• Advertisement

Roger Ebert (Movie Critic) Dies at age 70

Patty Rose

I know Clapples and OMJ have made Status updates about this, but I'll make a thread about this tragic event.

Renowned American film critic Roger Ebert has died at 70 after a long battle with cancer, his newspaper the Chicago Sun-Times has reported.

Ebert, known for his thumbs-up or down reviews on a series of television shows on films, first became a film critic for the Sun-Times in 1967.

He was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2002, losing his jaw and his ability to speak in a subsequent surgery.

But he later resumed writing full-time and also returned to television.

On Tuesday, Ebert revealed on his popular blog that he faced a fresh bout with cancer and was taking a "leave of presence", writing fewer reviews.

He suffered a hip fracture in December that he said "had recently been revealed to be a cancer".

"It is being treated with radiation, which has made it impossible for me to attend as many movies as I used to," he wrote. But Ebert vowed to continue his work.

R.I.P. Roger Ebert.

Your glory will never be replaced by anyone.

• Like 3

What I liked about Roger Ebert is that even when I didn't agree with his movie opinions, I still loved reading them. I don't get that feeling with any other critic, and that says so much about Ebert as a writer and a person. He will be sorely missed.

While I usually ended up agreeing ("Watchmen", "Clerks") or disagreeing ("The Beyond", "I Spit On Your Grave") strongly with his opinions, it's hard to deny the fact that he's an important figure in film criticism. Hell, without him, i'm sure review sites and whatnot might not even be around. Nuttin' but respect. RIP.

i never really liked his opinions but when he was right he was spot on RIP

This and Elastic's for me. Some of his negative opinions actually kinda got on my nerves, but he was a great film critic as a whole. Farewell and a wish for a restful peace to him.