• Advertisement

Britney Spears' "Britney Jean" Review

Ron

1. Alien - 10/10

A warm and smooth track, Alien is a stellar way to start off Britney Spears' latest effort. You know when you sorta associate a color or an image with a certain song? It's called grapheme-color synesthesia, and this track looks like purple to me. I like the overall restraint on the track. 

2. Work Bitch - 6/10

The beat on this song is nice, but it's fairly simple and generic... nothing special, and sticks out on the album. I don't know why she released this as the lead single, although I'm assuming this song was made purposefully to be the lead single, considering it sticks out like a sore thumb.

3. Perfume - 9/10 

Personal and catchy, Perfume is an extremely pop-y song that sounds in place being played in the perfume section of a department song. Spears' vocals are surprisingly great on this song. 

4. It Should Be Easy - 7/10

Featuring Will.i.am, this track is a hit-or-miss song and not at all memorable. 

5. Tik Tik Boom - 8/10

This sounds like a hit. Catchy and sexual. 

6. Body Ache - 3/10

I don't like this song. Nothing about it is memorable, it doesn't stack up to any of the other songs in the least. There's bound to be a stinker.  

7. Til It's Gone - 9/10

This reminds me of Ellie Goulding for whatever reason. Great anthem, I can picture this being a hit on the charts.  

8. Passenger - 9/10

Co-written by Katy Perry, Passenger's opening is surprisingly fresh and unique for Spears. The production here is great and her vocals are crisp and clean. I was a little letdown by the chorus; I was expecting something harder and less mushy, but it is still catchy and radio-ready nonetheless. 

9. Chillin' With You - 1/10

Featuring her sister Jamie Lynn Spears, this track is hilariously laughable. It's like two raspy twins trying hard to make a song that sounds good, but ends up coming out as a messy pile of shit. The "With you, with you, with you" that Spears sings is hilarious. What is she trying to do?

10. Don't Cry - 6/10

Featuring whistling and a very peaceful atmosphere, this track starts off promising, but quickly goes downhill as soon as Spears establishes the generic, boring melody. Her voice doesn't fit the song at all; I think it would've been much better had someone with a stronger voice capable of a larger range sung it. Spears doesn't do it justice, despite it being an overall mediocre song.