• Advertisement

Season 5 Discussion

Sabre

Season 5 is definitely my least favorite season.

I can only name a handful of episodes I truly care about. The rest are either meh or crap.

I can name four:

New Digs

Krabs a la Mode

Sing a Song of Patrick

Friend or Foe?

Everything else in this season is mediocre or garbage.

Does anyone else think season 5 is underrated? I sure do! It seems to be accepted as the worst season. Personally? I like it more then season 4, which came off as a little sloppy. I might like it even more then season 6, which felt a little dull at points.

It's nothing compared to the originals. But let's face it. Nothing will ever come even REMOTELY close to the original 3 seasons. 893573.gif

Season 4 was like a better executed version of Season 5. When it was good, it was excellent. But when it was bad, it was... bad. Still, episodes like Krusty Towers and Wishing You Well made up tenfold for the crappy ones.

As for Season 6, this season was dull, but I don't remember any terrible episodes. Then again, I don't remember any great ones either. I guess 5 and 6 are kind of tied for worst.

Season 4 was like a better executed version of Season 5. When it was good, it was excellent. But when it was bad, it was... bad. Still, episodes like Krusty Towers and Wishing You Well made up tenfold for the crappy ones.

As for Season 6, this season was dull, but I don't remember any terrible episodes. Then again, I don't remember any great ones either. I guess 5 and 6 are kind of tied for worst.

I personally feel that season 4 felt a little rushed in the beginning. But after 5 or so episodes, they got things back together. Enough for them to make a good comeback, but also enough so that the beginning makes it the worst season purely by default, in my opinion anyway. 630566.gif

Does anyone else think season 5 is underrated? I sure do! It seems to be accepted as the worst season. Personally? I like it more then season 4, which came off as a little sloppy. I might like it even more then season 6, which felt a little dull at points.

It's nothing compared to the originals. But let's face it. Nothing will ever come even REMOTELY close to the original 3 seasons. 893573.gif

I agree with everything said in this post. 428899.gif

Friend Or Foe?: 10/10

Original Fry Cook: 10/10

Night Light: 6/10

Rise and Shine: 8.5/10

Waiting: 3/10

Fungus Among Us: 1/10

Spy Buddies: 11/10

Boat Smarts: 4/10

Good ol' Whatshisname?: 11/10

New Digs: 10/10 (my opinon has changed recently.)

Krabs a la Mode: 11/10

Roller Cowards: 11/10

Bucket Sweet Bucket: 10/10

Breath Of Fresh Squidward: 10/10

To Love A Patty: 0.3/10

Money Talks: 9.5/10

Spongebob vs. The patty Gadget: 10/10

Slimy Dancing: 9/10

The Krusty Sponge: 10/10

Sing a Song of Patrick: 9.5/10 (Not a big fan of the ending.)

A Flea In Her Dome: 2/10

The Donut Of Shame: 8.5/10

The Krusty Plate: 2/10

Goo Goo Gas: 11/10

Le Big Switch: 1/10

Atlantis Squarepantis: 7.5/10

Picture Day: 4/10

Pat No Pay: 11/10

Blackjack: 7/10

Blackened Sponge: 3/10

MM Vs. SB: 8/10

Inmates Of Summer: 4.5/10

To Save a Squirrel: 6/10

Pest Of The West: 9/10

20,000 Patties Under The Sea: 9/10

The Battle Of Bikini Bottom: -50/10

Whobob Whatpants?: 9.5/10

Two Faces Of Squidward: 10/10

SpongeHenge: 3.5/10

Banned In Bikini Bottom: 8.5/10

Stanley S. SquarePants: 11/10

Overall, A decent season. Some bad episodes, But most episodes were still enjoyable.

I will never understand why this is regarded as the worst Season. Really? Sure, it's not as good as Seasons 1-4, but seriously. How on earth is this worse than the crap that is Season 6? Even a regular episode of Season 6 paired against a bad Season 5 episode will fail. Sure, this season has bad crap, like Fungus Among Us, SpongeHenge, The Battle Of Bikini Bottom, To Save A Squirrel, Good Ol Whatshisname and Boat Smarts (yeah, I've got some Richard Pursel slaughter in me, bro). But honestly, things like Roller Cowards, Krabs A La Mode, New Digs, The Two Faces Of Squidward, Banned In Bikini Bottom, Bucket Sweet Bucket, Friend Or Foe, Sing A Song Of Patrick, and Spongebob V.S The Patty Gadget really balance out the crap.

Meanwhile, Season 6 has about 4 redeeming episodes, almost lost in a sea of mediocrity or garbage. S5 isn't as good as S4, but it's better than everything that follows it. Yes, I am of the belief that S7+S8 isn't as good as S5. Not even really b/c of the humour, but because of other things, like the storyboards, music, and voices.

The art and music here are a tad awkward at times, but it works. The humor here at least tried to be clever, instead of being focused on gross-out *cough*Season6*cough*. It was a little iffy here and there, but arguably the Season that blends Pre and Post Movie the best;. SB wasn't too annoying/stupid, Squidward wasn't overabused, and Mr. Krabs wasn't a total jerk yet. The animation was still fun, too. Then S6 and beyond came.

If Spongebob is a roller coaster, and if S 1-3 were a non stop thrill ride, and S4 was an awkward (but still fun) loop-de-loop, then S5 was those last little fun hills before the coaster breaks down and goes Final Destination 3 on you.

Good, but not great. Atlantis Squarepantis is a perfect example of what this season is; it's trying to be like Pre-Movie, and in some respects, it succeeds. But mostly, it feels like an attempt that is trying so hard to be good, but isn't as good as it wants to be.

This season gets a solid 8/10.

• Like 2

Pretty weak season, but I can name a few pretty good episodes:

1. Friend or Foe?

2. Bucket Sweet Bucket

3. Roller Cowards

4. Sing a Song of Patrick

5. New Digs

6. Krabs a la Mode

This is.. probably one of the most forgettable seasons. Ever. Most of the episodes in this season I always get mixed up with Season 6. Sure, yeah, most of it was meh, but S6/S7 part 1 were worse. It had crap, but in all honesty, I don't see why it's hated on so much. I definitely wouldn't consider it "Pre-Movie" quality, but it's not "Season 6" quality either. It's not good, but not terrible either. I don't hate it. Even this season had it's gold, like New Digs, Krab A La Mode, & Sing A Song Of Patrick.

Episodes like Good Ol' Whatshisname might be what you guys are thinking about, but really, this season was a-OK to me.

6/10. Grade ~ C

Bucket Sweet Bucket was the best of this season, and post-movie overall, really. Could've been Season 3.

Honestly, I thought that one was a little boring, except it had funny quotes

"It's okay, little green...uh.... creature!"

"And I didn't even have to trick the tall one!"

"Oh, you wanted to see through the window?"

Friend Or Foe?: 10/10

Original Fry Cook: 10/10

Night Light: 6/10

Rise and Shine: 8.5/10

Waiting: 3/10

Fungus Among Us: 1/10

Spy Buddies: 11/10

Boat Smarts: 4/10

Good ol' Whatshisname?: 11/10

New Digs: 10/10 (my opinon has changed recently.)

Krabs a la Mode: 11/10

Roller Cowards: 11/10

Bucket Sweet Bucket: 10/10

Breath Of Fresh Squidward: 10/10

To Love A Patty: 0.3/10

Money Talks: 9.5/10

Spongebob vs. The patty Gadget: 10/10

Slimy Dancing: 9/10

The Krusty Sponge: 10/10

Sing a Song of Patrick: 9.5/10 (Not a big fan of the ending.)

A Flea In Her Dome: 2/10

The Donut Of Shame: 8.5/10

The Krusty Plate: 2/10

Goo Goo Gas: 11/10

Le Big Switch: 1/10

Atlantis Squarepantis: 7.5/10

Picture Day: 4/10

Pat No Pay: 11/10

Blackjack: 7/10

Blackened Sponge: 3/10

MM Vs. SB: 8/10

Inmates Of Summer: 4.5/10

To Save a Squirrel: 6/10

Pest Of The West: 9/10

20,000 Patties Under The Sea: 9/10

The Battle Of Bikini Bottom: -50/10

Whobob Whatpants?: 9.5/10

Two Faces Of Squidward: 10/10

SpongeHenge: 3.5/10

Banned In Bikini Bottom: 8.5/10

Stanley S. SquarePants: 11/10

Overall, A decent season. Some bad episodes, But most episodes were still enjoyable.

Wut