• Advertisement

131b. A Pal for Gary

Jjs Goodman

Didn't watch this episode until I was doing my original SBC Worst Episode Ever thread.  Absolutely awful.  Fungus Among Us will probably always be my least favorite episode of all time, but thanks to that countdown, I got to view this and I absolutely have to put this episode up there on my least favorites ever.  Poor Gary deserves much better than this.  How can SpongeBob be so obliviously ignorant?

0/10

• Like 2

Well, at least Gary didn't get hurt in APFG.

the part when Puffy Fluffy tried to eat him slowly. Sure Gary got tortured in PSP more but at least he was fine and happy at the end. The ending of APFG was so cruel.

Yeah this is too far of Spongebob being clueless. If he was like this in every episode gary wouldn't have made it this long, Spongebob would have actually been fired.

Just a jarring idiocy and it wasn't even funny, and the fight scene was lame and they ruin any small amount of redemption by making Spongebob scold Gary by saving his life even at the time I hated this episode because I usually liked all Spongebob episodes the first time I saw them ( until I became more cultured lol ).

1/10

Would I be extremely redundant saying this? Yes.

Will I say it anyways? Why not.

This episode is horrible. Maybe not the absolute pinnacle of the worst, but it took it's mark in history as one of the most infuriating and misguided episodes in the show. No matter who you ask, he or she's gonna hate the episode unless they terribly misinterpreted the show to begin with. Who was once a fun and innocent yet unaware manchild exploring his world was turned into an angering, ignorant ::dolphin noise:: with just eleven minutes to work with. Even before the episode got horrible the episodes forced it's exposition and dialogue down your throat just to understand how ignorant he is, and add even more blatantly obvious stupidity, hatred and pain builds up into putting Gary into an essentially worse place than he started. The episode missed the mark of subtlety and balance entirely to the point where it reached "look at Gary literally fighting for his survival, laugh at him!" This isn't like Gary Takes a Bath where you can see the intentions of both characters even if they're bad intentions, or The Great Snail Race where the mean-spiritedness was used for heavy personal growth and karma for SpongeBob, or like either in that they were funny, aside from a few one-liners. This is just infuriating to see and, no matter how much you beg for a new perspective (that doesn't even exist), this will be that one that takes the cake and splatters it on the ground.