• Advertisement

The Lord of the Sponge

Urchees

Chapter 1: Carcasses

The apocalypse had begun. The town had been thrown into chaos, streets tarnished and houses ablaze. Downtown Bikini Bottom was completely destroyed. Huddling inside his pineapple, SpongeBob sat beside his bed inside his barricaded bedroom with his pet snail, Gary. The conch phone lay beside him. He was awaiting a call from Mr. Krabs, who would be arriving any minute to pick him up and take him to the treedome, the town's safe center. 

Minutes passed. Glancing at the phone constantly, SpongeBob gleefully snatched it up when it finally rang. 

"Hello?!" he said. 

"SpongeBob," Mr. Krabs said. He sounded exhausted. "I'm almost at your house. Come out the back." 

"On my way, sir." 

SpongeBob scooped Gary up and slowly started unstacking the various pieces of furniture he had used to block the door. When he finally reached the metal door, he realized how close he was to the outside world... the closest he'd been since it began, three days prior. What was out there? He cautiously opened the door and the stench nearly knocked him out. The rest of the pineapple was in shambles. He peaked out before proceeding down the staircase. There was an eerie silence within the home, backed up by the blurb of discord outside. 

He turned the corner and stopped dead in his tracks. There, gauging on a dead fish carcass (how had that poor soul gotten in?) was the "thing." The "thing" was blue, nearly as tall as the ceiling, with 3 yellow anglerfish-like lights hanging over its pupil-less white eyeballs. Two rows of ravenous, slimy teeth were housed in a protruding jaw. Its sapphire scales glistened and seemed to change colors, giving the illusion of decay.

It didn't seem to notice SpongeBob. He began to back away ever so slowly until he bumped into the wall. It was all over. The mutant looked up at SpongeBob and roared ferociously. It took off on all fours after SpongeBob, who in turn sped off as quickly as he could. The mutant smashed through the already dilapidated house after SpongeBob, who was squealing loudly as they went around in circles. 

Finally, SpongeBob reached the back door and ran out. There was no car awaiting him for rescue. The back lot was empty, only the burning buildings of Bikini Bottom to be seen on the horizon. 

"MR. KRRAAAAABBBS!?" screamed SpongeBob as the mutant smashed through the wall of the pineapple, crippling its structure and sending it pancaking downward. SpongeBob took off towards Squidward's house. Inevitably, the beast caught up with SpongeBob and took a swipe at him with his sliming claws. SpongeBob cried out in pain and tripped over his scrawny legs; Gary went flying, SpongeBob slammed into the ground. 

Out of nowhere, a boatmobile rammed into the beast, sending it flying a dozen feet away. The boatmobile immediately retracted, the doors opening. There stood Squidward. His tentacles reached out to grab the unconscious SpongeBob and shivering Gary.

"MOVE, EUGENE!" hollered Squidward. The beast came lumbering back, roaring with fierce anger. It swiped at the car, tearing off the roof. Mr. Krabs and Squidward both screamed, Squidward picking up and hitting the claws of the monster with a police baton. Several moments later, the engine of the boatmobile out-powered the mutant. They pulled away, bumping along the sandy off-road.

"How is he doin'?" called Mr. Krabs wearily.

"I don't know, he looks pale," Squidward reported. SpongeBob indeed had turned a light citrine color.

"Sandy'll know what ter do," sighed Krabs.

"If not, then what?" replied Squidward after a second of thinking.

Mr. Krabs didn't reply.

They finally reached the treedome. It's usually glass could not be seen, instead encased in thick melded metal.  The car pulled into the entrance. Squidward and Mr. Krabs put on their air helmets and placed one on SpongeBob. Upon entry, cold air stung their slippery skin. Sandy came running. 

"For the love of Texas, what's wrong with him!?" Sandy cried out. 

"We thought you'd be able to tell us," Squidward furrowed his brow. 

Sandy examined him, poking his wound and receiving little reaction from the KO'd sponge. "He's badly hurt. Sally?! Come here!" 

A honeydew-colored fish in a flower dress came running. Sandy instructed her to take SpongeBob into her house and tend to him until she returned. Upon Sally's departure into the tree, Sandy interviewed Squidward and Mr. Krabs. 

"I saw the... the thing take er swipe at 'im," said Mr. Krabs. 

"I didn't see anything, but it tried attacking us when we tried driving away," said Squidward. 

"His entire house is gone," added Mr. Krabs.

Sandy looked down gravely. "I'm not sure if the little guy'll pull through." 

"What's wrong with him?" said Squidward, showing care for once. 

"It looks like the swipe tore his body's ability to hold water. He's a sponge, he can't live unless he can retain the water his body requires," explained Sandy. "Unless I can stitch him back up, and I don't know if that'll even work, then he's..." Her sentence wavered off. 

Mr. Krabs stared up at the tree where SpongeBob was laying. 

"You guys can try again tomorrow for Patrick," said Sandy solemnly. "If you're up to it." 

She walked off, heading to check up on SpongeBob. 

Chapter 2: Fog

On the fifth day, things seemed to calm. Mr. Krabs and Squidward awoke in the early morning, preparing to go out and retrieve Patrick Star. They suck through the outside lawn of the Treedome, which was littered with sleeping, injured citizens. They exited, took off their air helmets, and boarded their roofless car.

Driving down the empty streets of Bikini Bottom was a depressing thing. Monsters roamed in the distance; they seemed to have multiplied quickly. Thankfully, telecommunications were still up and functional; Sandy monitored them back at the Treedome. The government yet to have any answers.

"Patrick isn't answering," Squidward said. "Are we still going to go?"

Mr. Krabs thought for a second. "Yes. We still have ter investigate."

They pulled up to Patrick's rock house; SpongeBob's collapsed pineapple could be seen in the distance. Squidward's house had graffiti all over it.

"Teenagers," Squidward muttered as he followed Mr. Krabs into Patrick's rock. Inside, a musty smell met them. The house appeared empty.

"Patrick?" whispered Mr. Krabs. "Patrick?"

"Yes?!" Patrick rose out of the sand. "What do you want?!"

Mr. Krabs jumped. "What were yer doing down there, boy?!"

"They speak in my head, Mr. Krabs!" cried Patrick.

"What do you mean?" Squidward said skeptically.

"I can hear them in my mind!" wailed Patrick as he began to sob at Mr. Krabs's feet.

Mr. Krabs looked at Squidward. "Get up, boy, we're taking you to Sandy's."

"Are there monsters there?" asked Patrick hopefully.

"No, no monsters, it's safe. Now, can we get going?" said Squidward quickly. "I hate being out here."

Patrick complied and they exited back to the car. They boarded their car and began the drive back to the Treedome, having encountered no trouble.

As they approached the Treedome, a thick fog began to roll in.

"Where'd this come from?" asked Krabs absentmindedly. Despite the Treedome in view, the thick fog rose quickly and eventually warped Mr. Krabs's view, until it was completely blocked out. Because there was no roof, the fog rolled down inside the car, blocking them out from each other.

"Squidward!" cried Patrick.

"I'm right here, Patrick," said Squidward. He laid a tentacle on Patrick. "Eugene, you there?"

"Aye," said Mr. Krabs.

"Just keep driving," said Squidward. "The Treedome's right there."

"I don't know where I'm going!" said Mr. Krabs. "It's all foggy. We'll just wait it out."

"That's a terrible idea," said Squidward.

"Nay, matey," said Krabs. "It's a great one."

Squidward rolled his eyes.

I saw that, a voice said.

"What?" said Squidward.

"What what?" asked Mr. Krabs.

"Did you just say something?"

"No? Are yer hearing voices, Mr. Squidward?" said Mr. Krabs, and laughed heartily. Patrick joined him nervously in laughter.

Indeed you are, the voice rasped into Squidward's ear. Squidward jumped, bumping into Patrick.

"Squidward, if you could kindly remain in your seat," said Patrick.

"Something is in here," said Squidward, not moving from Patrick.

"What do you mean?" Patrick instinctively moved.

"No, Patrick, stay here!" cried Squidward. He heard a car door open. "Patrick?"

"I'm leaving," said Patrick. "Going back to my house!"

"Patrick, get back here!" yelled Mr. Krabs. "Don't be an idiot for once in yer life!!!"

Another car door opened and Mr. Krabs scuttled after him.

"CAN YOU PLEASE COME BACK!?" Squidward shivered. There was no reply. How could they be so stupid? Squidward felt his way towards the drivers' seat and hopped in. The engine still hummed. He gently pressed on the gas; the boatmobile moved forward. Using his memory, he guided the boatmobile towards where he thought the treedome would be.

You're never going to reach your destination, the voice taunted. Can you hear me?

"Shut up," said Squidward bravely, albeit with a shaky voice. "Ha! I have!"

The Treedome came back into view, and Squidward floored it to keep from smashing into it. He got out and went towards the door.

They won't let you in, said the voice. Can you hear me now?

Squidward again ignored it. What was that voice?! He continued banging, desperately. There was no way they couldn't hear. Now he began screaming... every name he could conjure. Still nothing. Finally he gave up and sank against the door. What was happening? Where had Mr. Krabs and Patrick gone?

Can you hear me now?

"Yes," replied Squidward in defeat. "Yes, I can hear you."

Chapter 3: What Does That Mean For Us?

SpongeBob had woken up. Sandy had just emerged from the Tree after operating on SpongeBob when Nancy came running up. 

"Eugene and Squidward aren't back yet," she said worriedly. 

Sandy appeared puzzled. "Didn't they leave---"

"6 hours ago!" said Nancy. "What do we do?" 

Sandy thought. "Nothing we can do at the moment. We wait." 

"Wait for what?!" cried Nancy. "If they don't come back, what does that mean for us?! Can we never leave again!?"

"Get ahold of yourself. They're probably just... they probably ran into a minor problem getting Patrick. They'll be fine!" 

Outside the dome, Squidward awoke. He had fallen unconscious. His memory was foggy. He sat up in the boatmobile, discombobulated, and look around him. Then it came back to him... the voices. A figureless voice had been speaking to him, seemingly right in his ear. Startled, he slowly pressed the car forward. The fog began to clear and the Treedome came into view. Finally! 

He entered and put on a water helmet and spilled in. 

"Squidward!" exclaimed Sandy. 

"Where are Eugene and Patrick?" asked Sally and Nancy simultaneously. 

"I don't know," breathed Squidward. "It's so good to be back in here. I heard voices." 

"Voices?" everyone replied in unison.

Squidward nodded wearily. "Voices without bodies." 

Sandy took Squidward into the Tree and sat him down, examining him. 

"You seem healthy," she concluded. "What did you mean by voices?" 
"Voices, Sandy," he repeated. "More like... like a whisper." 

"What'd it say?" 

"That I never was going to come back here," he said.

"More specifically, Squidward," she said. "That's exactly what it said?"

"No? What does it matter?" he said. 

"What did it say?" said Sandy again. 

"It said, 'You're never going to get to your destination,'" said Squidward.

Sandy nodded. "I don't think it'd be a good idea to leave the dome again."

"But Mr. Krabs and Patrick are still out there," said Squidward. 

"We can't risk losing anyone else," said Sandy. 

"Squidward?" a voice croaked. 

Sandy and Squidward turned around towards the door. SpongeBob was hobbling in. Water dripped slightly from his stitches. 

"Oh, SpongeBob, go lay back down!" said Sandy. "You're gonna leak out!" 

"You look TERRIBLE, SpongeBob," said Squidward. 

"Right back at you, Squidward," said SpongeBob, lacking his usual cheeriness. SpongeBob hobbled to a corner and sat down. He looked like he was in constant pain. "What're you guys talking about?" 

"Uh," said Squidward, his eyes flashing quickly to Sandy. "Nothing." 

Sandy looked back at Squidward curiously and then back at SpongeBob and nodded in agreement. 

"Are you sure?" said SpongeBob. 

"Yes," said Squidward. 

After Sandy had walked SpongeBob back to bed, she came back furious. "Why would you lie to him!?" 

"I don't want to tire him out, he's sick!" 

"Oh, yeah, okay, since when have you cared about SpongeBob, Squidward?" said Sandy indignantly. 

Squidward paused, speechless. "I've always sort of cared about him..." 

"But that's not why you lied!" said Sandy. "You lied... you lied because you're scared." 

Squidward began to speak and Sandy cut him off. 

"You're scared because you don't know what you saw...," said she, her accent thickening for whatever reason. "You---" 

Nancy poked her head in. 

"What is it, Nancy, we're talking---," said Sandy. 

"Patrick just arrived," said Nancy. "He's wearing Mr. Krabs' clothes." 

Chapter 4: Faces

Patrick had stumbled into the Treedome wearing Mr. Krabs's clothing. He was incoherent and sweaty. 

"Patrick!" Nancy cried. "What happened?"

"The... the bugs," he said. 

"Patrick," Sandy said, walking up with Squidward trailing behind her. "Let's go inside." 

"THE BUGS!" screamed Patrick. He faceplanted forward. He looked upward. "LOOK, THE BUGS!" 

Everyone turned around to see figures walking toward the Treedome. Because of the thick fog, only their silhouettes could be seen, but there had to be thousands of them. They stumbled like zombies, but flung their arms like normal human beings. 

"What are those?" gasped Squidward. 

"I don't know... but I think we should get inside," said Sandy. 

One of the figures reached the glass and pressed their face against it. Everyone gasped... it was Mr. Krabs. He wore Patrick's shorts and his face was oozing with green slime. He looked dead! 

More and more figures reached the glass... they wore swapped clothes and had green oozing out of their faces. They were townspeople. They banged on the Treedome. The longer everyone stood there, the more aggravated the faces became. 

Then a crack appeared. And another. 

"They're breaking through, Sandy," said Sally. 

"Let's go inside," said Sandy. Everyone ran inside the Treedome just as the glass broke and water washed in.