• Advertisement

055a. The Great Snail Race

Pakasa43

Well, here we are, with my guiltiest pleasure in the entire show.

This episode is critically underrated, to the point where it's basically at the bottom. But honestly, it never bugged me. EVER. Stuff like Dumped or I Was a Teenage Gary did, but by hardly anything. 

But why do I not hate this episode, let alone put it in my Top 50? Well, the episode IS really funny. But so is IWS. But really, the episode has enough gags to cover any cruelty. The cruelty I didn't mind. At all. Ever. It wasn't nearly close to Pet Sitter Pat or A Pal for Gary territory. It was just cartoony. If this kind of stuff is cartoony, I can handle it. I mean really, a pet exploding and acting like a hybrid car? That just isn't in the slightest realistic. And of course, SpongeBob apologized in the end, and the cruel training sequence was short and sweet. And I found that cruelty funny for those reasons. People don't complain about SCitS little flaws, because they're short. (top 20, by the way) And the episode just had plenty of good gags. To name a few...

Yeah, and then some. The episode, it TRIED. And for me, it worked. My only real complaint is that they decided to scrap "Snellie" in a later episode, "Gary in Love," and replace it with some snail named Mary or something, can't remember. I don't mind the sexist joke because, well, he got comeuppance by Sandy. 

I'm sure some people put it on their best list.