Play in Pictionary Saturday at 7pm EST!

• Advertisement

Sign in to follow this  
jjsthekid

208a. Snooze You Lose

Episode Rating  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Snoozes: Aw, poor guy was just sleepy.
    • 4/5 Snoozes: Hey, that's great!
    • 3/5 Snoozes: We gotta keep it quiet!
    • 2/5 Snoozes: Will you two psychopaths keep it down!?
    • 1/5 Snoozes: Why can't I get to sleep?

jwWyHuc.png  

Premieres: 

Saturday, March 4th @ 10:00am ET/PT

Encores:

N/A

Plot:

Squidward is so tired that SpongeBob and Patrick are unable to wake him up, but they do not want him to miss his big audition.

Guest Star: J.K. Simmons

Clips:

1.) https://www.yahoo.com/tv/spongebob-squarepants-first-look-j-k-simmons-as-a-very-cranky-conductor-170039407.html

This episode is airing on my birthday, so that's cool.

Edited by jjsthekid

Crap episode. I thought every single gag was either pointless, unfunny or cringeworthy. Special mention goes to the mutant Squidward clone, which was really random and honestly added nothing to the episode whatsoever. The first half was a complete waste of time, with out of character buffoonery and lots of padding. The second half wasn't any better, and it was yet another "SpongeBob and Patrick mess up something for Squidward" plot (okay, not as bad as past ones, and yes, they did try to help him...but they did annoy him when he was trying to sleep later, and Squidward didn't do anything beforehand to deserve to fail the audition, yes, you can say it was his fault, but he just wanted control of his body back; he had no clue what was going on *shrug*), which I thought we moved on from. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for SpongeBob and Patrick being so annoying (seriously, did the S6/S7 characterizations of them return for 11 minutes? Because that's what it felt like.). None of their antics were amusing to me, not even when controlling Squid's body. That was my main issue with the episode: It was not interesting or entertaining in the slightest. The whole "a character controls another's body" plot has been done better in episodes like "Plankton!" and "Slimy Dancing". The only positive I'll give it is that it was nice hearing Ford's voice again, but that's about it. Very disappointed. 

Grade: D 

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 3

I'll say this--the episode had some pretty funny facial expressions. Annnnnd.... that's about it. The rest of it was just a poorly written gross-out episode. I don't mind gross-out humor, but I like it to have more purpose than "Ha ha! Farts and boogers!" so it's not just crammed in there for the sake of having something gross.

Plotwise, jjs pretty much hit the nail on the head. We've seen this before. Plankton!, Slimy Dancing, Someone's in the Kitchen With Sandy, I <3 Dancing, Squidtastic Voyage... SpongeBob has taken the premise of somebody taking control of another character's body and beaten it into the ground. I want to put out a suggestion or two for what they could have done to improve the episode, but when you've gone through the same plot device at least five times, it's tough to find any new ground to cover. 

Real disappointing Season 10 entry. 1/10

• Like 4

I wasn't excepting much in this episode. I am normally not a fan of episodes where SpongeBob and Patrick are involved with Squidward due to how much negative reception certain episodes like Celaphod Lodge and That Sinking Feeling. Kaz wrote the episode, but to my surprise, it was actually enjoyable. The facial expressions were wackier than usual (I'm sure Adam Paloian storyboarded both episodes), and they were so off-model that it reminded of seasons 2-3 (and Fear of a Krabby Patty) that were boarded by CH Greenblatt (He love to draw exaggerated faces) and the off-modelness reminded me of Nick Edwards episodes on Uncle Grandpa. I still wasn't too impressed what SpongeBob and Patrick did to Squidward. It was way too creepy and awkward, even though it did ended up being amused when they controlled him and succeeding in the clarinet. Of Course, when Squidward woke up, he played the clarinet so badly that we see live-action footages of things falling off and it was hilarious. All in all, while it's really awkward, it's was kinda good. Not the best thing from Kaz, but definitely not his worst episode. 6/10

Edited by FAS

It's literally like Kaz just went out and decided to copy one of those several dozen S6-S8 episodes where Spongebob/Patrick get in the way of one of Squidward's personal goals. I felt bad for Squidward when he couldn't sleep and wound up sleeping on that yellow asshole. And then Spongebob seems to like being drooled on? o.oThey don't even have Sandy appear for the out of nowhere mutant Squid creation and then we have the two idiots stumble around town inside Squidward randomly causing fish to explode. (Maybe the only decent gag in 11 minutes, even though it's been used before). Of course they then play clarinet better even while slamming and squishing a brain around because the plot demands Squidward's life be full of cruel irony. The live action images when Squidward starts to play didn't feel like an earned joke either, just using another technique from the younger sharper days. It's too bad Jjs' birthday didn't fall on March 11th this year.

• Like 4

It was a pretty okay episode, though I disagree with everyone saying it was a "SpongeBob and Patrick mess up things for Squidward" plot. If you watch the beginning, Squidward's insomnia had been a recurring problem and it was caused by his nerves about his audition, not because SpongeBob and Patrick were being annoying. Also, SpongeBob's advice to Squidward was what helped him fall asleep in the first place. SpongeBob and Patrick as a matter of fact didn't even mess up his audition. J. Simmons was clearly impressed by Squidward's playing while SpongeBob was controlling him. After Squidward woke up and gained control of himself, he went back to being a bad clarinet player. So SpongeBob and Patrick didn't do anything wrong in this episode. Squidward's failure was entirely his fault.

I also liked that the explosion gag was back. Done by the fish talking on her smartphone (which apparently exist in Bikini Bottom now), and I found the Squidward clone thing to be funny in a creepy way.

• Like 4

Unpopular opinion time, I agree with NegiSpongie. Not the BEST episode Kaz has ever written, but by no means the worst. It's HARD to write great episodes all the time, especially if you've been DOING it for the SAME show for what will be eighteen years this May! The episode itself didn't seem THAT gross (as compared to some OTHER "Spongebob Squarepants" episodes that are FAR grosser!) ROFL on the whole fish exploding thing, and it's kind of a nice touch that they're using real life scenes to PUNCTUATE certain gags again! :lol: J.K. Simmons in his guest role, DEFINITELY helped boost this episode up! I'd give it an 88/100, only because I felt that Squidward's body being controlled by Spongebob and Patrick, could've been funnier and executed better.

I was really expecting something bad about this episode and it turned out to be better than I expected. I still can't say this is a good episode. I'll say this. The pacing felt so much better than Krusty Katering, tho I thought that episode was a bit better. And monster Squidward part was so random it was funny. SpongeBob and Patrick were at least helpful for Squidward to get to the audition, while Squidward was just asleep. Rest is just uhhhhh, lame. We've definitely seen "lets take control of someone's body" stories on this show before, heck even they were so much more fun episodes. This episode didn't feel anything new. Even insomnia plot was done in inSPONGEiac, which was so much better than this. The gags were pretty dull for me. Same old SpongeBob and Patrick antics we've seen and it was pretty annoying at times. I find it irritating how Squidward manages to be such a good clarinet player when he's in these conditions but when Squidward is normal, he sucks at playing clarinet. I get he's supposed to be untalented but that's just not funny and it's kind of sad. I feel like the episode could have been better if this was kin d of a "Whiplash" parody of J.K. Simmon's character in this episode teaching Squidward how to be a good clarinet player. Now that sounds like a good and interesting premise. Unfourtunately this episode let me down. It still wasn't so bad but I expected much better from Kaz. I suppose he's just running out of creativity and humor because he has been a writer of cartoons for so long. I hope next episode by him will be better. This is by far his worst work.

Grade: C

gave me a feel of the weirdness of S6 but it wasn't gross or anything so it didn't completely get in the way. smart bus driver too

lmao what's with that lady randomly blowing up when spongebob and patrick inside squid just bumped her away and sb/pat beating up squidward inside himself

idk man, the ep was just there... but wasn't all bad, provided some weird/funny moments sometimes

I thought it would go in the direction where they would actually go to the freak show inside Squidward, could have possibly been better.

• Like 2

This episode used the wackiness to great effect! Very enjoyable and not gross at all! Another Kaz masterpiece from 9b/10!

Image result for spongebob snooze you lose

The only complaint I have is that when they referenced Mahler's 5th symphony towards the end, the clip they played was of something completely different. I would've put a part of the adagietto or the very end of the finale. Other than that, such an amazing and unwacky expressions. Way better than wacky season 11 trash like Karen's Virus and The Grill is Gone.