• Advertisement

David Bowie: "The Next Day" - Album Review

Sabre

"The Next Day" - David Bowie

41142801-de64-40b0-b206-321a786c21b2_zps26615696.jpg?t=1365024851

Release Date: 03/08/13

Singles: "Where Are We Now?" & "(The Stars) Are Out Tonight"

Tracks: 14

In this thread, over the course of the next two weeks (give or take a couple days), I will be reviewing the new David Bowie album track-by-track in as much detail as I feel necessary. You may have already formed an opinion on the album from the above artwork that, I will agree, isn't great. Do not let that put you off as the sixty-six year old has some tricks up his sleeve to make this a deserving Bowie album. So without further ado, here we go with the first track...

1. "The Next Day"

A title track is one that should grab the listeners attention and make them want to continue to listen to the rest of the album. This song does just that. Like many of the other songs on the album, a repeated listen of at least three or four times is needed before the songs can even begin to grow on you. If you're anything like me, you may only pay attention to the beat and chorus on the first listen but try to listen further as this number has some incredibly creative lyrics throughout. It's one of the catchiest songs (I constantly find myself humming or singing along to the chorus) on the album and does give a little glimpse of late 70's - early 80's Bowie which is absolutely fine by me!

Greatest Moment: The dramatic rise towards the chorus at 1:50 is oddly exciting.

- 9/10

2. "Dirty Boys"

This track shifts the album in a completely different direction and into new, unexpected territory. Like many other songs from this album, the lyrics deal with a depressing matter (Bowie growing up in working-class London in this instance). The song is crafted in such a way that the listener can really hear the sorrow in his voice and the use of an eery guitar and a baritone saxophone only adds to this feeling. Said instruments are without a doubt this songs strongest merit, it works with the lyrics to make it feel extremely atmospheric and perfectly emotional. I will say that this doesn't sound like Bowie, well not the Ziggy Stardust or Major Tom he is known for, yet despite the occasional odd lyric "I will buy a feather hat, I will steal a cricket bat", the song still succeeds in many ways. It is obvious he was inspired by other musicians with this song and I'm glad he's testing it out as a whole album of "Space Oddity" or "Heroes" re-hashes wouldn't have done it for me...

Greatest Moment: The "dirty" saxophone and piano starting at 2:23 really gives the feel of a downtown jazz club.

- 8/10

3. "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)"

The second single released from the album (the first will appear as the fifth track) and one that I can imagine will split listeners into two separate groups. The first group will really connect with the lyrics and the rather creepy video, and the other may dismiss it as another one of Bowie's "weird" songs about, well nothing. I am happy to say that I am in the first group and really enjoy the song for its brilliant lyrics on, from my view, how Bowie perceives how celebrities nowadays have such a huge role in our culture. Of course, I'm not 100% certain on if this is true or not but even if it isn't, it's a great "thinking" songs where in which you can mull over each lyric deciding on what you believe he's trying to tell us. I initially dismissed this as a below average song as Bowie's voice does, admittedly, sound strained during this but I do believe this adds to what he's trying to put across. It's a real passion and feeling he posses towards the topic and you can really hear that in his pleading voice. It's not one of my favorites from the album, but I do very much enjoy it.

Greatest Moment: The moment at 2:55 where the electric guitar can be heard more prominently and you can really hear the pleading in Bowie's voice (also a great place to play the video from :S ).

- 8/10