• Advertisement

Ellie Goulding's "Halcyon" Review

Ron

Ellie Goulding's new album, and I am here to review. :)

1. Don't Say A Word - 9/10

The record starts off strong with a very creepy track that goes hard. It feels fresh, but Ellie Goulding's vocals get a bit annoying as the song goes on.

2. My Blood - 7/10

With a beat reminiscent of Rolling in the Deep, this track again displays Goulding's scratchy voice that can become irritating when she hits higher notes. However, the song is still a nice listen, although not as strong as the opening song.

3. Anything Could Happen - 7/10

This song is just typical teen pop, and honestly sounds like Disney Channel garbage. That being said, it still is an ear-worm. Her vocals are slightly more tolerable on the third track in.

4. Only You - 5/10

She says "Baby, I'm on my knees!" which is incredibly funny for me. Sucking dick, Ellie? Overall, an even crappier song than Anything Could Happen. Boring and typical. However, her vocals are much better here than in any prior song.

5. Halcyon - 10/10

At last we reach the title song! Surprisingly, this song proves to be the best of the album so far. Combining indie pop and dance pop effortlessly, the track is catchy while showcasing Goulding's absolutely flawless vocals on this track in particular; while her voice came across as incredibly annoying on the previous 4 tracks, this song is perfectly suited for her (which is good, considering she wrote it).

6. Figure 8 - 10/10

With a scent of dubstep, this track attacks with a cinematic hook. The pounding beat compliments her improving vocals nicely to make a pop track that doesn't sound like pop.

7. JOY - 9/10

The first ballad of the record begins with a nice piano opening. The glittery track carries through and manages to avoid becoming a cliche love song or a boring ballad and halfway through, explodes with a throbbing beat.

8. Hanging On - 7/10

A revolving beat accompanied with pixie singing. It's a bit tiresome and a bit cliche, honestly.

9. Explosions - 7/10

The song opens with choir-like vocals backing Ellie's singing. I expected a lot from this song, being as it was to be released as a single; it's a good song, but it doesn't slay.

10. I Know You Care - 6/10

Boring, cliche, offers nothing extra to the record.

11. Atlantis - 8/10

This song reminds me of the ocean and a mermaid, why didn't she release this as a single?

12. Dead In the Water - 9/10

A peaceful, good, thought-provoking song that reminds me of a funeral, as well as of the ocean.

13. I Need Your Love ft. Calvin Harris - 9/10

Great pop song.