• Advertisement

The Room's Words

Ron

So, I've been in a bit of a writing slump for a while now and I thought I'd do a spin-off as a writing exercise to get myself out of it. The Room's Words is in fact a spin-off and will feature SpongeBob characters, but I'm going to use my own medium. Each chapter will feature only 3 average-sized paragraphs. Not too long, not too short, and I'm going to try and fit as much into them as possible. My goal here is to not have any filler here. I'm expecting this to be a miniseries, like my last lit (which was The Inside Job, if any of you remember it). So without further ado, The Room's Words: 

Chapter 1 - The Room’s Words

It was in the middle of the night when I first heard the voices. Soft, clean voices. They didn’t form words, but they felt emotional. The first few times I heard them speak, I thought it was the sleep talking. It wasn’t. Even when I was fully lucid and aware, they would talk, even shout to me. In the beginning it was frightening, and then it was annoying. I feared telling my parents because of how illogical the claim would sound. 

I predicted the voices would become clearer and I might be able to distinguish a word or two as they continued to speak, but they remained exactly the same, if not more persistent in getting my attention. It sounded like they were right by ear, whispering nonsense to drive me crazy. Eventually, I confided in my best friend, a crab named Eugene. Eugene was a fiscally conservative, smart-as-a-whip and dirt cheap person, but I enjoyed my time with him because he kept me on my toes. When I told him about the voices, he didn’t believe me, so I invited him to spend the night at my house. He said he no longer wanted to be my friend and had his mom pick him up, but the following week at school, he approached me and said he would help me solve the problem.

But what was the problem? How do you go about fixing something you know nothing about, something you cannot even visibly touch, or even see for that matter? It is a problem for one of the senses. Eugene suggested ear plugs, and I tried that for a night — the sounds penetrated the little muffs and I was again at square one. I was just going to tell my parents about the voices in my head (or in my room?) when everything changed — they formed words.