• Advertisement

Steven Universe

Jjs Goodman

If "4-week" means one episode per week, then I'm particularly excited. I feel like spoiling us with a straight Stevenbomb would ruin the mood that this event is trying to give, so I'm excited as hell.

• Like 1

May as well post a dump of thoughts I had about the episodes. Don't click the spoiler if you don't want any. :)

Spoiler
  • WE SURVIVED THE HIATUS, YEEAAAAA

• I was very unimpressed by Alexandriate during her debut a while ago, but Super Watermelon Island sold me on her completely. He two-mouth figure was weird the first time around, but seeing that beast-like mouth breathe fire was one of the most awesome things I've seen in the show in a long time.
  • That watermelon village was straight-up adorable. <3
  • While I loved how the majority of Super Watermelon Island was basically just a huge fight scene, I do wish it went on for longer. I was never a fan of the show being 11 minutes per episode.
  • I didn't even notice Jasper falling into the crack until I saw recap gifs online. I wonder what'll happen with her. 0_o
  • The very last 20 seconds of Super Watermelon Island was so awesome, it really left me itching for Gem Drill.

• I loved both episodes, but I definitely preferred Gem Drill.
  • I loved Peridot's talk about how her point of view is on Earth and her Homeworld. It really adds another layer of character to her.
  • I just fucking love Peridot, I said it before, I'll say it again.
  • "I love you, Peridot!" <---- One of the best quotes ever in the show.
  • Steven acting all messed up and the gem glowing legitimately freaked me out. I honestly thought that Rose would pop out or some crap like that!
  • The cluster being sentient is just messed up, man. I like how they obviously don't want to grow, but they have to.
  • Steven bubbling the entire cluster is kinda cheesy, but it was definitely a MASSIVE moment in the show.
  • Ayy Lapis is back. When will she wake up?
  • This episode just made me genuinely smile, I loved it so much. Interaction between Steven and Peridot always gets a thumbs-up for me, and the huge event helped a lot.

Super Watermelon Island - A-
Gem Drill - A (very close to A+)

21 episodes, man.

Here's a ranking of all episodes from worst to best in my honest opinion.

Spoiler

21. Drop Beat Dad - Just a really lame episode that didn't have as much conflict or character as I wanted it too.

20. Restaurant Wars - I didn't like the plot of this one at all, and the entire thing seemed kinda forced.

19. Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service - I sorta liked it, but I never get much out of Beach City characters' problems outside of a couple exceptions.

18. Know Your Fusion - A mostly decent episode that got saved by Sardonyx being awesome as always.

17. Gem Hunt - It was a really cute episode with good interactions between Connie and Steven, but mostly seemed like filler.

16. Greg the Babysitter - Easily my least favorite episode involving a backstory, but I always like that kind of episode.

15. Beach City Drift - Seeing Stevonnie was great, and I liked the message that went with it, but it was otherwise fine.

14. Steven Floats - The first episode here that I really liked, it was funny and had a nice exposition which kicked off the event perfectly.

13. Alone at Sea - It's always a joy seeing Lapis developing even more, since it's a shame I'm not seeing her lighter side as much as I want.

12. Crack the Whip - Seeing the battle, and especially Connie in battle, was great, and I loved seeing more to Amethyst's character arc.

11. Beta - I loved seeing Peridot and Lapis, but I didn't get much out of the second half since it was mainly just a way to built up to Earthlings.

10. Back to the Moon - A very dramatic episode with the most messed up cliffhanger in the show's history, a heck of a ride.

9. The New Lars - Probably my absolute favorite Beach City-centered episode, Steven/Lars' interactions were nothing short of fun to watch.

8. Steven vs. Amethyst - An insanely important episode for both Steven and Amethyst, with some neat action scenes to boot.

7. Bubbled - A wonderfully barebones episode with a beautiful atmosphere, ending off season 3 with an absolute tearjerker.

6. Bismuth - I  respect this episode much more than I enjoy it, but if there were any episode that summarized what SU does well, it's this one.

5. Kindergarten Kid - Just an absolutely wacky episode, basically the opposite of Bismuth. I really can't get enough of Peridot. Her antics are straight-up hilarious, and I can easily enjoy the Coyote & Roadrunner references, although I admittedly understand why others don't like it as much.

4. Too Short to Ride - Seeing development from Peridot is way too fun to watch, and it helps that the episode is mostly just comfy. Her interaction with actual humans is too enjoyable to even remotely dislike, and it was wonderful to see her start unfolding the potential she never knew she had.

3. Earthlngs - An absolute monster of an episode, one that does so much in 11 minutes that I can barely comprehend it all. Smokey Quartz's actions and dialogue if fun to watch, and Jasper's corruption is straight-up one of the most disturbing things I've seen in the show.

2. Mr. Greg - I didn't get enough Pearl during the Summer, so an episode with her conflicts with Greg and Rose is utterly perfect in my eyes. Seeing them actually warm up to each other for real was incredilbly heartwarming, and I love all 3 musical numbers, especially "It's Over, Isn't It".

1. Monsters Reunion - It's tough for me to put into words how much this episode has screwed with my head in such a wonderful way. The Centipeetle in human form is absolutely adorable, which made it especially hurt to see her suffer during the climax of the episode. I got way more lore-filled exposition than I could have ever asked for. Steven's interaction with her was incredible to watch, and the entire thing ended in the absolute BEST way that I could ever even think about. The amount of thought that comes from this episode, combined with the amount of enjoyment I got by simply watching it makes it, bar none, the absolute highlight of the Summer of Steven, and one of the peak moments in the entire show, probably only trumped by one or two episodes.

I'd love to see your guys' opinion/list things too, a top 5 or something could suffice. :P

The last five episodes of Season 4 will be released on the CN app May 5th. The internet will of course see these episodes on YT and once again dimwittedly get mad at CN for "leaks".

Season 5 of Steven Universe is apparently expected to premiere on Memorial Day, May 29th. 

http://www.animationmagazine.net/tv/clip-steven-universe-returns-for-5-night-event-on-may-8/?doing_wp_cron=1493445229.6927330493927001953125

• Like 1

On 5/25/2013 at 11:15 PM, terminoob said:

So many people are freaking out about how amazing this is, and I'm just like "...meh".

It looks fine and all, and I'm sure it'll be a pretty cool show, but I wasn't sold on the pilot at all.  It's probably just because Steven said "she won't let me see the thing!" or something to that tumblr-effect.  That word's getting really annoying.

Personally, I'm more excited about the other show (the one about a strip mall for superheroes), but this is gonna be just fine too.  There's an obnoxious number of people praising the pilot though, that's for sure.

do you like this show yet 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

do you like this show yet 

I tried a handful of episodes but still couldn't get into it, and I'm not intrigued enough by it to binge it all. I was also soured on Rebecca Sugar/the show for the really stupid reason of going to the school she went to and running into her art style-clones/worshippers in all of my classes for three years.

• Happy 1

After that last episode yesterday, I am still in shock. I can't believe everything I knew at this point in the series was a lie, but I can't wait to see where it goes from here with this new bit of information we just received.

Finally, the show got to the main arc it wanted to tell for years and I'm actually excited for what's next. Also Rose Quartz is just a selfish and a liar person that put everyone in danger. I'm satisfied that they made the whole Rose/Pink Diamond thing sense and she never actually shattered a gem before but she was still a flawed person. :)

Please bring back Bismuth, she needs to know this. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Thanos said:

Finally, the show got to the main arc it wanted to tell for years and I'm actually excited for what's next. Also Rose Quartz is just a selfish and a liar person that put everyone in danger. I'm satisfied that they made the whole Rose/Pink Diamond thing sense and she never actually shattered a gem before but she was still a flawed person. :)

Please bring back Bismuth, she needs to know this. 

I think if Bismuth did find out, she'd be pretty PISSED :P 

I kinda saw this coming......... Mostly, Blackfootferret tends to get his one big overarching point wrong, and a bunch of little details wrong, but all the medium points he brings up that are also deemed crazy have tended to be correct both incFNAF and SU.

I mean, it was that one line from It could have great that sold it for me.

"We are literally walking in the footsteps of the diamonds"

12 hours ago, Dr. Thanos said:

No, she would feel right because she was right about Rose.

She was. But her whole reason for joining the rebellion was to fight against the Diamonds and Homeworld. If she found out she was working with a Diamond, it would be an ironic stab in the back.