Mario platformers, but I wouldn't mind a sequel or remake that can fix the problems I had with the game.

This is not the least critically acclaimed Mario platformer and it's not as original as some fans like to say it is. I still think it's one of the weaker 3D Mario platformers, but I wouldn't mind a sequel or remake that can fix the problems I had with the game.

I played this game earlier today, and I still really like it.

I'd love a sequel.

I played this game earlier today, and I still really like it.

I'd love a sequel.

It's great when you're just playing the main missions, but when going for 100% (which I usually do with the 3D Mario games), the flaws become really obvious. I'd be fine with a sequel, but only if it could improve on the aspects I didn't like about Sunshine.

While it wasn't as successful as other Mario titles. It did have some things that made it different from other Mario games at the time. And that is a different storyline and the whole F.L.U.D.D gameplay mechanic. I think F.L.U.D.D was a good concept that if it was pulled off well it could've been in other Mario titles. In my opinion, they should go back to this style of gameplay since it bought new life to the series.

• Like 1