• Advertisement

Surge

Young Nug

Plot: Kid meets Big Guy that gets electrical powers, stuff happens

Episode 1: Shock To The System

Dark skies. Atop the hill, a lone, withering tree stood. Dead grey grass blew in the wind. Graves of the fallen lay knocked over and broken, scattered across the hill. A foot came down and crushed a piece of tombstone. This foot belonged to a large, teal fish. He was muscular, with a torn, light brown colored shirt. Across his body was a strap that held the sheath on his back for a sword. A radio was also strapped to his back. As debris blew through the wind, the fish unsheathed his sword and pointed it skyward. The dark sky rumbled, and lighting shot forth. The yellow burst shot directly into the fish’s sword. The electricity crackled and surged through the fish. He screamed in pain and swung his sword towards the dying tree. A bolt of lightning shot from his sword and chopped the tree in two. The muscular fish lay bent over, lighting crackling through him.

“What did that….lightning…..Do to me….?!” He screamed in pain again. This is where his story begins.

The story of a fish named Surge.

= = =

Near the hill, there was a city. It was seedy and filled with crooks. Buildings were broken down and decrepit, and smoke rose from many of them. On the outskirts of the city, a broken sign stood, and under this sign, a young fish sat, watching the dark skies. An obese turtle walked past the sign.

“You better get into the shelter soon, Leer. A storm is coming.” The turtle said.

“That’s what I’m waiting for.” Leer said.

“Suit yourself.” The turtle said, walking into the city. The fish, named Leer, was small, and purple. He had a torn and stringy shirt on, with a pair of black shorts. He watched as a large muscular fish walked up to Dead Tree Hill. As he watched, a shark came up behind him.

“What are you doing, Leer?” The shark asked.

“Haven’t you noticed that that guy always comes up to Dead Tree Hill around this time with his girlfriend? Every day?”

“Yeah…”

“Well, look at him now. Where’s his girlfriend?” Leer and the shark looked on and watched as the fish raised his sword to the sky, and as he was struck with lightning.

“Whoa!” Leer said. He stood up and ran towards Dead Tree Hill. The shark called out at him.

“Where are you going, ya dork?”

“A guy just got struck by lightning!” Leer ran across the muddy, grey ground and up the hill. The sky rumbled again. Leer ran up next to the large fish, who was kneeling on the ground in pain. Electricity sparked off of him and crackled through him.

“Are you okay?” Leer asked the fish. The fish turned over and looked at Leer. He had yellow irises and dark blue pupils. He opened his mouth and let out an earsplitting scream. Visible rings of sound came out of his mouth, and the force was so strong it knocked Leer backwards, sending him down the hill. The fish screamed again on top of the hill. He rose his hand towards the air and lightning shot out of it. Leer crashed into a tombstone. But he uncurled himself and looked up, as the muscular fish took a knee and began breathing hard. Leer ran up to him.

“….DUDE!!!” He yelled. The muscular fish looked at Leer. “DID YOU SEE WHAT YOU JUST DID? YOU UNLEASHED MAD SONIC WAVES INTO THE AIR AND SHOT LIGHTING INTO THE SKY-“

The muscular fish shoved Leer down the hill. The muscular fish stood up, and looked at his hands, which sparkled and crackled with electricity. He squinted, looked at the sky, and made his way down Dead Tree Hill. Leer followed.

“So, what’s your name?” Leer asked. The muscular fish grunted. “What was that? I didn’t quite catch it.”

“Surge.” The muscular fish said. “My name, is Surge.”

“Cool! I’m Leer. Nice to meet you!”

“Shouldn’t you be getting back home?” Surge said in his low, gravely voice. Raindrops began to fall.

“Nobody wants me back there.” Leer said solemnly.

“Your parents?” Leer stopped walking. He stared at the ground.

“They’re….They’re not around anymore.” Surge stopped walking and looked back at the kid, who was staring at the ground with angry eyes. He had obviously touched upon something dark and unpleasant for the boy to remember.

“Sorry, I didn’t know.” Surge said.

“It’s fine.” Leer started slowly strolling again. “What were you doing at dead tree hill? Why did you stick your sword in the air? And where are you going now?”

“For a small kid, you ask a lot of questions.” Surge said, irritated.

“I’ll shut up if you test out some of your powers out in Darkini Field.” Leer said, smirking, and pointing towards a field shrouded in trees.

“Dead Tree Hill, Darkini Field? You just have a name for everything, don’t you?” Surge said, smiling reluctantly.

“Hey, I’m the one asking the questions here!” Leer laughed. Surge smiled, and the two ran into the field.

= = =

“GO!” Leer shouted, releasing branches into the air. Surge, in the middle of the dark field, rose his arm. His arm glowed yellow and began crackling with electricity. He zapped each branch, and they fell to the ground, flaming. Leer ran up to Surge.

“What else do you want to try?” Leer asked eagerly.

“Here, arrange those sticks into a circle.” Surge said. Leer did so. Surge took a knee, and crossed his arms. They began to glow a deep blue. His arms began to sputter, and he shot his arms out and sliced the air. A large ring of static electricity burst forth and the sticks were electrocuted.

“AWESOME!” Leer shouted. “Surge, do you know what you could do with your powers?!”

“I know what you’re thinking, Leer,” Surge said, grinning. “Getting money, robbing people, and becoming crime lords, making the most money in the underground, right?” Leer looked at Surge, crestfallen.

“…Wha….What?”

“You knew I was a criminal, right? That’s why you wanted to hang with me?” Leer turned away from Surge.

“How…?” Leer said to himself. Suddenly, the radio strapped to Surge’s back started playing.

“Attack in the underwater city of Sorpanu……*bzzrt*…..A large burly fish has held fish captive in The Bank…*zzrt bzzap*….Disaster has struck”

“We’ve got to help them!” Leer said.

“Nah, that’s my pal, Crisp. He’s a mean crime boss. He told me he was gonna do this. Let’s go down there, rough up those hostages. And then get the ransom and bust outta there. With these new powers-“

Surge raised his arm as it sparked.

“The cops don’t stand a chance. Come on, Leer.” Leer stood in the field, feeling destroyed inside. He couldn’t think-

“What would your girlfriend have to say about this, Surge?!” Surge stopped walking out of the field. He clenched his fists.

“Don’t talk about her.”

“Speaking of her, why wasn’t she with you today when you stuck your sword in the air and got electrocuted? You could have died!”

“I was trying to.”

Leer stopped talking and his face drooped. Surge gripped his sword very tightly and walked out of the field. After a minute, he followed, into the darkness.

-End-

Thoughts?

• Like 2