• Advertisement

Photobucket and Us

Guest hilaryfan80

Guest hilaryfan80

It's time that I address the elephant in the room: free image uploading websites are great, but they do shut down. First there was Imageshack, and now we have Photobucket closing off their images to the world. If you've been under a rock, here is what happened with Photobucket.

Thanks to the work of several LCs, we have now transferred every Photobucket image posted on SBC over to SBC itself. This means historic posts are preserved. Over the next few days, I will also be going through and changing all remote images posted before September 2015 (so before V11) to be hosted on SBC to prevent further issues. All posts past September 2015 have already been saved on SBC's server, so there's nothing to worry about there.

I would also like to say that if you would like to preserve something for the future, the best way to do so is to upload it to SBC directly. Every post on SBC has this nifty little thing below it:

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 7.39.31 AM.png

By default, SBC saves every image you post even if it comes from a remote website like Imgur or Photobucket. However, uploading via attachment is the safest way to upload something to SBC if you wish to preserve it. Also, if you would like to delete your picture in the future, uploading via attachment is also the safest way because removing the image from the post also deletes it from SBC's server, unlike uploading it to another website where SBC will retain the image anyways.

Other than SBC, if you're looking for an alternative to Photobucket, really the best solution is to not rely on one particular website or app to host all of your images. This is just a common idea anyways: businesses shut down, things happen, websites get hacked... Photobucket's hotlinking changes should be a reminder to us that, just like real life, things happen and you should always keep backups. While you can still download your pictures off of Photobucket like many have done, this is not always the case. For all we know, a hurricane could have came and wiped off Imgur's entire website and backups. Things happen, so my advice is to keep your most important images in multiple places. One great idea is to find a free web host (000webhost perhaps?) and start your own gallery with it using the 1 click installer, and then keep another copy of your images on your computer. This way you're completely in control of your own images. Just some ideas.

Anyways, that's enough of my rambling. I thought I'd let SBC know what's going on and what my advice is.