• Advertisement

doctor who

dragiiin123

Just now, terminoob said:

I'll take that as a no.

If you explain your points clear and concise, you won't have a problem.

But your attitude reads like the only thing you are fixated on is an imaginary flame war that hasn't happened to you. Just not a healthy way to welcome in the new era.

19 hours ago, Hayden said:

If you explain your points clear and concise, you won't have a problem.

But your attitude reads like the only thing you are fixated on is an imaginary flame war that hasn't happened to you. Just not a healthy way to welcome in the new era.

By now you should be 100% aware that I don't just love things all the time for no reason, so why should this be any different? Cool, we have a female Doctor and she's pretty good in Broadchurch and Chibnall knows how to direct her - that's all great (safe choice for Chibnall, but, whatever, that's neither here nor there). That doesn't change the fact that I've been cautious of every new Doctor so far because it's an entirely new person tackling the same character. Sometimes it's a smooth transition and sometimes it isn't. There's always a chance that actor is going to fail (or the showrunner, I guess, but in that case this show has been failing for the past seven years according to some people), and I try to go in with a mindset of "well hopefully they do fine but who fucking knows". I'm not going to blindly be on board with a female Doctor just for the sake of it, just like I've never blindly been on board with anyone else just for the sake of it. I would like to go into this new era with the same mindset I've gone into every era (and everything else - TV show, movie, reboots/reimaginings, video game, book, new creative team on a comic, whatever) with, which is one of open mindedness and cautious optimism. I'm sorry if I'm not gung-ho on this, but I'm not going to change my outlook specifically for this casting choice.

Like, cool, people are super duper excited about a female Doctor because it's new and interesting and because queen can now slay all the Daleks yas even though we haven't even seen a second of how she's gonna portray the character. If people can be excited based on zero information of her portrayal, I can also be cautious based on zero information, and that caution doesn't automatically equate to fixation on imaginary flame wars or having an unhealthy outlook on the new era, so the next time I ask a question or have a different opinion about something I'd like for my attitude to not be read or to be put on blast for no reason.

6 minutes ago, terminoob said:

By now you should be 100% aware that I don't just love things all the time for no reason, so why should this be any different? Cool, we have a female Doctor and she's pretty good in Broadchurch and Chibnall knows how to direct her - that's all great (safe choice for Chibnall, but, whatever, that's neither here nor there). That doesn't change the fact that I've been cautious of every new Doctor so far because it's an entirely new person tackling the same character. Sometimes it's a smooth transition and sometimes it isn't. There's always a chance that actor is going to fail (or the showrunner, I guess, but in that case this show has been failing for the past seven years according to some people), and I try to go in with a mindset of "well hopefully they do fine but who fucking knows". I'm not going to blindly be on board with a female Doctor just for the sake of it, just like I've never blindly been on board with anyone else just for the sake of it. I would like to go into this new era with the same mindset I've gone into every era (and everything else - TV show, movie, reboots/reimaginings, video game, book, new creative team on a comic, whatever) with, which is one of open mindedness and cautious optimism. I'm sorry if I'm not gung-ho on this, but I'm not going to change my outlook specifically for this casting choice.

Like, cool, people are super duper excited about a female Doctor because it's new and interesting and because queen can now slay all the Daleks yas even though we haven't even seen a second of how she's gonna portray the character. If people can be excited based on zero information of her portrayal, I can also be cautious based on zero information, and that caution doesn't automatically equate to fixation on imaginary flame wars or having an unhealthy outlook on the new era, so the next time I ask a question or have a different opinion about something I'd like for my attitude to not be read or to be put on blast for no reason.

Just try not to be so self-involved. You aren't being discriminated against here. You should see with Clara by now that nobody has a problem with portrayal criticism for females. 1/3 of the Doctor Who fanbase are acting like assholes and I want to see you communicate better than they have.

6 hours ago, Hayden said:

You should see with Clara by now that nobody has a problem with portrayal criticism for females 

Idk, a lot of people criticize Clara a lot, mainly as an example of Moffat writing females as only witty and sassy.

1 hour ago, Reverse-Flash said:

Idk, a lot of people criticize Clara a lot, mainly as an example of Moffat writing females as only witty and sassy.

That was my point. I don't see Clara hate ever get any blowback, so if there's an actual flaw with the 13th Doctor, it won't go unrecognized. Plenty of free speech.

Jenna Coleman should've been the first female Doctor (smirk) Capaldi's Doctor somehow remembering her subconsciously with the change would've been a real riot.