• Advertisement

Maleficent

Clappy

Or as I like to call it: "Oh hey.  Disney is doing another live-action "edgy" "war" movie involving nostalgic franchises."

Seriously though, I've seen Alice in Wonderland.  I've seen Oz: The Great and Powerful.  Even though it wasn't Disney, I've seen Snow White and the Huntsman.  All three sucked and I'm pretty sure this is going to suck as well, even though Angelina Jolie is the perfect casting choice for the star character.

Bleh. If you flesh out too many characters, then the story becomes boring. Why can't we have evil for the sake of evil anymore? Why do we need to humanize villains all the damn time?

Because Disney knows it will make them a shit ton of money.

If they want to humanize a villain, that doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is making these classic Disney properties into action epics/war films.

Because Disney knows it will make them a shit ton of money.

If they want to humanize a villain, that doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is making these classic Disney properties into action epics/war films.

While I agree with that point, it should be noted that the time period these classic Disney movies are set in lends itself to epic action movies. I've always thought of them being pretty concurrent with all that Camelot/King Arthur stuff, especially Sleeping Beauty.

While I agree with that point, it should be noted that the time period these classic Disney movies are set in lends itself to epic action movies. I've always thought of them being pretty concurrent with all that Camelot/King Arthur stuff, especially Sleeping Beauty.

Snow White? Yes. Alice in Wonderland? Eh maybe. Oz? Lolno.

Snow White? Yes. Alice in Wonderland? Eh maybe. Oz? Lolno.

Snow White is actually the one I have a problem with, of those three. Wonderland is set in a wonderland and can have whatever rules it wants, and while Tim Burton's adaptation was nowhere near good at all, I thought his interpretation of Wonderland was at least different enough to be interesting (though that was the only thing interesting in the movie). Oz, like Wonderland, is in a fantasy-within-a-fantasy environment, and as such can be whatever the hell the director/art director want it to be. I've always thought of it as medieval, but I don't think there's one definitive interpretation of how it should look/function (also should note that only The Great and Powerful is Disney; the original movie isn't, so I don't think it should count).

Snow White, on the other hand, just seems really odd as a medieval piece. It makes total sense, but for some reason my brain doesn't agree with it.

Snow White is actually the one I have a problem with, of those three. Wonderland is set in a wonderland and can have whatever rules it wants, and while Tim Burton's adaptation was nowhere near good at all, I thought his interpretation of Wonderland was at least different enough to be interesting (though that was the only thing interesting in the movie). Oz, like Wonderland, is in a fantasy-within-a-fantasy environment, and as such can be whatever the hell the director/art director want it to be. I've always thought of it as medieval, but I don't think there's one definitive interpretation of how it should look/function (also should note that only The Great and Powerful is Disney; the original movie isn't, so I don't think it should count).

Snow White, on the other hand, just seems really odd as a medieval piece. It makes total sense, but for some reason my brain doesn't agree with it.

The way I see it is that everything about the time period Snow White came off as was medieval. I just felt like it worked so much better as a film from that time frame. Of course that doesn't excuse the film itself from it's lazy writing, awful acting, and just being a bad movie.

And of course I was talking about The Great and Powerful as Disney. The original Oz is MGM. The Great and Powerful just came off to me as late 1800s as well as The Land of Oz itself with a hint of medieval.

Agree with everything you said about Wonderland.