• Advertisement

183b. Squid Defense

Jjs Goodman

Squid Defense Rating  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Episode Rating?

• 5/5 Stars: My groceries are saved!
    • 4/5 Stars: You are on your way to being a karate master.
    • 3/5 Stars: Your skills need some work.
    • 2/5 Stars: You call that kicking?
    • 1/5 Stars: My groceries have been stolen!

183b_Episodenkarte-Squid_Defense.jpg

* Written by: Casey, Zeus, Blake Lemons (NEW WRITER), and Derek Iversen

* Huh..Blake Lemons is a new writer, and a storyboard director for this ep along with Casey and Zeus. He apparently worked on Fish Hooks.

* Creepy creepers.

* Squidward..I wouldn't go in there if I was you.

* Hm, I wonder if there will be a twist with the robber.

* The way of tear-rah-tay!

* Sensei Cheeks is what SpongeBob calls Sandy now?

* Lol at the other side of SpongeBob talking.

* I promise to use karate only for protection and not for revenge.

* Lol at Squidward basically getting destroyed from the chop.

* Squidward is kicking a..Slug Buddy?

* SpongeBob impersonating a criminal was funny. :P

* Lol at Sandy and SpongeBob laying together.

* Squidward quits, and he chops all the nuts.

* Oh wow, Squidward is turning into the next Patrick, like Pat did in Karate Star.

* And the robber is...a fat green fish.

* Oh wow...so Squidward hurt a guy for no reason. The robber was just trying to give Squidward back his groceries.

* For some reason, I saw the ending coming.

* I gotta be honest...this one was a bit disappointing. :/ It wasn't horrible, just kind of dull, and the ending was predictable.

Grade: C+

• Like 1

This episode wasn't awful. But that's about the best praise I can give it. Very disappointed.

Da Good

-The plot was actually a good one- Karate Star with Squidward replacing Patrick actually seems funny.

-Good to see Karate Sandy and not Science Sandy for once.

-The excitement of seeing a new writer was amazing for a few minutes until I figured out where I had seen his name before.

-I liked the ending, even if it was a little stupid. The cop being all happy the entire time was actually funny.

-SpongeBob Half: "I was just about to say that!" Other Half: "I know!"

-"You missed a spot."

Da Bad

Not gonna do bullets for this this time around. This episode wasn't very funny. It was directed by the iffy Casey and Zeus, but outlined by the amazing Derek Iversen. But, we also had a new writer named Blake Lemons. He writes for Fish Hooks, which is not a very good show. This was not a very good episode. Coincidence? Don't think so. Only a scant few things were funny here, and while there was nothing inherently wrong with the episode, it wasn't funny. And while what DMAP said would hold some water if this was say, Season 7, the show hasn't been cringeworthy for a while now (until Squid Baby at least) and that isn't much of a plus to me anymore.

I'll give this bad episode the benefit of the doubt- I believe that this is Lemons' first episode and a giant trait of post movie is that the first episode a new writer writes is kinda bad (Derek Iversen's first ep was Nautical Novice, Sean Charmatz's first ep was The Splinter, Richard Pursel's first episode was Fungus Among Us, etc). I like to call this "New Writer Jitters" (thanks to jjs for the name and idea tongue.png). I just hope Lemons picks it up if he writes any more episodes. Overall, not a very good episode. Worse than Squid Baby to me because at least that episode was funny.

While it wasn't awful, it felt like a Season 7 episode. Worst episode of Season 9 so far to me. 6.9/10. :/

EVERY BLAKE IS LEMONS

• Like 1

Just watched it and it did better what I heard from the xat earlier. But to be honest, it was plain and forgettable The episode felt like it went too fast and like jjs said it was predictable. Some parts were funny, especially the "you missed a spot". I didn't like at all how they deminished SpongeBob's karate skills, but I guess I understand if that was the joke. They could at least showed him doing more. I don't know about the "Sensei Sandy" part. Like MBS said before in his countdown, SB and Sandy are usually evenly matched. The cop part was pretty hilarious, finally a cop moment where I wasn't annoyed with. And speaking of the cop, I do believe Squidward got what he deserved. SB and Sandy did warn him about using his karate for bad. The sunset at the beginning of the episode was pretty great too, it reminded me of Ear Worm. I wished they had more jokes between characters like Squidward and Sandy though as well.

I'm going to leave this episode unrated for now, because I feel like I have to watch the episode a second time.

sponge.jpg
================ Squid Defense ===================
Writers - Casey Alexander, Zeus Cervas, the new Blake Lemons, and Derek Iversen
Production Code - 183b
Rating - ★★ (4.5/10)
Season 9
==================================================

Another case of Bumper To Bumper! Hooray. When I originally first HEARD of this episode, I was actually genuinely excited. They took a character that was abused to death to a plot setting that was underused to death. That, and.. Squidward never.. really.. had a role in any "karate" episodes. The general consensus of the karate episodes are SpongeBob, Sandy, and usually a one-timer (Master Udon, Sensei Fuzzy). Any other characters really getting involved into these episodes is kind of a rare deal, so when I heard my FAVORITE CHARACTER WAS GETTING INTO A KARATE EPISODE, I was pretty "pumped". Unfortunately, I wouldn't know the disappointment to come.

First things first, the show gained a new writer sometime around this episode it seems, for we have Blake "E.V.I.L" Lemons, straight off the mediocre Disney toon, Fish Hooks. I guess Blake Lemons has a certain love for kids' underwater cartoons..? I've watched quite a bit of Fish Hooks, and it felt quite uninspired (Noah Z. Jones, oh, of course) so I really hope that after this episode, Blake will actually manage to write a few decent episodes. And.. what is with Casey & Zeus being literally the ONLY ones to write karate-themed episodes post-movie? They did Karate Star AND Way Of The Sponge. Same goes for Derek Iversen.

Anyway, on with the episode!

Well, SpongeBob basically practices karate like a deranged maniac at the end of the KK workday and ends up knocking Squidward down, of course. Apparently, SpongeBob & Sandy are having an intense session of "karate" and SpongeBob invites Squidward over. Squidward, being the wise man he is, denies and goes out to get some groceries. Who.. goes home via a run down alleyway? Of course he gets his groceries stole, it's a darn alleyway, some sort of Al Capone crime lord is gonna come and track you down eventually! Anyway, a seeming sort of thug comes after Squidward, prompting him to get home quick, and he comes begging to SpongeBob for help in karate. (Oh, and you're gonna love how they end the episode on.. just you wait)

Anyway, we get a scene where SpongeBob teaches Squidward the arts of "karate". To the writers, this should've been comedy gold, but I did not laugh once during this scene, not once! SpongeBob gets split into half and makes a few weak jokes but absolutely none come out as funny. It turns out that SpongeBob really can't teach much but "Sensei Cheeks" can. Why "Sensei Cheeks"? Is SpongeBob that obsessed with karate? She doesn't have a dojo or anything. (That would make a good ep plot..)

The two arrive at the treedome, this time, no animation errors, they BOTH have the air helmets. I guess the budget was increased a little for this episode. Sandy, however, is actually a JERK in this episode! I actually rooted for HER in Way Of The Sponge, but no! Instead, she pulls this "Karate cannot be used for revenge" stuff, but how is that gonna help Squidward? He got his groceries stolen! HELP HIM! And actually, they pull this "revenge" stuff more than once! They make it a PLOT DEVICE JUST TO SPARK MORE MEAN SPIRITED JOKES! Holy Jesus! Squidward tries, but honestly, he really DOESN'T wanna learn from Sandy, and just wants to learn how to defend himself. But, Sandy, being the jerk she is, has Squidward.. clean her property. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM THIS GUY, YOU TEXAN SCUM? Sandy's turned into a non-greedy Mr. Krabs, here, for goodness sakes. After making a few weak jokes out of cleaning, we have more "NO KARATE REVENGE TROLOLOLO" stuff and Squidward manages to become a decent enough student to warrant the "belt of basic compentance".

Right away, Squidward speeds out of the treedome before getting the belt (Which pulls a Chekhov's Gun on us) and goes back to the New York City alleyway to get the guy who fought him in a rather.. uninspired climax scene. Squidward can fight, but the thug seems to do absolutely NOTHING. After throwing various background items at the thug, it turns out the guy just wanted to give Squidward his groceries! Even worse, SpongeBob & Sandy come and bring the belt Squidward left back at the Treedome, and they notice Squidward had "karate-d" the um.. fish. Sandy and SpongeBob pull the "Karate can't be used for revenge" junk one last time before Squidward is arrested and brought to jail.

And we get the only smirkable joke in this episode!
"You have the right to remain silent."
"AHHHHHHHHHH!"
"Or not silent."

Summed up, Squid Defense was just a major disappointment. The only pro I can think of is the concept, but the execution was bad, the "Karate can't be used for revenge" plot device was horrid, the Bumper To Bumper style ending was just atrocious, and it all in all was a mess. I hope Blake really writes for some BETTER episodes in the future and improves on his writing. This really came close to beating out Squid Baby for worst S9 episode (current).

★★ - 4.5 blocks of wood out of 10.

• Like 1

And while what DMAP said would hold some water if this was say, Season 7, the show hasn't been cringeworthy for a while now (until Squid Baby at least) and that isn't much of a plus to me anymore.

its funny because dmap didnt say anything in this thread

IN OTHER NEWS, I liked this episode. The visuals were pretty good, and there were at least a few jokes to keep me entertained. Overall, it wasn't much worse than the other season niners, and it gets a 7/10 from me.

The episode actually wasn't that bad to me. I've seen worse. But I don't like how they ruined SpongeBob's karate skills. And the jokes seemed fine to me. Also I'm glad Squidward got what he deserved for disobeying SpongeBob and Sandy. I give it a 3.5/5, but I guess almost anything pleases me as long as it isn't boring.

its funny because dmap didnt say anything in this thread

This is why I shouldn't copy my posts from SBM

Anyway, another good thing about this ep was that pretty much all the squid abuse in it felt deserved and didn't bug me at all. They're getting better with that.

• Like 1

Guest hilaryfan80

I thought it wasn't that bad. I liked where it was going at the beginning and the middle, but then the end was a huge let down.

One of the biggest things of this episode was it deeply reminded me of T.U.F.F. Puppy. The plot line between this episode and that show are almost identical. Dudley walks down an alley and Snaptrap to rob him; therefore, he wants to gain revenge on Snaptrap by learning karate from Kitty. Dudley then goes and screws everything up and Kitty and Keswick show up to save the day. And as an added bonus, the robber is just as lame of an antagonist as Snaptrap is.

A major pro that I have to give to the episode is that it's different than what the writers have been writing. It's actually quite refreshing for once to have an episode where SpongeBob isn't crying every other minute, and SpongeBob isn't the main character of the episode! I mean, there have been other episodes where SpongeBob wasn't the main character, but this is probably the first episode with an entire plot line that he wasn't.

Rating: 8/10. My rating doesn't go for its plot, but its creativity from the other episodes of SpongeBob.