• Advertisement

Aaron Springer

Hasfarr

On the topic of writers, I immediately thought of a discussion I had with other members on SBM.

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

I've seen a lot of hate against Aaron Springer in recent topics, especially for recent episodes like "Squidward's School for Grown-Ups" and "Curse of the Hex". In the more recent episodes he has written and story-boarded, we see Squidward get more abused than usual, more gross-out gags, SpongeBob's cheeks bulging out, and his nose deflating whenever he gets sad.

However, when I look back at his filmography, he's also written some great episodes too. Think "F.U.N.", "Band Geeks", and "Krusty Krab Training Video".

So, what I don't understand is how his writing style has changed in contrast to some of the previous episodes he's written. To me, it seems like his writing took a huge dive in Season 6 (the worst, IMO), with such episodes as "Penny Foolish" and "Boating Buddies". which showed some of the traits I've described above.

So, what do YOU think? Can he still write better episodes, or has his writing failed for good?

When I saw the thread on Casey Alexander and Zeus Cervas, I immediately was reminded of this thread.

So what do you guys think?

It's hard to say. Aaron's work on seasons 1-3 is amazing, no doubt, and his contributions to seasons 4 and 5 are amongst the stronger, more well-paced, even smarter episodes (which admittedly sometimes feel a bit cluttered with all of the Bob and Pat inanity) But around Season 6 (lest we forget the dreaded "toenail scene") things just slipped. Badly. Lately he's been up and down. "Drive Thru" was great, but episodes like "Barnacle Face" and "House Sittin' for Sandy" whilst nowhere as infuriatingly bad as, say, "Pineapple Fever", are pretty superfluous and quite dull. It's difficult to say why exactly his writing has changed. Maybe just time tooks it toll on him? Eventually almost everyone loses it. Maybe it's his writing partners? Maybe the creative direction of Vincent Waller just keeps him from reaching true potential anymore. Whatever it is, I'm still weirdly glad he's here on the show. He's really "part" of it in a big way, and I'm always curious to check out his latest episode.

• Like 1