• Advertisement

Riverdale

BoJack Horseman

everyone has been talking about this show, based on Archie comics, so I decided to watch it myself. At first It really looked like a typical teen drama/soap opera and it is and it has really disturbing and dramatic stuff that sometimes be too much for my taste but overall, I totally dig this. Kind of started out like my guilty pleasure at first but later on I was really invested by the characters, story arcs and plot twists and It kept teasing the biggest mystery and we'll know whodunit at the end of the season. My favorite characters are Jughead, Veronica, Betty and Cheryl (she's a jerk but what an amusing one). So what do you think?

The best show on The CW, Everything is so amazingly terrible. Right now I can't tell if I enjoy it on a "so bad it's good" level or if I genuinely love it, but it's just so fun to watch. I think what makes it so enjoyable is that the showrunner is also the head editor at Archie Comics, and he's getting the cheesiness he's able to get here is totally in-line with what people think of when they think of Archie comics. The guy also wrote/is writing this super amazing Archie horror comic called Afterlife with Archie, so the show plays to his strengths when it comes to the eerie murder mystery side of things. One kind of odd thing though is that Archie is really a non-factor in this whole show, which I think is an interesting narrative decision because when you think of Riverdale and these characters you think of Archie leading the pack, but when it comes to the murder mystery plot (which is basically driving the show) he's almost always in the wrong or Betty and Jughead just shove him out as soon as they can, and he just goes back to focusing on his music. I hope he ends up getting meatier material down the line, because after all at the end of the day he's still Archie with a capital A, and it's weird to see the main guy get pushed aside (especially because I don't think KJ Apa is doing a particularly poor job and I'd like to see him do something substantial and important).

I think all the girls are currently the best part of the show, specifically Veronica and Cheryl. Veronica I think just gets some of the best material to work with and the actress is actually not super terrible, which helps a lot, and I really like how they're characterizing her, and Cheryl is just so deliciously over-the-top that I can't help but love everything she says and does.

Mentioned this in my Ask thread, but I sincerely do not like Jughead. I want to so much because I think what they're doing with him is really interesting and his personality is just a nice breath of fresh air, both in the show and in the comics, but I think Cole Sprouse is just such a bad actor, and I don't think he can believably pull off that heavy noir-style narration that he does. 

But yeah. Overall super great show. Highly, highly recommend.

• Like 1

okay sorry I had to.

Anyway I haven't heard of this yet but I haven't had a real interest in Archie comics, but what do you know, I could enjoy it, I'm just not interested in it. But it could throw something along later in the road that will catch my interest. Already, honestly, it seems like a bit of a weird concept at least to me (can't really think of the last time I really thought about Archie comics or really mention someone talk about it), but hey, in the age where everything is getting rebooted, I really shouldn't be too surprised.

You can definitely put me under the "so bad, it's good" category.  I'm enjoying myself watching this because I definitely think it knows it's taking itself way too seriously for a show about neo-noir Archie.  I think termi is onto something with the Archie head editor being behind the series.  Because they definitely have the characters right (for the most part) and the actors are absolutely hamming it up.  I'm all but sold that this is too comedically self serious on purpose.  The Archie comics have always been cheesy for as long as I was reading them and when you think of neo-noir Archie, this is exactly what you woud expect it to be.  Unintentionally has become my favorite show on The CW now.