• Advertisement

The Official Oscars 2014 Thread

jdfr03

Also, I enjoyed Ellen as a host, and I predicted most of the winners, but there were still some surprises, namely Matthew McConahay's Best Actor win. I thought Leo would get it for sure!

It was actually a pretty good year from my understanding for the Best Actor race.  However, it started to become more clear that Matthew McConaughey was going to win after sweeping the Best Actor trophy at the last couple awards shows before the Oscars.  Leo will eventually get his somewhere down the line.  Plus, I bet he's rethinking that break from acting knowing how close he was this past year.

It was actually a pretty good year from my understanding for the Best Actor race.  However, it started to become more clear that Matthew McConaughey was going to win after sweeping the Best Actor trophy at the last couple awards shows before the Oscars.  Leo will eventually get his somewhere down the line.  Plus, I bet he's rethinking that break from acting knowing how close he was this past year.

I'm sure he's not. He was in Django, Gatsby, and Wolf back-to-back-to-back, and only has a Golden Globe to show for it. Taking a break is gonna be good for him. He'll come back stronger than ever.

It also doesn't mean he was "close" at all. Better than Bale maybe (probably), but then he's still against McConaughey, Ejiofer, and Dern, and from my understanding they all delivered amazing performances. More than likely it seems like he was in a 3-way tie for 2nd. Just because his movie made more money or was more recognized than Dallas Buyers Club doesn't automatically mean he gets Best Actor (some girl I follow on tumblr was raging about how she couldn't believe DiCaprio didn't win and her argument was that Great Gatsby and Wolf of Wall Street were more well-known than Dallas Buyers Club, so that's why I say that).

I'm sure he's not. He was in Django, Gatsby, and Wolf back-to-back-to-back, and only has a Golden Globe to show for it. Taking a break is gonna be good for him. He'll come back stronger than ever.

It also doesn't mean he was "close" at all. Better than Bale maybe (probably), but then he's still against McConaughey, Ejiofer, and Dern, and from my understanding they all delivered amazing performances. More than likely it seems like he was in a 3-way tie for 2nd. Just because his movie made more money or was more recognized than Dallas Buyers Club doesn't automatically mean he gets Best Actor (some girl I follow on tumblr was raging about how she couldn't believe DiCaprio didn't win and her argument was that Great Gatsby and Wolf of Wall Street were more well-known than Dallas Buyers Club, so that's why I say that).

Well from what I was reading the race was down to DiCaprio, Ejiofer, and McConaughey so that's what I meant by it was close. As someone who saw Bruce Dern in Nebraska, I thought his performance was pretty good. But from what I read in EW, Bruce Dern's odds were as low as Bale's. I thought Bale was probably the weakest of the main four from American Hustle. Yeah I know EW is probably not as reliable a source, but they usually have a good input as to who is going to win. And from some of the ballots I read in that and from others on the internet, DiCaprio did get plenty of votes for Best Actor.

Oh and obviously just because one movie makes more money than the other doesn't mean it should win. For example, Avatar made 760 million. No chance in hell it should have won Best Picture for that reason alone and thankfully it didn't.