• Advertisement

Digimon

dragiiin123

What a coincidence that we already have a topic for Digimon because I literally just found some tapes from Season 1. Season 1 and 2 were the best. Season 3 was good. Season 4 and above I really don't give a shit about.

What's up with all the season 4+ hate? Season 4 isn't that bad. Season 5 sucks. But Season 6 is great, just as good as the 3rd season. Oh, but if you guys watch Season 6, your nostalgia goggles have to be off. It makes up it's own weird, but simple story.

Huge bump because I finally found myself the time to catch up on the Digimon anime. Since last month, I've been binging on Adventure and I recently just got started on Adventure 02. There's still so much more that I need go through (including the Digimon Adventure tri films and the Cyber Sleuth game), but anyways, Adventure was a very solid start.

The Devimon storyline stood out the strongest for me, as well as the first half of the Myotismon storyline. I also enjoyed some specific episodes from the Dark Masters storyline ("My Sister's Keeper," "The Ultimate Clash," and "The Crest of Friendship.") At least one nitpick I've had with Adventure was that some battles felt anti-climatic, but I'll also have to give the series some credit for not stretching most their fights for too long, considering that story is Digimon's main focus.

Right now I just can't wait until I get to Tamers. However, I'd also like to know if Frontier, Savers, and Xros Wars/Fusion are any worth watching before I think about skipping one or the other.

Edited by Steel Sponge

And I've now finished Tamers (I also decided to rebound on Frontier afterwards.) Before Tamers, I finished Adventure 02 as well, but I figured that I talk about this series first because, unsurprisingly so, this ended up being my absolute favorite installment out of the three that I've seen so far.

For those who haven't seen this installment, don't worry as I'm keeping this review spoiler-free. The character establishment and development was great, the main, true villain was great, the whole concept from the start with the divide between the real world and digital world was interesting, as well as the concept of using Digimon trading cards to enhance a partner's abilities. However, I'll admit that Tamers doesn't start getting really interesting up until episode 34, an episode that is otherwise commonly cited for when the show starts to become a lot more somber and dramatic. Sure, it gets so dark that it has its moments where it forgets about the demographic that it aims towards, but I can't complain. I'm a major sucker for animated shows with plots that get so deep. HOWEVER, it wasn't until episode 40, along with its final arc, that Tamers would keep me completely hooked.

If there are any particular flaws I could point out, I could say right off the bat that I could do without Kazu and Kenta before episode 31. However, I could especially do without Ryo. I could say something about his sheer lack of character flaws, but the biggest issue I've had with him is his lack of character establishment and the plot holes that he just leaves hanging. Like, how did Ryo enter the digital world and how did he and Rika know each other before then? How is it that Ryo can't control Cyberdramon but he functions with his partner's biomerge digivolution just fine? To me, Ryo was the type of character who was...just there. I am very aware that  he does have a backstory that was only best known towards the Japanese public, but still, that was never present in the Tamers anime.

In short, Tamers is a fantastic installment from the Digimon franchise, and if you haven't delved into it yet, I definitely recommend it. Even if it's not like Adventure 01, 02, and tri, Tamers goes to show that when Digimon delivers, it really can do so.

And then there's Adventure 02. It's definitely not a bad installment, I really did enjoy it, but compared to 01 and Tamers, I can't say that it was as good as it was at its time. Also, be warned as this review of mine is not spoiler-free.

Spoiler

Likewise with Tamers, one of 02's strengths was the character development and establishment for its new Digidestined team. Other than that, Armor and DNA Digivolution were both interesting new concepts to digivolution. Finally, one particular arc from 02 that stood out the strongest to me was the very first with Ken as the Digimon Emperor. Speaking of Ken, I really came to appreciate his character arc, but I'll admit it that it got pretty tiresome after a long while. In fact, I was enjoying the direction that 02 was aiming towards until the final arc with Yukio Oikawa.

At that point, I was seriously wondering when Ken's character arc was going to put an end to his massive guilt complex and for Ken to accept himself as a true member of the Digidestined, which stuck around since the end of the Digimon Emperor storyline and didn't wrap up until the penultimate episode leading up to the finale and I just couldn't see why that character arc couldn't wrap up after Daemon's defeat.

And speaking of the finale...I speak for everyone when I say that it had me feeling pretty frustrated. However, contrary to how the majority felt about the epilogue, that wasn't the biggest problem I've had with the finale, rather it was a very good chunk of the entire climax. The fact that this installment reuses Myotismon as the true final villain felt like a bit of a cop-out to me, but when it comes to the final battle...it was piling high on A-pulls - and that was the point where I was beginning to feel frustrated. The Digidestined's partners aren't strong enough to beat Myotismon's one-winged angel, big whoop, but wait! The Digidestined from all around the world are here to use the light from their Digivices to vanquish MaloMyotismon, but wait! What about the children kidnapped by Oikawa that are so depressed about not being part of the Digidestined, as their inner darkness is now allowing MaloMyotismon to overcome? But wait! You can overcome the darkness if you just listen to your lifelong dream, and look, now you all have a Digimon of your own! And just like that, MaloMyotismon is defeated.

The way that finale was paced, it really makes me think that it was rushed out. In fact, Oikawa's redemption that takes place right before the epilogue also felt really rushed out. Call me crazy, but I thought the epilogue was pleasant enough to curb my thoughts on the messy finale. Yes, there's the logical fallacy about everyone in the world being able to have a Digimon of their own, but I can't argue so much on it when it comes down to the fact that Taichi eventually grows up to be a diplomat who deals with digital and real world relations after 25 years. "But what about Taiora not being canon?" some of you folks may ask? Sora and Yamato ending up together, I can treat it as a take it or leave it type of deal, simply put. I also lost interest in shipping ages ago, so that didn't really leave me with a huge mark.

Digimon Adventure 02 may have some visible flaws, but despite them, 02 still manages to stand out in my views. It's not as excellent as the other two installments that I talked about before, but I must say that Adventure 02 is still worth watching.

I'll be willing to express my thoughts on Frontier after I complete it. After I'm done with that, I'm skipping right ahead to Fusion/Xros Wars and then the most recent installment known as Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters...that is if it's ever available to watch outside of Japan or if I can find a reliable source to watch the episode online.

Because Pokemon clearly isn't the only franchise with first gen nostalgia syndrome, we're getting a reboot of the original Digimon Adventure, which comes out the very next month in Japan:

And the most recent Adventure 01/02 sequel film hasn't been out for a full month yet.

• Wow 1