• Advertisement

Wumbo Ranks Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Charts! (Ahhh, the deed is done.)

Wumbo

The Bottom:

Spoiler

71. "Die Young" - Ke$ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOubzHCUt48

Well, uh, this is awkward. If you're ready to debunk me based on my own statements, go back and read them again. Ke$ha is a great artist...with the right material. As far as I can tell, this is about as meaningless a party song as they come.

Young hunks, taking shots
Stripping down to dirty socks
Music up, gettin' hot
Kiss me, give me all you've got

Meeeh. (Also, why do they have to be dirty socks? Eeeewwww.)

Also, she raps. I think we're all familiar with my opinion of Ke$ha + rapping. Who's next up?

Spoiler

72. "Home" - Phillip Phillips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoRkntoHkIE

Ugh, something just snapped inside of me and I can't stand this song anymore. I just don't think it leads well into what I guess is supposed to be the big moment of the song where we forget about lyrics and just start going "oooh" and "aaaah". Did I mention that part is why they made "phoning it in" an expression?

If you want a good-old-fashioned, down-home, pick-me-up song from this guy, for God's sake, just listen to "Gone, Gone, Gone".

Spoiler

73. "I Need Your Love" - Calvin Harris ft. Ellie Goulding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtKZKl7Bgu0

I need your love
I need your time
When everything's wrong
You make it right

boring.gif

BORING.

No matter how much I try to stick up for this genre, it has its fair share of duds, and this is no doubt one of them. This song is so... nothing. I honestly think no one would be unhappy if "I Need Your Love" stopped existing. And that's a shame, because Ellie Goulding is a fiery little powerhouse, but this song sucked all the life out of her.

Spoiler

74. "Boys 'Round Here" - Blake Shelton ft. Pistol Annies & Friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXAgv665J14

Red red red red red red red red redneck

Yeah the boys 'round here
Drinking that ice cold beer
Talkin' 'bout girls, talkin' 'bout trucks

Chew tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco, spit

Aw heck
Red red red red red red red red red red redneck

Screw this song so hard. With a wooden spoon. Up the ass.

Spoiler

75. "Hold On, We're Going Home" - Drake ft. Majid Jordan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxgqpCdOKak

Yeah, this song definitely doesn't do it for me anymore. Especially when there's so many songs in the top half that conveyed emotion this year much better than this. Hold on, I'm going to bed.

Spoiler

76. "#Beautiful" - Mariah Carey ft. Miguel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe1wtkkt9-E

If you need a song to illustrate why we don't need Mariah Carey anymore, this one will do just fine. #irrelevance!

Spoiler

77. "Body Party" - Ciara

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9rSBcoX9ak

My body is your party, baby
Nobody's invited but you baby
I can do it slow now, tell me what you want
Baby put your phone down, you should turn it off

Truly, lyrics that make up a happy, sexually satisfied couple.

I don't feel like this song tries at all, and goddamnit, of all topics, a song about sex and/or love needs to try. (Note: look for examples of this in the future.)

Spoiler

78. "Feel This Moment" - Pitbull ft. Christina Aguilera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jlI4uzZGjU

Oh, quelle coincidence! We were just talking about not trying! If there's any two artists who know how not to try, it's bar none, these two.

This song is atrocious. The worst part is that damned reworking of a-ha's "Take On Me". I don't even know if Pitbull knows where it came from, or if it was the first sample he came across and used it, because remember, not trying! This song is what's wrong with society.

Spoiler

79. "Safe and Sound" - Capital Cities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47dtFZ8CFo8

Say this about "Feel This Moment" though: for all its faults, at least it isn't the sloggiest, most painfully boring song on the chart. I'd be referring to this song if there wasn't more boredom to come. But damn, this sucks. "I could lift you up"? Not with this, you can't.

Spoiler

80. "Pour it Up" - Rihanna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehcVomMexkY

This is the type of video that plays better with the sound muted.

• Like 2

I will distribute my likes in due time, but I really dig your idea here Wumbo. Tempted to rehash it, but I'm going to at least do more than just a Top/Bottom 10 system as well when it comes to my year end stuff. Keep up the good work, despite me disagreeing with some of your positions obviously. :P

Thanks, and feel free to voice those disagreements, Clappy! I enjoy a good debatin'.

So I finally was able to show you how bad of a song "Hold On We're Going Home" truly was, huh? :smirk:

Not "bad" so much as "boring", but yeah, you made your point. :P

Ok well without being too nitpicky I'll pick a few:

-I lurked your blog spot the other day and noticed how a few of those opinions have changed with this list.  I thought you at first favored "Demons" over "Counting Stars"?  Or maybe that has changed in a few weeks? :P

-I'm seeing more 2012 stuff up higher on this list than 2013. :smirk:

-Is EDM starting to become noticeably dull to you too?  Because I thought you liked it during our past debates, but I'm seeing more of it as we reach the bottoms.  

-I thought you liked Summertime Sadness at first?  I've always hated that remix and reviewed it earlier showing how bad it is as a EDM song.  Glad to see you've changed on that.

-I actually think Die Young is Ke$ha's best radio single.  It kinda reminds me of dumb Katy Perry songs and how enjoyable those were like "Last Friday Night", "Hot N Cold", to name a few.  Very fun pop song.

-I cringed when I saw you say something positive about "The Other Side".  That song is no different from other Jason DeRulo songs and it's pretty damn abysmal like most songs of his.  Loathe it and I can't believe we are still letting JJJAAAYYSSSOONNN DDEERRUULLOO make music.

-Maybe it's because I like indie pop, but Safe and Sound is really not that bad of a song.  I actually it's quite catchy and quite good.  Easy to listen to and the production is damn perfect.  It's a finalist for my best list and Capital Cities hopefully make it past one hit wonderdom because they have tons of good songs that I heard live when I saw them.

-You've made me contradict myself in my previous review of Demons.  I completely forgot that another song is also in the Billboard Top 10 right now that is even more boring and worse than both Demons and Say Something (but not by much) that is on your Bottom Half.  I'm pretty sure it's going to be in my Bottom 10 of 2013 when I get to it.

-Oh and finally (for now), I can't believe you said Bieber saves #thatPOWER.  He does absolutely nothing to make that song redeemable and re-watching that music video, I think he has no idea what he is even doing there to begin with.   That song is absolutely atrocious and I think it's even worse than Scream and Shout.  I wasn't expecting it to make the Year End list by Billboard, but it absolutely changes everything on my upcoming list.  

• Like 3

Now this is what I'm talking about.

-I lurked your blog spot the other day and noticed how a few of those opinions have changed with this list.  I thought you at first favored "Demons" over "Counting Stars"?  Or maybe that has changed in a few weeks? :P

Overall, even though I had some problems with "Counting Stars"' lyrics, I always thought it was an immensely better production than "Demons". And that's always put it above "Demons" for me, even though it seemed kind of slanted in the two blog posts. (Btw, yay you're reading my blog!)

-I'm seeing more 2012 stuff up higher on this list than 2013. :smirk:

Hey hey hey, there's plenty of 2012 shit in the bottom half too. But... yeah, maybe my opinion of 2012 has softened. Remember that it still gave us "Birthday Cake" though, which is worse than anything on this list.

-Is EDM starting to become noticeably dull to you too?  Because I thought you liked it during our past debates, but I'm seeing more of it as we reach the bottoms.

EDM's off and on for me. There are definitely instances where EDM just bores me to tears (re: previous post), but I do honestly think it's still a worthwhile genre.

Spoiler

Tomorrow, EDM will reign again.

-I thought you liked Summertime Sadness at first?  I've always hated that remix and reviewed it earlier showing how bad it is as a EDM song.  Glad to see you've changed on that.

I like the original song. Loathe the remix. I think when I reviewed it before, I reviewed the original.

-I actually think Die Young is Ke$ha's best radio single.  It kinda reminds me of dumb Katy Perry songs and how enjoyable those were like "Last Friday Night", "Hot N Cold", to name a few.  Very fun pop song.

Well I didn't like "Last Friday Night" either so :P 

-I cringed when I saw you say something positive about "The Other Side".  That song is no different from other Jason DeRulo songs and it's pretty damn abysmal like most songs of his.  Loathe it and I can't believe we are still letting JJJAAAYYSSSOONNN DDEERRUULLOO make music.

I dunno, I think there's something here that wasn't there before with Jason Derulo. The chorus is a little grating when he starts voice-cracking, but other than that, I honestly don't see anything wrong with it.

-Maybe it's because I like indie pop, but Safe and Sound is really not that bad of a song.  I actually it's quite catchy and quite good.  Easy to listen to and the production is damn perfect.  It's a finalist for my best list and Capital Cities hopefully make it past one hit wonderdom because they have tons of good songs that I heard live when I saw them.

Hey, I enjoy me some indie too, but "Safe and Sound" is the "Hold On, We're Going Home" of indie. I do enjoy "Kangaroo Court", though, and hope it makes it big. 

-You've made me contradict myself in my previous review of Demons.  I completely forgot that another song is also in the Billboard Top 10 right now that is even more boring and worse than both Demons and Say Something (but not by much) that is on your Bottom Half.  I'm pretty sure it's going to be in my Bottom 10 of 2013 when I get to it.

Spoiler

But you only need the light when it's burning low... :P

Again, good lyrics can't save a sloggy production.

-Oh and finally (for now), I can't believe you said Bieber saves #thatPOWER.  He does absolutely nothing to make that song redeemable and re-watching that music video, I think he has no idea what he is even doing there to begin with.   That song is absolutely atrocious and I think it's even worse than Scream and Shout.  I wasn't expecting it to make the Year End list by Billboard, but it absolutely changes everything on my upcoming list.

Well, it's not like he's excellent, but he's definitely better than Britney Spears is on "Scream & Shout". I'll deal with that later, but for now, remember when Britney had personality? After that song, I sure don't.

Since THIS is what you're talking about.

-Hmm I don't see Come & Get It yet.  Maybe I've made you change your stance on that too? :smirk:

-While I was sick of the EDM onslaught we got this year, there was one song that I didn't think was all that bad on the year end charts and hopefully the song I'm thinking about it is on the right side of the charts and I'll probably say something about it myself when I get to those lists (I'm aiming to start tomorrow or New Year's Eve with revealing EVERYTHING)

-I do notice one song that hasn't been posted yet that I remember you giving a 10/10 to at first, then seeing you change your stance on your blog, and I have a feeling will be in the bottom (same goes for Roar which isn't the song I'm talking about, but I think MANY of us have changed our stance on Roar :P) .

-Wherever Blurred Lines ends up (unless I missed it), I'm just going to say that it should probably be ranked in the middle of this 100 list of yours because it truly isn't awful, but it truly isn't anything great.  I think in due time, Blurred Lines will end up being that song we all laugh about it being number one for 12 weeks when it wasn't all that special.  That doesn't mean it's a bad song, it's just unbelievably stupid. xP

-Also since I don't see Ariana Grande yet, I just want to point out something that I'm going to emphasize when I get to my best list.  Sorry for jumping ahead here.  Ariana is so unbelievably far talented compared to her peers around her age group (I'm looking at you you three Disney child stars: Miley, Demi, and Selena) that it's not even fair.  The fact that she hasn't had her second hit yet is a crime. 

-Back to what's currently posted though, Feel This Moment really isn't that bad.  It's not good, but I don't think it's that loathesome.  I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't mind the "Take on Me" sampling despite how much I agree that it serves no purpose.  It's incredibly stupid yes, but it's Pitbull.  What do you expect?  I just think it's better than a lot of Pitbull's other songs out there, but it's definitely not his best.

Since replying to the other points at this point would reveal far too much, I'll just respond to this one:

-Back to what's currently posted though, Feel This Moment really isn't that bad.  It's not good, but I don't think it's that loathesome.  I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't mind the "Take on Me" sampling despite how much I agree that it serves no purpose.  It's incredibly stupid yes, but it's Pitbull.  What do you expect?  I just think it's better than a lot of Pitbull's other songs out there, but it's definitely not his best.

I'm just so tired of Pitbull. I just want him to go away. That's part of why he's down so far: I've grown weary of him.

Hey I like Fuckin Problems its pretty catchy and they have some decent verses on it

There are a few decent lyrics in there, but I don't know. It just doesn't do it for me. I can see why people would like it, though.

The Top:

Spoiler

20. "It's Time" - Imagine Dragons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sENM2wA_FTg

Yeah, give them commodities a rain-check. Fuck yeah. You know, it really doesn't matter what Reynolds sings here. I believe it, just because of his voice. He's definitely the best part of Imagine Dragons, but the production here is very nice too, with the harmonized vocals in the choruses, that ever-present pounding drum, and that... mandolin, I'm guessing?... riff at the beginning. It's a masterpiece.

Spoiler

19. "Don't You Worry Child" - Swedish House Mafia ft. John Martin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y6smkh6c-0

Don't you worry children, I told Clappy EDM wouldn't be banished to the bottom half forever. EDM needs a massive production in order to sound good, and I think this production is massive enough to qualify as good. Maybe it's just because it sounds live in the video, but I really think there's an energy here that is missing from the EDM songs in the bottom half.

Spoiler

18. "The Way" - Ariana Grande ft. Mac Miller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sV0S8qWSy0

I love "The Way", and I'm so glad there's at least one teen star who's evolving into a serious artist. I already said that "#Beautiful" was a perfect example of a song to illustrate why we don't need Mariah Carey anymore, but hell, this song works just as well, for the opposite reason. If you asked me which teen star of today would evolve into this generation's Mariah Carey, my first thought would not have been Ariana Grande. But here we are.

Spoiler

17. "I Love It" - Icona Pop ft. Charli XCX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxxajLWwzqY

I might get some flak for this choice, but you know what? I DON'T CARE, I LOVE IT!

This song is fucking awesome. It brought a burst of raw yet fun energy to the pop charts. "You're from the Seventies, but I'm a Nineties bitch", is probably one of the fiercest lyrics of 2013 to come from a silly pop song. Crashing a car into a bridge never sounded so appealing.

Spoiler

16. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

What, what, what, what? Yeah, I still love this song after a year. And apparently, so did the American public, because it was the #1 song of this year. And what better song to introduce a change in pop music than this one, released from an artist that started on an independent label, directly contrasting the typical topics in rap music, all while treading the line between goofy and introspective? No song, I tell you. No song. So glad this was the #1 song.

Spoiler

15. "Power Trip" - J. Cole ft. Miguel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AjD7nKiUQ4

I love J. Cole, and if his single "Crooked Smile" made it on the year-end chart, there's no doubt in my mind it would make my Top 10. But let's focus on this one. This is a lot like "Bad", in the sense that it doesn't sound like a particularly healthy, or unrequited love. But what separates the two songs are that the lyrics here are simply awesome.

She got me up all night, all I'm singin' is love songs
She got me up all night, constant drinkin' and love songs

Love is a drug, like the strongest stuff ever
And, fuck it I'm on one, you feel me?

For Pete's sake, homie pull it together
Just fuck her one time and be through it forever

Actually, this is more like Maroon 5's "One More Night", if Adam Levine wasn't an idiot. A one night stand that means something a little more to J. Cole. And it actually works, unlike "One More Night". We need more rappers like J. Cole.

Spoiler

14. "When I Was Your Man" - Bruno Mars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekzHIouo8Q4

Bruno Mars finally shows up! Man, Unorthodox Jukebox is such a step up from Doo Wops and Hooligans that it's not even funny. This song is just heartbreaking, and I feel for Bruno Mars like I never have before. I think what makes this song really work is that, unlike "Grenade", he blames himself rather than making this woman out to be Satan incarnate. Bruno really puts all his soul in this song, and he just sounds like the saddest guy in the world. Don't worry, he cheers up later. But yeah, love this song and the album it comes off of.

Spoiler

13. "Sweet Nothing" - Calvin Harris ft. Florence Welch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ozSeGw-fY

Unlike "I Need Your Love", Florence Welch doesn't sound inhibited by this song. Sure, she's hella more interesting on her Florence + the Machine work, but that stuff never charts, so just forget about it. When EDM artists can snag a singer like this, it's pure magic. And let's be honest: Florence steals the show here. While I like the instrumental after the chorus, it's the chorus that makes this shine. God damn, this woman. Hopefully there's more chart success in your future.

Spoiler

12. "Treasure" - Bruno Mars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPvuNsRccVw

Forget anything I said about this song before. I don't think Bruno's ever put this much energy into one of his songs (well, there is that one other song, but shhh.) Like I said, when Bruno's sad, he's the saddest person in the world. But when he's happy, he's just a firecracker of energy. Love it, love it, love it.

Spoiler

11. "Clarity" - Zedd ft. Foxes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxxstCcJlsc

And just as quickly as we said hello to good EDM music of 2013, we say goodbye with this song. As far as EDM goes, this is about as emotionally powerful as it gets. Again, it's the singer that achieves this. So I guess when I say I like EDM, most of the time I'm really saying I like the singers they recruit. not that the production is a loss. But Foxes is just amazing in this.

-While I was sick of the EDM onslaught we got this year, there was one song that I didn't think was all that bad on the year end charts and hopefully the song I'm thinking about it is on the right side of the charts and I'll probably say something about it myself when I get to those lists (I'm aiming to start tomorrow or New Year's Eve with revealing EVERYTHING)

And this is the song I was talking about:

Spoiler

11. "Clarity" - Zedd ft. Foxes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxxstCcJlsc

And just as quickly as we said hello to good EDM music of 2013, we say goodbye with this song. As far as EDM goes, this is about as emotionally powerful as it gets. Again, it's the singer that achieves this. So I guess when I say I like EDM, most of the time I'm really saying I like the singers they recruit. not that the production is a loss. But Foxes is just amazing in this.

Clarity is more about Foxes than Zedd.  She sells this song so damn good that the production from Zedd works very well as accompanyment.  Too bad the chorus pretty much sucks.

"If our love's insanity, why are you my clarity?"

Really can't stand that lyric because it makes little to no sense.  I get what she is trying to say, but how is he your clarity when their love is insane?  Two people make love so each has to be held responsible for the insanity.  Just gah.  The rest of the lyrics are decent-ish, but the chorus is what eliminated Clarity from making my Top 10.  Still my favorite EDM song of 2013 though which isn't saying much since I disliked too many of the songs.

• Like 1

Clarity is my favorite song of the year for sure. Zedd and Foxes are equally extraordinary in this song. The beat in Clarity actually sounds like it could be an orchestral piece in my opinion, but Foxes' voice is just the cherry on the cake. She needs to be way more popular out of Clarity, because I have a good feeling that's going to be the only song she'll be known from.

• Like 1

I still don't really know why you have such a problem with that lyric, Clappy. It makes perfect sense to me in the context of two confused lovers.

Also, I dared, Spanky Ham, I dared.

The Bottom:

Spoiler

81. "I'm Different" - 2 Chainz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2QKlmMT8II

Sure you are, 2 Chainz. Sure you are.

Spoiler

82. "Love Me" - Lil Wayne ft. Drake & Future

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY44zvhWhp4

Another generic rap song that does absolutely nothing for me.

I could give a fuck about no hater, long as my bitches love me

How romantic.

And these hoes love me like Satan

Just... what?

Also, any song with Future is just kryptonite to my ears. There.

Spoiler

83. "Daylight" - Maroon 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg9Urm2_7xQ

After the two excruciating Maroon 5 songs comes the boring one. My God, is it boring. Like, there's nothing interesting about this song. Easy listening stations would turn their nose up at this. I'm honestly falling asleep just writing about how boring of a song this is.

Spoiler

84. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4

I'm sorry Clappy. I know you like this song, but this song and this band do absolutely nothing for me. In addition to the stupid-as-fuck song title, this band is like Mumford & Sons on a heavy dose of sleep medication. What's the point of this song, anyway? If it's supposed to be romantic, then it fails, because this useless production makes me feel nothing. If it's supposed to be pretentious hipster indie shit, then it still fails, because it's not even interesting. "Ho Hum", more likely.

Spoiler

85. "Sail" - AWOLNATION

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaAWdljhD5o

God smite this stupid song. If they were trying to make it unpleasant to listen to, then bloody well done. I'm so sick of everyone raving over this song when it's garbage.

Spoiler

86. "Wrecking Ball" - Miley Cyrus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My2FRPA3Gf8

I may have overstated this song. Maybe. Just a little.

Yeah, I guess I was just reeling off of "We Can't Stop" pain, but this song is almost as painful. Miley still can't sing, her songs still suck, and I'm sorry I ever said I liked this.

Spoiler

87. "Holy Grail" - Jay-Z ft. Justin Timberlake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YcIgow6TDk

It really, really pains me to put two talented artists below Miley Cyrus of all people, but this song just kept on going down a downhill slope for me and never recovered. It's just so... whiny, and this song is partly from a guy who made "Cry Me a River". Well, take your own advice Justin, and cry me a river. I usually like over-the-top, but this just pisses me off. See, it's about fame, and...

You get the air out my lungs whenever you need it
And you take the blade right out my heart just so you can watch me bleeding

Oh, get fucked. You're one of the most successful artists of all time. Nobody wants to hear this from you. Jay-Z comes off as false as well.

Caught up in all these lights and cameras
But look what that shit did to Hammer

Yeah, okay Jay-Z. You're definitely going down the bankruptcy route of MC Hammer. Better become a minister.

Fuck this song. What a terrible lead-off single.

Spoiler

88. "Cruise" - Florida Georgia Line ft. Nelly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmZ9xRO7M9M

If this song had any relevance to begin with (and it didn't), it was all lost when Nelly hopped on to remix the track. All this song did was horribly genericize both country music and rap music. Say what you will about "Accidental Racist", at least you can tell where the country ends and the rap begins. This is just pop music sludge.

Also, I'd like to think I have a high tolerance for country singers' voices by now, but this guy is atrocious. Who invited Cletus Spuckler to start a singing career?

Spoiler

89. "Roar" - Katy Perry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CevxZvSJLk8

Katy Perry is a hack, and not a good one at that. This song is so clumsy, with its clichéd metaphors, production eerily similar to "Brave", a song I didn't like in the first place, and random Muhammad Ali and Survivor quotes. By the way, I typed in "eye" on YouTube to find the Survivor video, and I got "eye of the tiger katy perry" as one of the top results. Gag me.

Spoiler

90. "Stay" - Rihanna ft. Mikky Ekko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF8BRvqGCNs

Once again, an annoying song and an atrocious song still win over a flat boring song from the same artist. Is there even anything to say about this? The piano stays exactly the same through the whole freakin' song, Rihanna tries to get out of a safe range vocally maybe once in the song, and Mikky Ekko sounds like he's still going through puberty but trying to hide it. Boring, boring, excruciatingly boring. And it only gets worse with the last 10 songs.

Eh I don't blame you for hating on Ho Hey but tbh I'm one of the few people who find Mumford & Sons incredibly overrated. However, I think Ho Hey is incredibly catchy plus I have a little bit of novelty bias since I've seen them before they were famous. :P

I'm just glad you finally saw the light when it comes to Wrecking Ball. :smirk:

• Like 1