• Advertisement

Cerebus the Aardvark

Rebel the Wolfgirl

Musings of a Fire Lord

Two years later

Fire Lord Zuko was exhausted. He rose from his throne, extinguishing the flames that surrounded it before exiting the room. It had been a long day, one of the longest in a while.

As he shed the garb he wore in the throne room in favor of a red robe, he reflected on what he had just been told by one of the scouts that had just returned to give his report on the status of the Fire Nation and the world at large.

Even three years after the war had officially ended, things were not peaceful. Tensions were high between Fire Nation natives and refugees who had been relocated after his father had led an assault on their home during Sozin’s Comet, burning much of the Earth Kingdom to ashes. This tension often led to violence.

Zuko had done his best to restore order, but it was not easy. This was due, in part, to the fact that a large number of the people he ruled over resented him. Words like “traitor”, “craven” and “bastard" were often shouted at him when he visited cities and towns in the Fire Nation. His father, whatever he had done, was still the Fire Lord before, and Zuko was viewed by many as a treasonous coward who had conspired with the Avatar to overthrow Ozai. The fact that he and Aang were often burned in effigy spoke volumes.

Far worse than this, though, were the recent attacks, carried out by an enemy working from the shadows. It had started three weeks before, with the firebombing of Kyoshi Island. It had occurred in the dead of night, while the inhabitants of the island were asleep. The attack had caught everyone there by surprise, with only Suki, Ty Lee, and two other Kyoshi Warriors, along with a handful of the other people who dwelt there, managing to escape. The Earth King, who had returned to Ba Sing Se after the end of the war, had been assassinated. It was rumored the Dai Li, who had seemingly vanished after leaving his sister’s service, were responsible. His uncle’s tea shop had been torched. The events were seemingly unrelated, but Zuko had had a feeling in his gut for a while that there was a connection. This feeling was proved correct the week before, when Mai’s little brother, Tom-Tom, was taken from his bed, with a note left behind. The writer claimed responsibility for all three attacks, and promised that, if their demands were met, the boy would not be harmed. Mai’s parents, worried sick, had paid the kidnapper what they demanded, and Tom-Tom was returned, scared, but largely unharmed.

What was the most worrying to Zuko, however, was the fact that, as far as his scouts had searched over the past two years, they still had not found his sister, Azula. This meant that either she had died, which he doubted, or that she simply didn't want to be found. This, in turn, led to two possibilities: Azula had settled down somewhere, and was living a quiet life, which, as much as he hoped it were true, he didn't believe, or she was working in the shadows, orchestrating some master plan.

Zuko had last seen Azula a little over two years earlier, when she was still in the mental hospital she had been confined to after the war. Zuko was her only visitor, and it pained him to see her in such a broken state. He made a habit of giving her a hug and telling her he loved her every time he visited. When he visited for the last time,Azula seemed more like her old self. There were no hallucinations or enraged outbursts; just her, as sarcastic and headstrong as ever. When he hugged her before he left, and told her he loved her, Azula had said, smirking a bit, “I know, Zuzu. I'll be better soon. You'll see.”

The next morning, he received word she had escaped during the night. He immediately ordered her found, knowing how dangerous Azula still was. Two years later, she was still missing. Zuko was worried, not only about his sister, but about what she could be planning…

-----

Not a proper chapter, just a little teaser. The actual next chapter should be up later tonight.

Edited by GreyKnight151

The Invasion Begins

A fleet of warships sailed across a clear, calm sea, their bows cutting through the water like the fins of sharks. At the head of this formidable formation was an Empire-class battleship, its bow resembling a dragon. The ship was named Sozin’s Wrath, and was heavily armed with numerous metal trebuchets and ballistas.

At the prow of this warship stood two figures, one male and one female, the latter noticeably taller than the former: Azula and Cerebus. Azula’s hair was shoulder length, black with tinged red. Her features were as flawless as ever, her noble blood evident in the shape of her face. Her golden eyes gleamed as she looked out over the water, towards her home.

Cerebus hadn't changed much in the two years since they had met, in appearance or personality. He was still as crass and hedonistic as ever, killing, drinking and whoring whenever he felt like it. He lacked the charisma and sheer force of will Azula possessed, which meant that recruiting their army had been her doing. After killing Sludge, they had traveled across many lands, using the vast horde of treasure they had acquired to hire an army of mercenaries.

Of course, many of these men had tongues sharper than their swords, which meant that a large number of them fell quickly in combat. The ones that didn't were experienced soldiers, many of whom had fought in the Hundred Year War for the Fire Nation. They had left, they said, either because they found peacetime boring or didn't like the way her brother was ruling. As they would rather see Azula in power, many former Fire Nation soldiers and commanders flocked to her when they learned she was building an army. The number of soldiers under her command grew very quickly, and so did the wealth she possessed. Many of the commanders who joined her were formerly in the Navy, and had taken their warships with them when they left the Fire Nation. This led to a formidable fleet of warships being put under Azula’s command.

The relationship between Azula and Cerebus had changed over the two years since they had met. At first, they were allies of convenience, but as time went on, the two grew closer. Cerebus had revealed a surprisingly emotional side of himself to her, telling her about his regrets, and how he had left his family behind. Azula, in turn, told him about her unstable mind, about how she saw not only her mother, but also her father, with both of them trying to pull her down different paths. Cerebus hadn't said much, and he wasn't overly emotional when he did speak, but his words had brought her great comfort.

Eventually, after many months, the two of them became lovers. It was not easy due to the difference in size, but they made it work the best they could. Many of her soldiers hated Cerebus, but did not voice their opinions, either because of loyalty to, or fear of, Azula.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Cerebus retching over the side of the ship. He wiped his mouth and groaned, “How much longer must Cerebus stay on this ship? You know how seasick he gets.”

Azula snickered a bit. “There is still a good amount of sea to cover. We'll be sailing for another day or so.”

Her words were met with another groan from the aardvark, who rested his head on the railing in front of them. “Fuck.”

This made Azula laugh harder. This drew glances from several members of the crew, who had never seen her so amused before. She stopped laughing, glaring at all of them. They quickly went back to their duties. Azula looked back at the open sea. “I never thought that I would see my home again.”

Cerebus stood up, snorting. “Cerebus is assuming that we won't just be able to sail in and get off these ships without a fight.”

Her lips twitched. “That is correct. The Fire Nation navy is still quite formidable. We are going to have a hard fight on our hands, both at sea and once we reach the shore. I'm not worried, though. We have a mighty fleet of ships, and, once we disembark…”

Azula stuck out her hands, before unleashing an inferno of flame into the sky. Her Firebending had become much more powerful since she had escaped from the asylum. It helped that she was angry beyond belief, and driven by her desire to seize the throne.

A man, wearing the distinctive uniform of the Dai Li, walked up to them, bowing to Azula.

“Lady Azula, our preparations are complete. The Dai Li are yours to command.”

“Thank you, Quin. You may go.”

He nodded once, before getting to his feet and walking away. The Dai Li had returned to her service six months earlier, and had killed the Earth King on her orders. They had also burned Iran’s tea shop. After the death of the King, a governor had been appointed in his place, a weak-willed man under the Dai Li’s thumb. Long Feng had long since been executed.

Azula stretched, the cloak she was wearing billowing in the wind. The sun had begun to set. She yawned, before saying, “I am going to retire for the night. Are you joining me?”

Cerebus considered it. “Later. For now, Cerebus is going to have a drink.”

Azula nodded, before heading to her quarters. She fell asleep almost as soon as her head hit the pillow.

-----

Meanwhile, in his cell, Ozai waited. During the three years he had spent in prison, he had memorized the routines and patrol routes of every guard. He knew, in less than thirty seconds, a rather scrawny guard would be coming by his cell. He was going to take this chance to escape.

Once the guard got close, Ozai began coughing and retching, making it appear that he was really sick. The guard, concerned, came over, getting very close to the bars. Ozai, moving quickly, lunged out, grabbing the guard by the throat. He kept his grip tight until the man went limp, allowing Ozai to grab his keys and unlock the cell.

Moving as quickly as he could, the former Fire Lord exited the prison, escaping into the night…

-----

The next morning, upon hearing the news, Zuko spat his morning tea onto the table.

“WHAT?!”

The messenger who brought the news nodded once. “It is true, my Lord. Your father has escaped.”

Zuko sighed. “Anything else?”

The messenger shook his head. Zuko dismissed him. After he left, Zuko sighed.

“I can't believe this…”

Mai, who was sitting across from him, wiped a bit of tea off her face. “I thought you said that prison was inescapable.”

“I thought it was, especially since my father can't Firebend anymore. I guess I underestimated him.”

Suki and Ty Lee were also at the table, having moved into his palace after the destruction of Kyoshi Island.

Ty Lee said, trying to be optimistic, “Well, he can't make it far, right? There will be all kinds of soldiers after him, and everyone knows his face.”

He sighed, “That's the problem.”

“What do you mean?”

“A lot of people hate the fact that I'm Fire Lord, Ty Lee. Many of them would likely give my father shelter, just to spite me.”

“Oh…”

Suki sipped her tea, before asking, “What do you need from us, Zuko?”

“For now, nothing. Whoever attacked your home and killed most of your comrades might still be after you. I won't risk your lives unless absolutely necessary.”

Suki nodded. “I don't like it, but I'll go along with it.”

“Good.”

Iroh asked, trying to lighten the mood, “Who wants more tea?”

----

Azula woke first. Cerebus was passed out drunk, snoring loudly. She looked at him, grinning a bit. He was in for a world of pain when he woke up. She got out of bed, stretched, and exited the room. A servant was waiting, holding a tray, her head bowed. “Tea, Princess?”

Azula nodded, taking the cup. “Thank you.”

The servant nodded, bowing her head once again. Azula sipped her tea as she walked down the halls leading to the upper deck. The morning was bright and the seas were calm. She knew, soon enough, they would encounter the Fire Navy. This was, she predicted, going to be the hardest part of the invasion. The Navy had dominated the seas during the War for a very good reason. She still wasn't worried, however. Many of her commanders were former captains and admirals, hardened by years of fighting. They would win the day or die trying.

Azula headed to the bridge. Upon stepping inside, she said, “Admiral Xian.”

A grizzled man wearing the uniform of a Fire Navy fleet commander turned to her, bowing. “Ah, Princess. I did not expect you. I trust you slept well.”

She gestured to him to rise, before replying, “I did. Give me a status report.”

“We are, as expected, making swift progress, Your Highness. We should reach Ember Island by the early afternoon. Our scouts have reported back, as well. There are a handful of cruisers guarding the island, but it is clear they are not expecting us. It should be quite easy to seize the island, giving our, excuse me, your forces a base of operations from which we can launch the invasion of the homeland.”

“Very good. Good luck, Admiral.”

He nodded, turning back to the map he had been looking at. “And to you, Princess.”

-----

As it turned out, taking the island had been even easier than expected. Upon seeing their fleet, the cruisers raised a flag of surrender, and a deal was worked out, with the ships joining Azula’s fleet. Her forces quickly occupied Ember Island

Azula and Cerebus took up residence in her family’s old vacation home. It was bittersweet returning there, Azula quickly learned as she walked through it. She still remembered a time when things were better, when she and Zuko could play all they wanted, and when her parents were happier. She teared up a bit, closing her eyes.

Cerebus saw this, and in a rare moment of compassion, compassion that he only showed when they were alone, put a hand on her side and asked, “Azula, what's wrong?”

She wiped the tears from her eyes. “Nothing. I am just....thinking of old memories.”

He knew by then not to push it, so he merely nodded.

Azula went to the old study, where her father used to read to her. She found old paper, along with a quill and ink. She began to write a letter, meant for Zuko. When she finished, she tied it to a messenger hawk, sending it on its way.

------

Zuko received the message within twenty minutes. Upon reading it, his face went white, and he blinked several times.

Mai looked at him, concerned. He handed her the letter. She was as white as him by the time she finished. Iroh, who was also in the room, asked, “Zuko? Mai? What's wrong?”

Ty Lee and Suki were also in there, and looked over curiously. Zuko said quietly, “Azula’s back.”

Ty Lee, who had been doing a handstand, promptly fell over. Suki nearly choked on the cake she'd been eating. Iroh pounded her back, a look of concern on his face.

Mai said, sending Zuko was too stunned to speak, “She has an army. They've taken Ember Island.”

Suki summed up the situation perfectly once she finished coughing, “Well...shit.”

Everyone else nodded, and an uncomfortable silence fell.

----

From Ember Island, Sozin’s Wrath and the ships accompanying it cut across the sea towards the Fire Nation. It wasn't long before they ran into the Fire Navy. A tense standoff ensued, before fighting broke out. Both sides exchanged a hellish barrage of trebuchet-launched balls of coal, with each impact causing a large explosion.

Neither fleet suffered many casualties initially, due to the sheer durability of Fire Nation vessels. However, after a while, ships began to sink. Cruisers burned, their crews desperately attempting to escape. Several sinking ships exploded, the flames having reached their ammunition stores.

Azula watched stoically from the bridge of Sozin’s Wrath, Cerebus standing beside her. Admiral Xian and his lieutenants were close by, discussing strategy. The captain of the ship barked orders to the crew, who moved quickly about, repairing any damage and keeping the weapons loaded and firing.

Eventually, through sheer attrition, Azula’s fleet began to win. Several enemy ships surrendered, their crews either being taken prisoner or defecting. The rest either fled or were destroyed. There were several other minor naval engagements, but for the most part, they reached the shore unopposed. The naval phase was over.

Azula stepped off the ship, a wide grin on her face. “It’s good to be home…”

-----

And that's that, folks. Next time: the invasion proper begins.