• Advertisement

SpongeBob History Repeats Itself

Young Nug

Bump.

So now it's confirmed that Iversen is gone, and in addition to that, Casey Alexander, Luke Brookshier, and Marc Ceccarelli have moved on to Uncle Grandpa, and Zeus Cervas is going to be on Bad Seeds (thanks to jjs for that info), it looks like history really is about to repeat itself, because the show is about to be out of crew members pretty soon. :P Just like back in 2004, when everyone was jumping ship for Camp Lazlo and other things.

Not only that, but episodes are dribbling out slower than ever due to work on the new movie, which is the exact predicament SpongeBob fans were in back in 2003-2004 when the first movie was being completed. This is just really weird how almost the exact same sequence of events are repeating themselves, and I'm kinda worried for the future of the show at this point.

At this point I would say things are looking pretty promising

the door is wide open for Hillenburg to get more involved in the show again, which of course would be a good thing.

I could easily see Sherm Cohen coming back along with Erik Wiese

Add in a few writers from the Spongebob Comics

+ couple of others (pretty sure Blake Lemons hasn't left)

I think we have a good possibility of ending up with a good writing team..

the door is wide open for Hillenburg to get more involved in the show again, which of course would be a good thing.

It's been wide open ever since he left. He has a life outside of Spongebob; if he didn't want to leave then he wouldn't have left.

• Like 2

Exactly. the point is now I think he would be willing to get back in the swing of things

What? No, the point is if he wanted to go back he wouldn't have left. And even if he did go back, I don't see why his involvement would do anything. It's not like he was the one central figure in the pre-movie seasons that made us love the show. If he goes back and it's still not up to our (at this point) ridiculously high standards, then are we going to blame him anyway? Or say he shouldn't have gone back? Or say Spongebob should just be canceled? If we want the show back to (again, at this point) our ridiculously high standards, then it's not going to be an over-night quick fix sort of deal. The current writers are fine, the next batch of writers are going to be fine, and Spongebob is going to continue to stay on TV because it's Nickelodeon's biggest (and probably only) money maker.

What? No, the point is if he wanted to go back he wouldn't have left. And even if he did go back, I don't see why his involvement would do anything. It's not like he was the one central figure in the pre-movie seasons that made us love the show. If he goes back and it's still not up to our (at this point) ridiculously high standards, then are we going to blame him anyway? Or say he shouldn't have gone back? Or say Spongebob should just be canceled? If we want the show back to (again, at this point) our ridiculously high standards, then it's not going to be an over-night quick fix sort of deal. The current writers are fine, the next batch of writers are going to be fine, and Spongebob is going to continue to stay on TV because it's Nickelodeon's biggest (and probably only) money maker.

that credit goes to Derek Drymon

If he came back he would probably not have the same exact role as he did pre-movie. maybe so? who knows..

I get what your saying though

the current batch of writers are fine when you become used to slightly lower quality episodes=

When I saw a tweet by Vincent Waller (or Paul Tibbitt, don't remember which) a while ago  that said:

"we all try to make each episode as funny as possible" 

the b.s. alarm goes on in my head.

that credit goes to Derek Drymon

If he came back he would probably not have the same exact role as he did pre-movie. maybe so? who knows..

I get what your saying though

the current batch of writers are fine when you become used to slightly lower quality episodes=

When I saw a tweet by Vincent Waller (or Paul Tibbitt, don't remember which) a while ago  that said:

"we all try to make each episode as funny as possible" 

the b.s. alarm goes on in my head.

Okay, so when you make a show that has 9 seasons and a movie, I'll be watching to make sure each and every episode is up to my obscenely high comedic standards.

• Like 1

Every long show usually has a decline whether it be the opinion of one or every fan.

Family Guy was never the same after it was brought back, Friends hit a low point with Rachel/Joey, How I Met Your Mother started gradually getting worse after Stella, The Simpsons has probably had at least seven declines throughout its run, Community has gotten progressively weirder during the middle of season 2, The Office lost steam after Pam and Jim got together, Chuck lost focus after season 2 and started to reinvent itself each season with less and less success, every episode of SNL is always "the worst episode ever", not even Glee fans like Glee, no one agrees on anything with Doctor Who, Supernatural fans either dropped off at season 5 or continued on with it, Futurama was in a perpetual "eh" state after the first finale, people got tired of Phineas and Ferb after the fifth episode, people are swearing off Arrested Development thanks to the fourth season...

I could go on, really. That doesn't stop those shows from either being amazing or having an extremely devoted fanbase. HIMYM got 9 seasons, Friends got 10, I've lost count of how many The Simpsons has had (20 something?), Doctor Who has been on since the 60s, SNL has been on since the 70s, Futurama got four movies and a revival, Family Guy came back twice, The Office was an adaptation of a UK show and lasted 9 times as long, Phineas and Ferb started a cartoon revolution, and Supernatural fans are scary.

Shows hit a decline, or are always in decline, or started in a decline, or what have you. Shows change and evolve and adapt to current pop culture trends and they're malleable enough to always be something new and exciting, so we're not going to get another "Pizza Delivery" or "Band Geeks" or "Christmas Who?" because those were episodes for a different time.

Former writing staff isn't going to fix anything. They're going to have to pander to what the target demographic wants, and, because Spongebob still isn't canceled, that means the target demographic enjoys what they have now. Nickelodeon isn't going to just say "oh, you want to do it the way you used to? okay, cool, we don't need money anymore". People older than 8 probably aren't going to be buying Spongebob merchandise (though of course there are exceptions) so there's no need to pander to a demographic that Nickelodeon doesn't care about. From the looks of it, there's going to be a whole new writing staff for post-movie 2, and they're going to change up the formula throughout the first post-movie 2 season to figure out what works and what doesn't, and then they'll stick with what works because they probably want jobs for the foreseeable future (and you can't have a job if your show gets canned). If that means going back to old ways, then great! Good for us! That means older kids can stop complaining about how Spongebob isn't as good as it used to be! If it means doing something completely different and alienates the older kids and the kids that just grew out of the target demographic, then so be it, because that's what it'll take to keep the show going and to keep turning profits and to keep their jobs.

• Like 1

Family Guy was never the same after it was brought back, Friends hit a low point with Rachel/Joey, How I Met Your Mother started gradually getting worse after Stella, The Simpsons has probably had at least seven declines throughout its run, Community has gotten progressively weirder during the middle of season 2, The Office lost steam after Pam and Jim got together, Chuck lost focus after season 2 and started to reinvent itself each season with less and less success, every episode of SNL is always "the worst episode ever", not even Glee fans like Glee, no one agrees on anything with Doctor Who, Supernatural fans either dropped off at season 5 or continued on with it, Futurama was in a perpetual "eh" state after the first finale, people got tired of Phineas and Ferb after the fifth episode, people are swearing off Arrested Development thanks to the fourth season...

I could go on, really. That doesn't stop those shows from either being amazing or having an extremely devoted fanbase. HIMYM got 9 seasons, Friends got 10, I've lost count of how many The Simpsons has had (20 something?), Doctor Who has been on since the 60s, SNL has been on since the 70s, Futurama got four movies and a revival, Family Guy came back twice, The Office was an adaptation of a UK show and lasted 9 times as long, Phineas and Ferb started a cartoon revolution, and Supernatural fans are scary.

Shows hit a decline, or are always in decline, or started in a decline, or what have you. Shows change and evolve and adapt to current pop culture trends and they're malleable enough to always be something new and exciting, so we're not going to get another "Pizza Delivery" or "Band Geeks" or "Christmas Who?" because those were episodes for a different time.

Former writing staff isn't going to fix anything. They're going to have to pander to what the target demographic wants, and, because Spongebob still isn't canceled, that means the target demographic enjoys what they have now. Nickelodeon isn't going to just say "oh, you want to do it the way you used to? okay, cool, we don't need money anymore". People older than 8 probably aren't going to be buying Spongebob merchandise (though of course there are exceptions) so there's no need to pander to a demographic that Nickelodeon doesn't care about. From the looks of it, there's going to be a whole new writing staff for post-movie 2, and they're going to change up the formula throughout the first post-movie 2 season to figure out what works and what doesn't, and then they'll stick with what works because they probably want jobs for the foreseeable future (and you can't have a job if your show gets canned). If that means going back to old ways, then great! Good for us! That means older kids can stop complaining about how Spongebob isn't as good as it used to be! If it means doing something completely different and alienates the older kids and the kids that just grew out of the target demographic, then so be it, because that's what it'll take to keep the show going and to keep turning profits and to keep their jobs.

terminoob for best debater

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1