• Advertisement

If the Original Movie came out this year and SOoW came out back in 2004

Cha

Would your thoughts of it change?

I would like the depth message of enjoying who you are and the buddy journey comedy. I think people would think Plankton was out of character trying to kill SB, Pat and Krabs and enslaving the town. But it would make sense that he finally did croak. Chronologically it makes sense to have the original last. 

As for SOoW, let's put aside the fact that they probably couldn't have made as well CGI models of the gang back ten years ago. A major factor in SpongeBob rising to international popularity is because of the original movie. Would SOoW had drawn in as many viewers as the original did if it was back in 2004? I think the trippy plot might have brought in kids, maybe adults. But what really made me love the original was SpongeBob excepting himself and even almost dying for the people who once said he was "just a kid". 

• Like 1

Would your thoughts of it change?

I would like the depth message of enjoying who you are and the buddy journey comedy. I think people would think Plankton was out of character trying to kill SB, Pat and Krabs and enslaving the town. But it would make sense that he finally did croak. Chronologically it makes sense to have the original last. 

As for SOoW, let's put aside the fact that they probably couldn't have made as well CGI models of the gang back ten years ago. A major factor in SpongeBob rising to international popularity is because of the original movie. Would SOoW had drawn in as many viewers as the original did if it was back in 2004? I think the trippy plot might have brought in kids, maybe adults. But what really made me love the original was SpongeBob excepting himself and even almost dying for the people who once said he was "just a kid". 

No thought changed, but I seem to agree with your thoughts.

I think people would see the show as a lot more kid-oriented, IF nothing changed. Obviously the on-land part would be 2-D animation or skipped entirely.  If the land part was kept but with the changed animation for SOOW, the 1st movie would probably be criticized for having less main characters than SOOW and the live action part being a poor redo of SOOWs. I also would think the 1st movie wouldn't be liked as much if it came in 2015 as being such a deviation from the show's wackiness. I'd think SOOW's time travel scenes would be the most advertised. As per the 1st movie's marketing being more on the trench.