• Advertisement

No Way Out

MMM

1. The Arrival

Mickey Polane opened his eyes. He heard a noise, and the ringing quickly began to annoy him. Dazed, he stumbled around his room, and realized the ringing sound belonged to his alarm clock. He stopped the alarm clock sound, and realized he would have to be quick with stopping the alarm clock if he wanted to keep it. He had gotten the clock as a birthday present a week previously, but had just set it up by himself then. After changing his clothes, he surfed down the stairs, and quickly stopped at the breakfast table. Orange juice and scrambled eggs. Hmm, not a bad breakfast. He began to glug down the glass of orange juice, quickly wiping the juice on his face off. He then shoveled the eggs down, and got up from his chair, and there was a sound at the door. Mickey sped to the door, opened it, but no one was in sight. Mickey questioned this at first, but began to frown when he realized that the Box Gang must have done this. They were four people that messed with the neighborhood. Mickey wasn't too bothered by this, because the Box Gang had been around since he was six years old. Mickey began to slump away, but someone, who Mickey couldn't see, someone from the Box Gang threw himself at Mickey popping out from the doorway, and almost crushed Mickey.

"HEY, WHAT GIVES?" Mickey yelled out. Before the Box Gang member could reply, Mickey's mom came to the scene. "Mickey, what's going o-," she started, but paused when she saw the Box Gang member. "Oh, of course it was you." She began pushing the Box Gang member out the door. "OUT! OUT! And don't ever come back!". Just then, the mail truck arrived. The delivery man came out, and deposited an envelope in the Polane mailbox. Mickey rushed out to get it, and when he got hold of the envelope, it was for him. "This is almost suspicious....I never get anything..." Mickey thought aloud. It took a while for him to pry open the envelope, but after partly ripping the envelope open, he found a blank piece of paper that only had "Hi." written on it. Mickey begin to get angry. "HI?! HI?! Who would waste their time sending this just to say hi?" Mickey ranted. "Aren't phones a thing? Aren't cars or airplanes a thing? Is that it? Are back we in the 1790s without even knowing it?". Mickey said to himself, "OK, Mickey. Calm down. This is probably something from that dirty Box Gang.". Then, he realized there was something behind "Hi" note. It was another piece of paper. "Oh, there is something worthwhile here." Mickey looked at the address the envelope came from and he realized it was from his best friend down the street, Thomas. He slowly ran to Thomas's house. He shuffled into the house, where he saw Thomas watching something on TV.

2. The Gift

Mickey watched the show too for a while, until he yelled out, "OH HELLO THERE.". Thomas jumped around in surprise, and saw Mickey standing right behind the couch. "Oh, you got my letter?" Thomas asked. Mickey responded, "Uh, I actually I haven't read it." "Well, you might want to do it now." Thomas slowly said. Mickey read aloud:

Mickey,
       I found something in my backyard that was addressed to you and me. Want to check out what it is?
                Thomas

Mickey looked at Thomas with a confused expression on his face, and said, "That was it? You could have called me or something." Embarrassed, Thomas and rubbed his arm, saying, "Oh, yeah. Oops." Mickey calmly said, "No, it's OK. Let's go to the backyard.". The two sped to the backyard, and the "something" appeared to be very wide. It was wrapped up, so Mickey had to violently rip the white paper up. "It's..a wagon." Thomas said. It was a wagon, just a normal wagon. Mickey said, "Are we supposed to drive this?". Thomas replied, "I think so." "Uh, how do you drive a wagon?" Mickey said, puzzled. Thomas plainly said, "I think you just maneuver the handle. That's what I would do." "Oh." Mickey said. 

The two began to push the wagon up the hill in Thomas's backyard, planning to drive down it the wagon. Once the wagon reached the top, the tired boys hopped into the wagon, and gave the front of the wagon a little push. The wagon immediately began going downhill at a fast rate. "WATCH OUT FOR THAT PRICKER BUSH!" a scared Mickey yelled out as Thomas took control of the wagon, barely dodging being poked by a pricker bush. The wagon zig-zagged left and right avoiding various things as Mickey and Thomas took turns controlling the wagon. At the bottom of the hill was a log, and when the wagon came in contact with it, the wagon went flying along with Mickey and Thomas.

Mickey and Thomas were unconscious for half a minute, and then suddenly woke up. "Alright, we still need to find out why the wagon is there." Mickey groggily said. "Yeah, what's up with that?" Thomas questioned. "I don't know, but it must be there for a good reason." Mickey said. "WAIT, there's a note in the wagon." Thomas excitedly said. "What? What does it say?" Mickey asked, jumping up and down.". Thomas read the note aloud:

Dear boys,
   Use this wagon well. You will need it in the near future.
        -Anonymous 

3. The Move

Thomas set down the note in the wagon, confused. He looked at Mickey, and asked, "Use it well? This thing has a significance?". Mickey said, "It can't be. It's just a red wagon.". Thomas added, "Yeah, I doesn't seem like it's worth anything." "Hey, let's ride it down the hill again!" Mickey suddenly yelped. "OK!" Thomas suddenly brightened up. They pushed it up the hill again, and they got in it. Before they could push it, Mickey rustled a bit to get in a more comfortable spot. This caused the wagon to jerk forth a bit, and this caused the wagon to suddenly speed down the hill, dodging several pricker bushes and trees. The log at the end was about to come up, and the two boys went flying again, along with the wagon.

Miraculously, Mickey and Thomas landed into the wagon, but the wagon was still running. Thomas finally spoke, "What the heck? What's going on?". Mickey replied, "I don't know, I don't know!" Thomas breathlessly said, "Hey, maybe if you rustle a little again, it will stop." Mickey said, "OK!", and rustled, but that made the wagon go faster. The two screamed, and suddenly saw cars and a sign that said "Woodplace Estates". Scared, Thomas screamed, "IT'S THAT SIGN! WE'RE OUT OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD!". Mickey begin panicking as a car zoomed right them. Thomas immediately started panicking as well. "Oh, look, we made it on the sidewalk." Thomas breathed. The two made a sigh of relief, until they realized they just went stumbled into the small river that's beneath a small hill next to the sidewalk. The wagon drove off the hill, and flew into the ocean.

Mickey and Thomas suddenly found themselves lying in the small river, and got up. Mickey said, "Aw, geez, we're soaked!" Mickey exclaimed. Thomas responded, "Yeah, man! This stinks. Besides, how are we gonna get home? Look at how busy the street is!". Mickey said, "I remember taking this path one time and getting back home really fast.", pointing to a small forest. Thomas said, "OK, let's go on the path." Mickey exclaimed, "All right!", and the two walked off into the small woods. 

4. The Woods

Soon after, though, Mickey and Thomas found themselves in a place they didn't recognize. "Are you sure we're in the right path?" Mickey uncomfortably asked. "I don't...know." Thomas quietly replied. Mickey's stomach suddenly roared. Mickey grumbled, "I'm hungry. There's nothing to eat, though.". Thomas said, "Hey, maybe I can climb a tree and see where we're at." Mickey looked hopeful and said, "Good idea!". With difficulty, Thomas stumbled up an oak tree and looked around. He could see the Woodplace Estates sign, but it was far in the distance. "I can see the sign!" Thomas yelled. Mickey excitedly said, "YES!". Thomas sadly replied, "But you can barely see it.". Mickey's face fell. Thomas climbed down and plainly said, "Let's just walk.".

Mickey looked at his watch and groaned, "Dude, we've been walking for an hour. Let's go back." Thomas said, "If only we know where we were going." Mickey turned around in shock and ranted, "WHAT? WHAT? WE'RE LOST? WE HAVE NO IDEA WHERE WE ARE?!?! WHY DID I HAVE TO HJFBSFHSDNSNDS-". Thomas just watched without a word, as Mickey kept yelling. "LOST! LOST! LOST IN THE WOODS UNTIL WE'RE 92 YEARS OLD AND SLOWLY DYING! THAT'S 81 YEARS OF WALKING AROUND WITHOUT A CLUE WHERE WE ARE! AHAHAHAAA!" Mickey screamed, until he planted his face in the dirt and began loudly crying. Thomas began wailing as well, but a noise began to be heard by Mickey and Thomas in the background. "WHAT WAS THAT?" Mickey yelped as he quickly lifted his face up. "IT'S A TRAIN STATION! A TRAIN STATION!" Thomas happily yelped back. The two ran in the direction of the noise, and found themselves at the Colvank City Train Station, standing at Platform 7. Then, a voice came over the speaker, and said, "PLATFORM SEVEN TRAIN #4 LEAVES IN TWO MINUTES AT 11:45.". Thomas happily shook Mickey and screamed, "WE CAN GET ON THAT TRAIN AND GET BACK SOMEWHERE NEAR HOME!". Mickey replied, "Yeah!". The two ran onto the train, barely escaping police officers who would catch them for boarding the train without a ticket. 

5. The Train

Mickey and Thomas stopped running and began breathing heavily. "Okay...do we know where this goes?" Thomas asked. Mickey facepalmed, and Thomas' face fell. Mickey hopefully said, "Maybe it's somewhere that we know how to get back home from." Thomas replied, "Right.". A gruff businessman told them, "Pick a seat and do whatever you're doing.". Mickey and Thomas shuffled away and sat down in an empty area. "There's no way out of this." Mickey said. Thomas replied, "Yeah, this probably doesn't go anywhere we know.". Mickey declared, "We need to find out where the train goes by looking at that sign up there.". Thomas looked at the sign quickly.

"NEW YORK?!" Thomas yelled. Mickey gasped, "What?". "We're in Georgia, and this train goes to New York!" Thomas sadly replied. "We just have to do this." Mickey said. The train rolled on, and on, and on, and on, and on. Mickey and Thomas were both bored until a sign that said "New York" caught their eye.