• Advertisement

183b. Squid Defense

Jinjo

Squid Defense Rating  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Episode Rating?

• 5/5 Stars: My groceries are saved!
    • 4/5 Stars: You are on your way to being a karate master.
    • 3/5 Stars: Your skills need some work.
    • 2/5 Stars: You call that kicking?
    • 1/5 Stars: My groceries have been stolen!

or once to have an episode where SpongeBob isn't crying every other minute,

Good catch on the T.U.F.F. Puppy episode, I had no idea they had an episode similar to that. To add to this, I thought it was nice that the writers didn't have Squidward so grumpy when he was learning karate. He actually went along with SpongeBob when he was pretending to be a robber, I find that pretty cool of him.

• Like 1

Why are so many people complaining about the episode? I felt it flowed rather smoothly and ended pretty well.

Overall, though, this definitely was a low-point for Season 9 and was a whole lot of wasted potential. I was expecting so much, and I didn't laugh once. I'm very disappointed. I found SpongeBob to be very annoying, Sandy to be annoying, and Squidward to be unfunny and just kind of awkward (until the end, when he went and tried to kick the guy's butt). However, I don't understand why Squidward went down that alley in the first place... what was the point of that? Doesn't really make sense, but okay. Humor was almost nonexistent in this episode. Overall, C+. Squid Baby at least made me laugh out loud at some points.

The episode actually wasn't that bad to me. I've seen worse. But I don't like how they ruined SpongeBob's karate skills. And the jokes seemed fine to me. Also I'm glad Squidward got what he deserved for disobeying SpongeBob and Sandy. I give it a 3.5/5, but I guess almost anything pleases me as long as it isn't boring.

This is why I shouldn't copy my posts from SBM

Anyway, another good thing about this ep was that pretty much all the squid abuse in it felt deserved and didn't bug me at all. They're getting better with that.

How was all of it deserving? I mean, yeah, Squidward deserved to get what he got when he first walked into a dark alley for no freaking reason, but the ending? No. Squidward only wanted to face his fears. Squidward was self-defending himself. Despite all that, Squidward gets treated like crap again.

Okay, review time!

This episode was forgettable. It's one of those eps were nothing really sticks out. I guess the animation is fluid, they remembered to use the water helmets, but other than that, the episode is bad. It's main problem is plot holes. Here are the plot holes I can think of:

• Squidward walks down a dark alley. Umm...
  • Sandy says to not use karate for revenge. I'm pretty sure that's happened somewhere in the series. I'm think Karate Island, but not sure.
  • The menacing guy just happens to be in the alley again. Is it his home or something?

The rest either made me want to stab the characters or fall asleep. Here's the thing: If one of your favorite characters (Sandy) makes themselves unlikable to the audience by accident, then it's not really a good episode. Sandy was a big jerk. Her character should be sympathizing Squidward, but instead makes him clean up her dome. Because cleaning a dome is comedy gold... hahaha. And the end is... SQUID ABUSE! wow wow wow, I never saw that coming! A robber who is wearing robber clothes is innocent! Now THAT was soooooooo unexpected (C'mon writers.). And Squidward has the people he knows turn their backs on him, and Squidward apparently loses his belt. Mean-spirited much? And Squidward gets arrested. You know, I'm getting increasingly aggravated at the police. They never do ANYTHING that they should. Overall, I give this 3/4 of a star. The episode had good animation, but was also very excruciating.

Good episode. But it couldn't been so much more. They should've made it a 30 minute special and developed it more and had Squidward using his karate skills a little more. And what was really annoying was Sandy going "Karate can't be used and revenge" and all that junk. I mean, seriously?! Why not? If someone was mean to you why not teach them a lesson? And it's not really Squidward's fault, he thought the guy was a mean thug. When he first saw him, the guy was making creepy noises and coming to Squidward. Why? He had nothing to give Squidward. At the end, Squidward telling him to back-off but he doesn't respond. I mean, why doesn't he just tell him Squidward left his groceries?

How was all of it deserving? I mean, yeah, Squidward deserved to get what he got when he first walked into a dark alley for no freaking reason, but the ending? No. Squidward only wanted to face his fears. Squidward was self-defending himself. Despite all that, Squidward gets treated like dirt.

Squidward only wanted to learn karate to defend himself in case something like the grocieries incident happened again. When Sandy told him that one of the most important rules of karate was not using it for revenge, he went ahead and tried to get revenge on the guy in the back alley anyway (who was only trying to help in the first place). Squidward's stupidity in blatantly disregarding the rules was dumb and he got what he deserved for it IMO.

There's a difference between self-defense and willingly going back into an alley to beat the crap out of someone.

• Like 2

Squidward only wanted to learn karate to defend himself in case something like the grocieries incident happened again. When Sandy told him that one of the most important rules of karate was not using it for revenge, he went ahead and tried to get revenge on the guy in the back alley anyway (who was only trying to help in the first place). Squidward's stupidity in blatantly disregarding the rules was dumb and he got what he deserved for it IMO.

There's a difference between self-defense and willingly going back into an alley to beat the crap out of someone.

TBH the ending was a lot like Slide Whistle Stooges. Squidward went too far and he suffered the consequences of his actions. He didn't have to go back to that guy. Now if that guy came to him, that would be different. It would be self defense.

• Like 1

The thing is, though, Squidward DIDN'T know the guy was only trying to help. He thought the thug was trying to mercilessly kill him. If I was seemingly being attacked by a thug and I had no way of fighting, then naturally I'd learn some moves and defend myself. IMO, Squidward DID go into the alleyway and willingly beat him up, but he didn't know the thug was trying to help.

And, personally, I felt the ending was more BTB-esque. Squidward feels as if he's getting something done with but everything just comes and throws a middle finger to him at the end.

Eh, it doesn't really matter what Squidward thought the thug was trying to do, he shouldn't have gone back into the alley to face the thug and get revenge because that broke the rules of Karate. He broke the only rule and suffered the consequences. That's how I see it, anyway.

• Like 3

LOL the rules? What RULES? That was just Sandy being kind of stupid about it. She was really annoying in this episode, honestly. I don't know if it was a combination of her cheesy voice or just the way it kind of accelerated from "Now I can go defeat my attacker!" and then immediately, "THAT'S IT SQUIDWARD I'M NOT TEACHING YOU ANYMORE!" That just felt very thin and stupid.

I still don't see how the ending was cheap, I liked it.

I feel sorry for the guy in the alley. He didn't do anything. Squidward was just being paranoid. So the guy got beat up for nothing. So I enjoyed it when Squidward was doing Sandy's chores. Reminds me of Karate Kid. I also liked the fact that Spongebob and Sandy sat together talking about it. I liked the episode.

• Like 2

I enjoyed this episode rather very well. I loved the plot. and it didn't go exactly how I waned (Wish the "theif" was an actual theif but ah oh well) spongebob and sandy wer great in this as was squidward. he did exacly as I pictured. wasn't full on grumpy but was careless in the start. now he knows karate. ending was predictable but I still enjoyed it. it teachers u all a lesson. never use your power for evil or revenge. with great power comes great responsibility. but al in all. I give it a 9.5 out of 10. great episode

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the guy in the alley. He didn't do anything. Squidward was just being paranoid. So the guy got beat up for nothing. So I enjoyed it when Squidward was doing Sandy's chores. Reminds me of Karate Kid. I also liked the fact that Spongebob and Sandy sat together talking about it. I liked the episode.

This!

There were several Spandy moments. I agree, I thought Squidward was a little too mean and rash.

Well, my thoughts are still Squidward didn't know if the thug was good or not and while he was a bit too rash, I still think he got a little too much rash for his actions. Were the writers trying to throw in a morale? (Don't ignore the rules, or you'll suffer the consequences)?

But, eh, you're entitled to your opinions.

• Like 1

"Squid Defense"

SquidwardKarate_zpscc131f8b-1_zpsc7043e0c-1_zpsd86fa46a.jpg

Squidward practicing his first karate chop in Sandy's treedome

I've noticed the amount of negative comments about this one and while I understand that most people were disappointed, I thought people would have gotten used to over-hyped episodes and could see over it and discover it's true quality. I mean this isn't the greatest episode ever (it's not even the strongest of season 9) but it isn't bad. It's got some great gags, that I have listed below, and it's well paced and flows quite naturally.

It kicks off instantly and in just over a minute, Squidward has decided he want's to do karate. I like seeing scenes between just Squidward and Spongebob so I enjoyed the first half of the episode with just the two of them. I did think the episode sort of transformed in Karate Star V.2 when Squidward became good at karate but unlike Patrick in that episode, Squidward faces consequences, once again, for his actions. As mentioned above, here are a few things I found funny in this episode...

* The creepy creeper run

* "tah-rah-kay"

* Squidward unenthusiastic "Hi-ya"

* Squidward getting tangled in himself

* Spongebob's "You missed a spot"

* "And you have the right to remain silent ... or not silent"

* The sight gags were great throughout

I do think this is an episode that people will like more on repeated viewing after getting over the original disappointed as it does have some good gags and really good pacing. It does suffer from stepping into familiar and unoriginal settings but overall it was a nice change of pace and for an episode with a lot of potential, they seemed to cover MOST of what it could deliver (I would have liked to have seen more paranoia so the final confrontation in the alley would have meant something more but it didn't detract anything major). In conclusion I'd say that this is one of the better, more recent Squidward episodes

14/20 ( B ) :)

PS. I know it's probably happened before but I find it quite weird that Patrick was not in this or it's partner ("Eek and Urchin") he usually makes a cameo and I was surprised he wasn't in either. What I want to know is if this has happened before (I know it probably has but from memory I can't really think of any other instances).

• Like 1

Guest hilaryfan80

The episode actually wasn't that bad... I absolutely loved that the main character was Squidward and not SpongeBob. If anything, this episode alone is now in my top 10 SpongeBob episodes just because it's that different. I also loved the drawing style they had in the episode; it feels a lot more modern than the older episodes. :)

The only thing wrong with the episode, which prevents it from being in the top 5, is the plot wasn't great. Like I said in my previous post, it was too much like T.U.F.F. Puppy. :l

"Squid Defense"

SquidwardKarate_zpscc131f8b-1_zpsc7043e0c-1_zpsd86fa46a.jpg

Squidward practicing his first karate chop in Sandy's treedome

I've noticed the amount of negative comments about this one and while I understand that most people were disappointed, I thought people would have gotten used to over-hyped episodes and could see over it and discover it's true quality. I mean this isn't the greatest episode ever (it's not even the strongest of season 9) but it isn't bad. It's got some great gags, that I have listed below, and it's well paced and flows quite naturally.

It kicks off instantly and in just over a minute, Squidward has decided he want's to do karate. I like seeing scenes between just Squidward and Spongebob so I enjoyed the first half of the episode with just the two of them. I did think the episode sort of transformed in Karate Star V.2 when Squidward became good at karate but unlike Patrick in that episode, Squidward faces consequences, once again, for his actions. As mentioned above, here are a few things I found funny in this episode...

* The creepy creeper run

* "tah-rah-kay"

* Squidward unenthusiastic "Hi-ya"

* Squidward getting tangled in himself

* Spongebob's "You missed a spot"

* "And you have the right to remain silent ... or not silent"

* The sight gags were great throughout

I do think this is an episode that people will like more on repeated viewing after getting over the original disappointed as it does have some good gags and really good pacing. It does suffer from stepping into familiar and unoriginal settings but overall it was a nice change of pace and for an episode with a lot of potential, they seemed to cover MOST of what it could deliver (I would have liked to have seen more paranoia so the final confrontation in the alley would have meant something more but it didn't detract anything major). In conclusion I'd say that this is one of the better, more recent Squidward episodes

14/20 ( B ) :)

PS. I know it's probably happened before but I find it quite weird that Patrick was not in this or it's partner ("Eek and Urchin") he usually makes a cameo and I was surprised he wasn't in either. What I want to know is if this has happened before (I know it probably has but from memory I can't really think of any other instances).

No, I don't believe Patrick has ever been entirely absent from two segments consecutively. That's a good observation, Sabre. :lol: