• Advertisement

NFL Draft Prospect Michael Sam Could Be NFL's 1st Openly Gay Player

Clappy

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140210/michael-sam-missouri-tigers-nfl-draft/?eref=sihp

It's been all over ESPN this weekend so I figured it should be addressed.  Michael Sam has the potential to be the first openly gay player in NFL history.  The question is whether a team will take a chance on him.  He announced this right before the NFL Draft combine where he gets to show his skills in front of multiple team scouts.  The NFL Draft is in May and before his announcement, Michael Sam was being looked as a second or third round draft prospect out of seven draft rounds.  Now that he has announced that he is gay, one has to wonder if this will possibly change his draft stock.

While I think in general people coming out about their sexuality is brave, I think Michael Sam is incredibly brave for doing this.  I sincerely hope that a team drafts him and gives him a chance to succeed in the NFL based off of talent alone.  Of course his announcement has the potential to be a distraction to whatever team he's on and he is aware of it.  But his attitude is more about being accepted as a teammate no matter his sexual orientation.  I applaud him for taking that sort of role and hope he gets rewarded the chance to succeed as a professional football player.

• Like 2