• Advertisement

J.K. Rowling admits Hermione didn't really belong with Ron

Clappy

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2014/02/02/jk-rowling-hermione-harry-not-ron/

As a Harry Potter fanboy, I have to admit that I wasn't surprised to see a bit of writer's remorse from Rowling over who Hermione ended up with. I always felt that Ron-Hermione's relationship in the end felt a bit awkwardly developed with Hermione becoming incredibly moody over who Ron was dating (Lavendar Brown). So yeah, anyone else shocked to see Rowling regret one of the key relationships of the Harry Potter series?

(Having only seen the movies) It always seemed like Ron/Hermione was tacked on at virtually the last minute (movie-wise, somewhere around Half-Blood Prince; I dunno if that was the same as the books, though) and was almost explained away by general teenage hormones ("oh, we've known each other for a long time and both have urges so let's so something about that"). The characters themselves make sense as a couple, because Hermione would never play second-fiddle in a relationship and Ron has the classic goofy-sitcom-husband persona that wouldn't threaten her mentally and wouldn't stray from her physically (which is why Hermione got so moody over Lavender Brown, I guess), but I never got the sense that Rowling ever knew what to really do with Ron after Prisoner of Azkaban. I mean, she planned to kill him off; she had to kind of develop him on the fly, and that wasn't really helpful to him at all.

That said, movie-wise, I was always pulling for Harry/Luna. The actors had amazing chemistry.

• Like 1

(Having only seen the movies) It always seemed like Ron/Hermione was tacked on at virtually the last minute (movie-wise, somewhere around Half-Blood Prince; I dunno if that was the same as the books, though) and was almost explained away by general teenage hormones ("oh, we've known each other for a long time and both have urges so let's so something about that"). The characters themselves make sense as a couple, because Hermione would never play second-fiddle in a relationship and Ron has the classic goofy-sitcom-husband persona that wouldn't threaten her mentally and wouldn't stray from her physically (which is why Hermione got so moody over Lavender Brown, I guess), but I never got the sense that Rowling ever knew what to really do with Ron after Prisoner of Azkaban. I mean, she planned to kill him off; she had to kind of develop him on the fly, and that wasn't really helpful to him at all.

That said, movie-wise, I was always pulling for Harry/Luna. The actors had amazing chemistry.

Well the books were the same as the movies because Ron/Hermione was tacked on Half-Blood Prince as well in the same general teenage hormone fashion.

I felt like she did a good job building up the potential of a Harry/Hermione relationship throughout the first five books. Like it was always in the back of my mind that maybe those two would become more than just friends. Then BOOM. Harry started to get feelings for Ginny in Half-Blood Prince out of nowhere too. I guess I should have seen that one coming with the character development for Ginny throughout the book series. Still, Ron and Hermione argued multiple times in the series and it never implied that they secretly longed for each other. I always thought that those two would turn out to keep a really strong friendship despite the two never seeing eye to eye on most things. Then I watched the movies and they turned their relationship into a love-hate one. The books just had them as two that constantly fought but then made up and just acted as Harry's loyal friends. Until Half-Blood Prince obviously.

I just thought the books gave away subtle hints that Harry and Hermione would end up as more than just friends multiple times throughout. Then yeah Half-Blood Prince happened and the rest is history. History that Rowling now is having second thoughts about.

I thought Harry and Hermione were gonna be together when I saw the first movie, but I like that she ended up with Ron, breaks the stereotype of the hero getting the lead female, also gives hope to those stuck in the friendzone xP

I can actually see that work. 

Well the books were the same as the movies because Ron/Hermione was tacked on Half-Blood Prince as well in the same general teenage hormone fashion.

I felt like she did a good job building up the potential of a Harry/Hermione relationship throughout the first five books. Like it was always in the back of my mind that maybe those two would become more than just friends. Then BOOM. Harry started to get feelings for Ginny in Half-Blood Prince out of nowhere too. I guess I should have seen that one coming with the character development for Ginny throughout the book series. Still, Ron and Hermione argued multiple times in the series and it never implied that they secretly longed for each other. I always thought that those two would turn out to keep a really strong friendship despite the two never seeing eye to eye on most things. Then I watched the movies and they turned their relationship into a love-hate one. The books just had them as two that constantly fought but then made up and just acted as Harry's loyal friends. Until Half-Blood Prince obviously.

I just thought the books gave away subtle hints that Harry and Hermione would end up as more than just friends multiple times throughout. Then yeah Half-Blood Prince happened and the rest is history. History that Rowling now is having second thoughts about.

Harry just kinda makes sense with everyone to me, so I can buy Harry/Ginny because she's his best friend's sister so he'd spend a lot of time with her and then it'd just solidify the "brother" bond him and Ron always had (I'm almost positive him saving her in the Chamber of Secrets had an everlasting effect on her). Also would've believed him with Cho and Luna (as I mentioned above). Hermione would've been almost too easy and it wouldn't have meshed with her personality because she'd have to be comfortable with not being top dog; she was worse than Harry at Defense Against the Dark Arts and I don't think she'd ever go for someone that's better than her (along with him being super duper famous and whatnot). Ron's just a safe option, and the development made it seem like they love each other as friends and just got into a relationship out of convenience because Rowling never decided to introduce anyone else.

I started  noticing hints of RonxHermione as early as the Prisoner of Askaban (them acting awkward when they accidentally hold hands with the Hippogriff scene, for example) 

HP was one of those series where I never had a preferred couple that I liked. Though after I saw Chamber of Secrets, I did used to think that Harry and Hermione would end up together. Though I also thought the end was a nice twist since the hero did not end up with the female lead and it's the two best friends that got together instead.

• Like 1

I started  noticing hints of RonxHermione as early as the Prisoner of Askaban (them acting awkward when they accidentally hold hands with the Hippogriff scene, for example)

Once again that was the movies. The books they never implied anything til the sixth one. :P

Although I do understand where you are coming from. The book never had that Ron and Hermione moment.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rowling didn't think about the pairing when she was writing Azkaban and then when the movie was being made she was already writing them together in the books so she just told Cuaron to put that bit in so it doesn't look as forced.