• 2/5 Ghosts
    • 1/5 Ghosts

M7i5YWZ.png

Premieres: 

Saturday, October 12th @ 11:00am ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, October 12th @ 3:30pm ET/PT

Sunday, October 13th @ 9:00pm ET/PT

Plot: Plankton becomes a ghost to steal the secret formula, but requires a few lessons from the Flying Dutchman.

I can't praise this episode enough. Mr. Lawrence is one person that gets how Plankton episodes should be. Fun, creative, interesting with originality and cool dynamics. This one had it all. This was more of a Flying Dutchman teacing Plankton to be scary than another steal the formula shtick to me. I loved the mentor/apprentice dynamic Plankton and The Flying Dutchman had. Plankton going from a pathetic ghost to be an actual skilled ghost was a good progression only to be backfired by more disadvantages of being a ghost, which i found it so much interesting to watch. Comedy here wasn't the main focus but I did like the jokes they made here. Especially the Pearl shapeshift gag, which couldn't have been funnier than ever after OCM shit. I loved seeing how unimportant SpongeBob was in the episode and his cameo was actually gold. I think pacing was at its finest of all s12 episodes. Every plot progression flowed nicely and the episode was wrapped up with Plankton regretting to be a ghost and Flying Dutchman regretting to have a body. The animation was once again stellar. It had just the right amount of creepy and scary faces and the episode felt dark in a colorful way. This episode is truly one of the strongest episodes of the season.

Grade: A

• Like 1
  • Happy 2
  • Wow 1

Fantastic episode. For years I had always wanted a Dutchman and Plankton team-up episode, and I couldn't have imagined it any other way. Both of them played off of each other very well, and it was another unique take on the Plankton steals the formula premise. I loved the funeral ending too, which was amusing. This episode just made me realize I've missed the Dutchman's presence on the show.

Grade: A

• Like 2

I thought this was a really great episode. It was great to see the Flying Dutchman again and him showing Plankton the ghost ropes was really funny, including Plankton learning the disadvantage of being a ghost. My favorite part was probably Plankton's funeral, and then when the Dutchman took over Plankton's body, only to regret it once everybody stepped on him. It was a really dark, funny, and great episode for Halloween.

This was a team-up that nobody KNEW that they had always WANTED to see, but we are certainly glad that it came about! And although I can't prove it (thanks to the original source writing being LONG gone from my computer, and either deleted or BURIED underneath a TON of vintage TV.com stuff), I actually PREDICTED about Plankton becoming a ghost on one of my old "Spongebob and Friends" episode ideas, and the Flying Dutchman was his mentor, before trying to betray him in order to get Plankton's body! And it's amazing how despite how little Spongebob was used in this episode, they still made the little bit of time he DID get in this episode, pure comedy gold! And it's nice to see that both the Flying Dutchman AND Plankton, got a taste of "Laser Guided Karma" for the ghostly stuff they pulled on all the aquatic creatures in Bikini Bottom! I think I can give this episode a 10/10! Enough said, true believers!