• Advertisement

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

William Leonard

Since their new album is being released today, I figured this would be a good time to make a thread for my favourite band.

Discuss the quasi-anarchist post-rock ensemble from Mile End, Montreal. What are your favourite albums/songs? How has listening to this band affected you? Stuff like that.

Me, I bought Lift Your Skinny Fists on vinyl yesterday. It's awesome. (The record store I perused also had a copy of Allelujah!, but my mum said I could only get one or the other. ;n;)

Haven't listened to any of their albums yet, but I want to.

Should I start with Lift Your Skinny Fists or F♯ A♯ ∞? I heard both are great

Lift Your Skinny Fists is widely regarded as their best album, but F♯ A♯ ∞ is, to me, the album that best defines GY!BE and their apocalyptic themes (and it's extremely good too). I recommend starting with the latter, as I did, then moving on to Lift Your Skinny Fists.

Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada is also a good choice if you want a more condensed sample of the sort of stuff they do.

Oh yeah I forgot

I listened to F♯ A♯ ∞ a couple days ago, and I really liked it. It was different than I thought it'll be for sure, The train recording took me by surprise. It was cool tho

• Like 1

I got to listening to Lift Yr. Skinny Fists a couple weeks ago, and it's just an amazing album. I haven't listened to F#A# yet, but I'm definitely planning to when I have the time.