• Advertisement

My 50 Favorite Musicals!!!

Webizoid

Alright, THIS IS MY 5,000 POST!! *fanfare*

Now let's begin, shall we?

50. The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

BestWhorehouse.jpg

Here's the synopsis from Wikipedia: "It is the late 1970s, a brothel that has been operating outside of fictional Gilbert, Texas (subbing for real locale La Grange) for more than a century. It is under the proprietorship of Miss Mona Stangley, having been left to her by the original owner. While taking care of her girls, she is also on good terms with the local sheriff, Ed Earl Dodd. When crusading television reporter Melvin P. Thorpe (based on real-life Houston news personality Marvin Zindler) decides to make the illegal activity an issue, political ramifications cause the place to be closed down."

Now I think that this is a great musical because it has a few famous songs from it, including Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" (in the movie only). It had an interesting story and is underrated in a way. My mom played Ruby Rae (I find it kind of funny that in the movie, Ruby Rae is black. We are the whitest people you would ever meet).

Titanic_musical_Broadway_poster.jpg

We all know the story of the Titanic, but not in the form of a MUSICAL! I'm sorry to the movie fans, but this is not the one with Jack and Rose, but it's about the various passengers and the three people who fight about whose fault it was that the Titanic hit the iceberg... Well, it's better than it sounds, I promise. Very touching. I was in it and I was the little boy, Jack Thayer.

48. Shrek the Musical

Shrekcovernew.jpg

Yeah, that's right. There's a musical about this too. But unlike some movie-gone-musicals, this one is pretty good. It's very funny and does the movie justice. Donkey and Faarquad steal the show. I was in a travelling version of this (it was a medley of it) and I was Faarquad/Pinocchio.

47. Oliver!

215px-OLIVER111.jpeg

Yeah, the poster isn't the most appealing thing you've ever seen. But it still is a classic. Of course, it isn't amazing, but it is pretty memorable. There's a movie of it starring Mark Lester. In case you didn't know, this is based off of the Charles Dickens book, "Oliver Twist". We did a production of this (imagine that) and I was too scared to go for Oliver. So I got an Orphan and The Bookseller Boy. That marked my first line in a production ever, "Books you ordered from the bookseller, sir."

46. Caroline, or Change

Caroline_or_Change_Musical_Logo.png

This is a very powerful musical about the following: "Caroline Thibodeaux is a black maid for a Jewish family, the Gellmans, spending her days in their dank basement doing the laundry for the pitiful sum of $30 a week. The Gellmans' young son, Noah, has a strong emotional connection to Caroline, a single parent who remains stoic amid the sweep of change she sees around her. Regardless of the circumstances, whether it is the death of a president, her daughter's growing activism and misunderstood dismissal of what she perceives to be Caroline's choice to remain a maid, her son's enlistment in Vietnam, a fight with a newly college-bound friend, or a spin with the dryer, Caroline remains unflappable."

That's as far as I can go without spoiling to much and making it sound incomplete. But yes, the use of inanimate objects as characters is pretty clever (the Dryer torments Caroline, the Radio narrates, etc.). And it shows the raw emotion of a black woman during the civil rights movement. And Tonya Pinkins was exceptional. Come on, if she can sing the 11 o' clock number of the show on the Tony Awards sick as a dog and STILL make it as good as she usually does, she gets an A in my book. I think she should have won the Tony for Best Leading Actress In a Musical".